Consistantly going my daily fiber allowance

Options
I joined MFP about three weeks ago. I am finding that I consistantly go over my daily fiber allowance even though I am staying under my calorie intake. Is this bad? Isn't fiber a "good" thing?

Any feedback will be welcome.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• sandra4562
    Options
    I keep going over too.. Is that bad?
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I dont see how it could be bad. could you tell me how you are getting so much fiber in? I would like to increase my fiber intake
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem. As long as you are getting enough protein and healthy fats I wouldn't worry about it.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eating too much fiber might make you have gas otherwise it's perfectly healthy according to my doctor
  • ktaygal
    ktaygal Posts: 10
    Options
    You really can't get too much fiber. I noticed that mfp had pretty low suggested fiber amounts, so I went in and changed mine. Doctors say about 25 grams of fiber a day, but I've heard the more you have, the better! I've read, too that people who live to be over 100, almost all got at least 26 grams of fiber a day!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I too go over consistently and I did experience the gas thing at first, but now my body seems to have gotten used to it and no longer a problem (not more then the normal at least!!). hehe
  • pcox0624
    pcox0624 Posts: 20
    Options
    I usually eat a 6" veggie subway for lunch, I have had a peach and some blackberries. I haven't had dinner yet and I'm already 3 over on the fiber....I have always been told to eat alot of fiber :smile:
  • ZStardust
    Options
    No, fiber is good, as Americans we rarely get enough let alone too much. I too always go over my fiber number. Remember these numbers are suggested not written in stone. Otherwise how are you doing, feeling? Those are the things that count.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Fiber is known to aid weight loss; however, the health benefits of fiber are really what make it such a priority in my daily nutrition goals.

It promotes healthy bowel function (keeps you “regular”), reduces risk of hemorrhoids and diverticulitis, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and slows the absorption of sugar – particularly important for diabetics as it can help regulate blood sugar (and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes).

Beans, oats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, and nuts and seeds are all high in fiber.

It is important to note that MFP does NOT give you a high enough fiber goal in your diary – according to the Mayo Clinic, men under 50 should aim for 38 grams/day (over 50 should have 30 grams) and women under 50 should aim for 25 grams/day (21 grams for over 50).

**On a side note, make sure you get plenty of water because otherwise lots of fiber will plug you up worse than if you didn't get enough fiber!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protein.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the default level that MFP sets for fiber is too low. I raised mine to 25 grams, which is more in line with actual recommendations.