vegetarian diary share?

Options
2»

Replies

• rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have added you, I'm not a vegertarian (yet) but I'm seriously considering switching to a vegetarian diet. Can anyone recommend any supplements of vitamins I should stock up on?

Being a veggi and having a normal healthy body is simple.There is no need to stockpile vitamins/supplements as such.
  • tklarakis
    Options
    I am vegetarian, and just starting MFP, feel free to add me guys and gals!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have added you, I'm not a vegertarian (yet) but I'm seriously considering switching to a vegetarian diet. Can anyone recommend any supplements of vitamins I should stock up on?

I recommend that you first be much more concerned with getting adequate protein.

That being said, to answer your question - vegetarian diets are often zinc deficient (although you can eat meat and remove red meat/chicken and still turn up zinc deficient). As a female, you may also be more likely to be iron deficient as a vegetarian.

Along with what she said about B12 above, I would also make sure you get adequate calcium from dairy.

I wouldn't be too concerned with protein as a vegetarian, perhaps as a vegan, but dairy products have plenty of protein and calcium. Nuts and seeds also have a lot of zinc and iron, so I wouldn't worry there either. I get plenty of calcium and zinc on my "vegan" days, and most certainly on my vegetarian days. So unless you're thinking of being a vegetarian that doesn't eat a whole foods, plant-based diet (junk food), then I really wouldn't worry.
  • loubabes1
    loubabes1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much! I think my biggest issue will be forgetting whiole I do my weekly shop :)

Giving it a shot anyway - glad to hear such positive feedback!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I recommend that you first be much more concerned with getting adequate protein.

That being said, to answer your question - vegetarian diets are often zinc deficient (although you can eat meat and remove red meat/chicken and still turn up zinc deficient). As a female, you may also be more likely to be iron deficient as a vegetarian.

Along with what she said about B12 above, I would also make sure you get adequate calcium from dairy.

I wouldn't be too concerned with protein as a vegetarian, perhaps as a vegan, but dairy products have plenty of protein and calcium. Nuts and seeds also have a lot of zinc and iron, so I wouldn't worry there either. I get plenty of calcium and zinc on my "vegan" days, and most certainly on my vegetarian days. So unless you're thinking of being a vegetarian that doesn't eat a whole foods, plant-based diet (junk food), then I really wouldn't worry.

I have been a vegan for 5 years (including my partner and 2 children) and have never had a problem with protein, iron, calcium or zinc. I always get more than enough on a daily basis. It all depends on the foods you eat. If you eat plenty of nuts, seeds, kale, spinach, broccolli, tofu, tempeh, seitan, you cannot be deficient in these nutrients. I would be worried about eating too much dairy as casein is known for causing cancer.
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sending a request! I would love to share diaries!
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian- I don't eat the healthiest ever but feel free to add me& look at my diary. I do eat eggs& dairy.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Former lacto ovo, newly vegan. Hands down the best decision I've ever made for my health/animals/the environment.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you friend me, my diary is open - I am a long term vegetarian.
  • thereseofdoom
    thereseofdoom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can friend me too if you'd like. I've been vegetarian for 15 years.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My diary is open! You guys can add me!

I feel like I'll eat better if people can see it all.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm vegan. Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends :)
  • boisevore
    boisevore Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I wouldnt worry about protein or calcium, plenty to be had in a vegan / vegetarian diet if you stay away from the processed junk most tend to float to. Also the dietary needs or protein are grossly exaggerated in america. For b12 try some nutritional yeast hear and there or take a vegxxn multi like alive or deva if you are concerned. Good luck!
  • boisevore
    boisevore Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My diary is also open feel free to add me. Adding more vegan food to it every day :D
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too! Feel free to add me :)
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My diary is open! You guys can add me!

I feel like I'll eat better if people can see it all.

Haha, I feel the same way!
  • evalosesit
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, too!
    Feel free to add me and check out my diary!
    Today I made pizza.. hummmmmm!! :D