How to determine number of servings/nutrition info from a home recipe?

sparkyvenkman
sparkyvenkman Posts: 115 Member
edited April 2019 in Recipes
I make a pretty good chili, I use V8 juice, lean meat and a prepackaged thing of spices that are all measured out. In addition to the canned chili and kidney beans. Before I started my weight management program I never really knew how many servings a pot of my chili produces nor its nutritional info. Do I just make it up and count and calculate all the ingredients together and divide them by the number of cups the recipe produces? I'm really curious as to what kind of info I will see.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I enter the total weight of the finished product in grams as the number of servings. That way I can just log the number of grams I eat. 1g = 1 serving.

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2019
    For anything with a good amount of solids, I would highly suggest weighing instead of measuring. One cup one day could be all juice and the next day all meat...not going to be accurate at all.

Weigh it all, add it all, divide it by how much you want each to be.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i do what kami does - except a make my servings 1oz - rather than 1g - i makes it easier to visualize how much i can potentially eat to hit my macros for the day
  • chrisbloom65
    chrisbloom65 Posts: 2 Member
    That is one area I am having a hard time with! Still can’t get it right!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Remember to weigh the water you use.

When I started trying to make stuff I paid attention to the calories I was putting in, then neglected to count the mass.