Just started C25K and I have questions...

Options
I have been on MVP for a month and a half. I have lost 22 pounds and I have been exercising 5-6 times a week since I started. I currently weigh 243. I have never run before and I am on my first week of C25K.
My question:
1. Is it normal to be sore--borderline in pain when you first start? Mostly in my feet, shins and most painful in my lower back. I was expecting my body to be a little sore.
2, Am I too heavy to be running? Would it be better to wait until I lose more weight?

I don't want to quit if that is common at the beginning--
Would love to hear from those who started this program at my weight!

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• dtvick548
    Options
    You might want to go to a running store and have them look at your stride. If you alter your stride and use a more "barefoot" stride then your shins should feel better.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am thinking about starting it, and an nervous about doing it at my size. I would love to see some of the responses.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Look at where you are running too. When I started C25K I ran down our seawall which is a hard sidewalk and developed sore shins. Definetely have your stride evaluated and get shoes that fit you and your stride best. And don't push too hard in the beginning, save speed for later when you are more fit.

As far as your size, as long as you don't push too hard you should be fine. I see a guy everyday running who must be around 400+ pounds. If he can do it you definetely can. He is really inspiring to me.
  • Stoicus
    Stoicus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I posted this in a similar thread, so am pasting it here for you:

I hadn't run since school, over 17 years ago, but started C25K this year because I'd seen so many people happy with the results. I'm on week 5, and absolutely loving it! I can offer some advice following the program, through my trial and error and hope that it helps.

Whenever I struggled with a 'Day' I would repeat it the next time I ran. I repeated week 4 twice before moving on to week 5. I think it's important to listen to what your body is telling you, this is supposed to be a gradual exercise.

I found my shins hurt a lot from certain muscles being used in a way they weren't used to. There are quite a few videos on You Tube, that show how you can strengthen up these muscles. I do these and hardly ever get any pain now.

Running shoes, like Asics, made a big difference supporting my feet. There are quite a few types and prices, you'd do well to research it a bit first or get advice from a sports store.

Make sure you have at least one rest day between runs, by that I mean do something else, just don't run.

If you are struggling when running, try not to stop but jog at a crawl if you have to.

I use runkeeper to track me when I'm running outside (on my phone) and it's really interesting looking at the stats, like pace and cals burned to get you going.

Don't give up, just keep repeating till it gets easier. It is a real achievement high, each and every time you complete a day and then a week. I've seen dramatic improvements in my health and weight loss because of it.

Hope that helps some :)
  • Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Options
    I started c25k at about 225lb but I'm only short. Yes its sore, get yourself some really good running shoes. Running on a non concrete surface helps too. I got foot pain, calf pain all sorts. Make sure that you never run 2 consectutive days!

You definitely aren't too heavy, just take it at a jogging pace and you'll be great! I started it last September, I ran a 10k a month ago! It works!
  • kx2270
    kx2270 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started running with C25K about a year and a half ago. Since, I've done two half marathons. I have never been as sore as I was the first week of C25K. Just remember to stretch and that the muscle soreness is just you growing stronger.

I DEFINITELY recommend getting fitted for some running shoes. The shoes will probably be costly ($100) but if running is something you're serious about, it's worth it. A good running store will fit you for free and recommend a few shoes that work for you. Don't feel bad about going online and looking for a better deal on these shoes. (The shoes I wear are only $5 more at the store than online so I just buy them at the store. Instant gratification.)

I second running on softer, even surfaces and doing some strengthening of your shin muscles. Also make sure you don't increase mileage too quickly. (If you're following C25K, this shouldn't be a problem.)

When you get to the end of week 5, don't freak out. You are ready! And you'll feel so awesome after you've completed it!
  • chdltrno
    Options
    Although I am not starting from your weight, I agree with dtvick548. Having the correct shoes for your feet and pronation is a must. I took a quick look at c25k and I think that from nothing to a 5k in 9 weeks is a bit fast. I used to teach running clinics (learn to runs, 5km, 10km, half and full marathons) I would start with just getting the routine in. Get out and walk 3 or 4 times a week (minimum) and after a few weeks of developing a routine, start with a 5 or 10 minute walk followed by a 1 - 2 min run (easy pace, by this I mean you should always be able to carry on a conversation). Do a 2 min run followed by a 2 min walk with 4 or 5 repeats (4 or 5 - 2 minute runs). Every week add a 2 minute run until you feel like it is becoming easy. Then step it up to a 10 min warm up, followed by 5 min intervals and so on. Make sure you stretch well, this will also help. The Stark reality of stretching is a good read (you can scan over it at any book store). Get to the 5k when you are comfortable with the distance. If you push too hard, too fast, it will make it harder to stick with it.
    If possible get the right shoes and maybe do the first few weeks on a treadmill. The treadmill will help absorb the pounding on your legs and back.

Keep it up, we are all here with you!
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    2, Am I too heavy to be running? Would it be better to wait until I lose more weight?

I don't want to quit if that is common at the beginning--
    Would love to hear from those who started this program at my weight!

Thanks for your help!!

Hi!!!! First congrats on getting healthy :) I started MFP at 243, your weight now, I've only lost 11 lbs (232) and I started C25K Sunday just past. I've had some shin splints, but I think its because I never ran prior to this app, mainly treadmill walking, and elliptical. I've adjusted my stride, and it has helped alot. I think your legs are just getting used to the ground/and or treadmill, but it could be stride, shoes, etc.

I think your sx are common....anybody can correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes! Make sure they are the right ones. Some soreness is normal, but some can be fixed with the right equipment. Also, don't try to do too much too soon - that will also lead to injury. Like the other poster said, if you have to repeat a week that's perfectly fine! Take it slow and easy. There will always be roads to run on and races to sign up for!

And NO, you're not "too heavy". You just need the right gear. :) Best of luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I started running when I started here (at 125kg or 275lb). Here are the things I learned...

-Get good shoes. Go to a sports store and tell them what you're doing. In my words 'I'm attempting to run, but will probably walk more than run for the first few weeks.. and I'm working up to running. I'm determined not to have s***ty shoes as my excuse for quitting'

-SLOW DOWN. I tried to run way too fast at the start. I'm pretty sure I could walk faster than I ran when I slowed down, but I was able to stick to the run times. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable in my stride I can go a bit faster.

-Breathe. You won't die, even though you feel like you're about to.

I haven't ventured outside yet - just going on the treadmill at the gym. The treadmills at my gym all have tvs on them so I tune into the music channel and off I go. Distract myself so that I'm not concentrating on how much it hurts/how long to go/trying to breathe and that is working for me.

And finally... bask in the glow once you're done. It feels amazing and you need to remember that feeling the next time you start. The first 10 minutes always suck for me, but if I think about what I'll feel like when I'm finished that's enough motivation to get me through.
  • floridagirl40
    floridagirl40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't quit - good job for starting!!

I agree with everyone, get good shoes... it took me too long to get this! I did research, tested my stride.. never jogged/ran in my life! got a good pair of Brooks.. my shins hurt sometimes, I ice them everytime I jog..

Also, I LOVE - LOVE my heart monitor.. It keeps me so motivated.

Stretch when you are done... take it from someone who thought they could never do it... chronic shin splints, sore heels, bad knees... you can do it.. take it slow... ;)
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your responses! soooooo encouraging! i will keep trying!!