for the love of healthy CONDIMENTS!! <3

Options
What are YOUR favorite condiments that are HEALTHY.. low in sugar & sodium :love: (amazing if it's lowwwww in sugar & sodium!!)

I miss the mayo & hot sauce. All I basically use for my condiments for cooking is McCormicks salt free seasonings (0 cals) & laughing cow light cheese wedges (35 cals per wedge)

I've seen alot of diaries on here with "Kraft light" .. is it as healthy as it seems? Thanks everyone to those that respond. :)

Replies

• abeachlady
    Options
    salsa!
  • Sanjanapahalad
    Sanjanapahalad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All sorts of different kinds of mustard, just look at the labels to avoid sugar! I even make my own: mix chipotle powder with any regular mustard!! Gives my food an extra kick without added salt!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this. Best I can find is mustard.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    I put guacamole or mashed up avocado with nothing added. Delicious!!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Vinegars. Apple cider, tarragon, red wine, rice, and balsamic are one's I've tried and loved!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I use the Kraft olive oil mayo, which is about half the calories of regular, but very sparingly. I have started using reduced fat sour cream on sandwiches in place of mayo (still can't take it for a burger, though). Mustard is good and adds a lot of flavor. And I prefer garlic powder or minced garlic and lemon juice as seasoning. Haven't been able to get away from the salt completely, but I'm working on it.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Fresh salsa is my favorite. I also don't need anything but tomato slices on a sandwich.
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki! Best if homemade:)
  • Dwight256
    Options
    I like cracked peppercorn or garlic pepper for meats; no sodium! I use Beano's horseradish sauce on my sandwiches, which I think is acceptably healthy in low doses while still delicious (20 calories per teaspoon, I usually use two teaspoons per sandwich). I still use Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce on chicken, but it's not very healthy and I have to use very small amounts as more of a dipping sauce.

If anyone knows a good low sodium barbecue sauce, I am all ears.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options

What is that????
  • squintana1979
    Options
    I usually mash up an avocado and schmear it on my sandwiches in place of mayonnaise. I LOVE spicy mustard (just gotta do some label reading) and I am a Hummus addict. I spread that stuff on anything and everything. I also like to use it for dunking organic blue corn tortillas chips. Hell, I'd swim in a tub of that stuff if I could. Crackheads need crack...but I my friends, need HUMMUS! :p
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    What are YOUR favorite condiments that are HEALTHY.. low in sugar & sodium :love: (amazing if it's lowwwww in sugar & sodium!!)

I miss the mayo & hot sauce. All I basically use for my condiments for cooking is McCormicks salt free seasonings (0 cals) & laughing cow light cheese wedges (35 cals per wedge)

I've seen alot of diaries on here with "Kraft light" .. is it as healthy as it seems? Thanks everyone to those that respond. :)

None of the packaged / bottled salad dressings, mayonnaise are healthy; especially the "Light" versions..........there is added sugar to those light dressings and mayo.

make your own ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayo and salad dressings. Besides being healthier, they taste much, much better.
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Organic Salsa, Homemade Hummus, and Fage 0% Yogurt with spices!
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options

What is that????

Greek yogurt dip like they serve on gyro's but being Greek I know it as my number one condiment!
    To make a small batch for dipping and stuff use 1 6oz cup of dannan Greek strained plain yogurt (make sure it's plain!) and grate half of a large cucumber and add it to the yogurt, stir in a little minced garlic, tsp of lemon juice, and 2 tsps of dill and you have tzatiki!
    I dip it with pita or veggies also goes great on turkey burgers or chicken...it's my everything condiment and only comes in at about 30 calories per serving:)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt dip like they serve on gyro's but being Greek I know it as my number one condiment!
    To make a small batch for dipping and stuff use 1 6oz cup of dannan Greek strained plain yogurt (make sure it's plain!) and grate half of a large cucumber and add it to the yogurt, stir in a little minced garlic, tsp of lemon juice, and 2 tsps of dill and you have tzatiki!
    I dip it with pita or veggies also goes great on turkey burgers or chicken...it's my everything condiment and only comes in at about 30 calories per serving:)

oh man I need to save that!!
  • crisrg
    crisrg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe