Lateral Side Raise-Sit or Stand

Options
I sit when doing lateral side raises but I’ve also seen folks standing while doing them. Which way is best?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Sitting is slightly more difficult because you can't "flex" your knees to help use a little momentum to move the weight up. What I WILL say is that many people do the side lateral raise incorrectly usually when I see them perform the exercise. Elbows SHOULD NOT be locked, but slightly bent. Also elbows should be higher than the wrists to keep the tension on the side delts and not shift them to the front delts. There are other variations to help stress the side delt more, but doing those 2 should be emphasized first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've actually moved to lying cable variation; again, less ability to cheat using legs in the seated & lying positions.
    Elbows somewhat straight (very little bend but not quite locked) removes leverage (creates greater difficulty) & keeping the ROM towards the top of the movement pattern keeps tension on the deltoids (do not let arms drop down to the sides).

This is an absolutely brutal variation (especially the first time you try it):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDvoMuLAoYM
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try kneeling. Its also a great variation. I actually stand because im lifting heavy. When i drop weights i kneel on both knees. Abs are super exgaged back straight.

I hardly ever sit for exercises.