Intermittent fasting

Options
I started my intermittent fasting about a week ago and I haven’t lost any weight. I do 16/8 . I work night shift so sometimes I’ll have a yogurt or some almonds if I’m starving, should I be not eating at all? I drink lots of water and eat as healthy as I can. I also work out 30 mins a day. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    You can do IF and still not be in a calorie deficit. Have you been tracking your intake over this period as well?
  • RandomBotUser
    RandomBotUser Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do If most days but you HAVE to be in a calorie deficit to see real weight loss. And if you are maybe its water weight? Too much sodium?
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you should definitely track what you are eating. perhaps try changing your fasting hours since you are a night shift person?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I started my intermittent fasting about a week ago and I haven’t lost any weight. I do 16/8 . I work night shift so sometimes I’ll have a yogurt or some almonds if I’m starving, should I be not eating at all? I drink lots of water and eat as healthy as I can. I also work out 30 mins a day. What am I doing wrong?

Be patient...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Is that outside of your eating window?
  • colwellk
    colwellk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be consuming any calories at all during your fasting window on IF, so if you're snacking during the fasting hours, it's not IF. But you should think about how to schedule your windows in a way that works for you. For me, I sleep 10p-6a and work 8a-4:30p. When I was doing 20/4, I was eating 5-9p. I found that waking up during the fast, the workday wasn't too bad for me. But you may find that you need to eat a good meal before your workday. Say you work 10p-6a and typically sleep 8a-4p. Maybe you want to have your eating window be 4-12, so you can eat when you wake up and again before your shift and a late "lunch" at midnight. Or maybe you want your eating window to be midnight to 8, so you are only fasting for a part of your shift.

I ended up switching to two 24-hour fasts per week. It works for me and isn't a restriction in my lifestyle with my family and friends. I do lunch to lunch, noon to noon, and I find that easier. I'm only hungry at bedtime the first day.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    IF does mean no snacking in your 16 hour window. Track it all in your 8 hr window.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

You are eating in your fasting window. Honey, you are not supposed to eat at all during that window. There are things you can drink that wont break your fast. Fledge Fitness, Thomas Delauer and Dr. Berg on You Tube have some good videos about it....😀
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options

You are eating in your fasting window. Honey, you are not supposed to eat at all during that window. There are things you can drink that wont break your fast. Fledge Fitness, Thomas Delauer and Dr. Berg on You Tube have some good videos about it....😀

Even if she’s breaking her fast, if she’s maintaining a calorie deficit than she should be losing weight.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    calabrdm wrote: »
    If you eat the Almonds, you break your fast. Search on Youtube for the intermittent fasting complete guide by Thomas DeLauer. When I started, I watched that. You can ONLY have water (add a teaspoon of salt) to ward against dizziness, pure green tea, black tea and black coffee. I do two 24 hour fasts a week... dinner to dinner. When I eat dinner on my fasting day, I only eat 500-600 calories. When you break your fast, you should drink a cup of BONE broth. Your first meal should be a protein and a fat. I eat scrambled eggs and macadamia nuts. It is easy peasy... Costs nothing... and I lost 16 pounds already since January 1.

thats AWESOME CALAB! I LOST 10 IN 3 weeks.
  • MyLittleLeos
    MyLittleLeos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started IF last Monday and I am down 7.8 pounds (1 week). I am eating between 1 pm and 9 pm. I only drink water during the fasting time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!