Protein powder without sucralose

Options
So, I've been trying to start using some protein powder to go along with my diet. The only problem is that every single flavoured one that I've found (and I want flavour) is sweetened with sucralose. I just can't stand the taste of sucralose in any product what-so-ever, it's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

So, does anyone know of flavoured protein powder that isn't too expensive and isn't sweetened with sucralose?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use BodyLogix whey protein, which uses stevia.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of Sucralose either so I use the Naked whey protein range made by The Protein Works - sweetened with Stevia which to me just tastes moderately sweet without an after taste.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Why protein powder? Are you trying to bulk up? Yes protein is important in the weight loss arena but powders are normally used when there aren't enough choices to get it from food due to allergies or simply not liking a particular food.

Otherwise, why not try something like powdered peanut butter? Or just stick to foods that give you good sources of protein? It doesn't have to be meat, poultry or fish...Many plants also contain high forms of protein...pumpkin seed kernels have a whopping 16g per 1/4 cup and taste delicious!

Also low fat dairy is an excellent source of protein. 2% SKYR style yogurt contains 21g of protein in 3/4 of a cup at only 130 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I think sucralose is nasty.

For vanilla PP, I use Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, which is not sweetened at all. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option has some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)

For chocolate, I use Whole Foods 365 Chocolate Whey, which is sweetened with sugar and some stevia. I didn't care for the stevia aftertaste in their Vanilla, but don't notice it in the chocolate. This can be purchased from Amazon, but currently only through Prime Pantry. I get it from WF via Prime Now.

I add ingredients to my protein shakes for fat, fiber, and more flavor.
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

The reason I use protein powder is because I need something light before going to the gym which will keep me going for a few hours. And any sort of solid food will make me feel sick (yoghurt included), so a protein shake is a good option.
  • olseniteachem
    olseniteachem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use unflavored protein: ISOPURE Whey Protein Isolate and add vanilla or other flavor extracts in mine. Watkins coconut extract is excellent.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I drink "Orgain Clean Protein" shakes when I'm in a pinch for time in the mornings. Completly organic as the name implies- and hormone free. Sweetened with stevia and monkfruit- the chocolate is really tasty acutally. Available at Walmart if you wanted to try it
  • asliceofjackie
    Options
    I'll see if I can find any of these suggestions! I do live in Sweden so I might not have them all available to me.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started on this journey--I didn't want sweetener of any kind. My go-to is Jarrow whey protein powder, unflavored. That way, I can add the flavors (and sweeteners) I want and add it to whatever for a protein boost. (Including Kodiak cake mix, which I highly recommend, as well.)
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'll see if I can find any of these suggestions! I do live in Sweden so I might not have them all available to me.

I know the orgain is also avialable on amazon.com
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Us an unflavored/unsweetened powder and add your own flavor and sweetening.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use a unflavored whey protein called Eidopro. It doesn't contain any added sugar or artificial sweeteners. I pop it in a green smoothie or chocolate milk. Mixes up good with just a blender bottle.
  • mbarkitek
    mbarkitek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recommend https://arbonne.com/Pws/RebeccaReynoso/store/AMUS/product/Vanilla-Protein-Shake-Mix-Powder-2070,1476,272.aspx.
    It has CANE SUGAR - so real sugar and I know that sugar may be an issue in general especially on certain diets.
    It is 7 grams per serving - which is acceptable to me.
    It is not grainy and doesnt take fake to me like many others.
    I am pretty sure they are based in europe so you should be able to get it.
  • asliceofjackie
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies and tips! I've managed to get my eyes on both some which simply use real sugar, and ones that are sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame-K, same as in most diet sodas etc. So it's definitely sweetners that I've had before and that I believe I can live with, lol. Haven't decided which one to purchase yet, but I'll be on the look out next time I get money in!

Thanks again for all the tips!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Why protein powder? Are you trying to bulk up? Yes protein is important in the weight loss arena but powders are normally used when there aren't enough choices to get it from food due to allergies or simply not liking a particular food.

Otherwise, why not try something like powdered peanut butter? Or just stick to foods that give you good sources of protein? It doesn't have to be meat, poultry or fish...Many plants also contain high forms of protein...pumpkin seed kernels have a whopping 16g per 1/4 cup and taste delicious!

Also low fat dairy is an excellent source of protein. 2% SKYR style yogurt contains 21g of protein in 3/4 of a cup at only 130 calories.

Much of the info above is just not correct. Nut butters are very low in protein and mostly fat. Pumpkin seeds contain 12 grams of protein in a cup (64 grams). Nuts and seeds are known best for their healthy fats. Not their protein content. This is fairly accessible information via the internet.

I agree that non fat dairy and skyr as well as greek yogurt are good sources of protein. There is nothing wrong with supplementing with whey powder. It is a good source of protein for a fairly low calorie load.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bob’s Red Mill has some. I think they’re sweetened with monk fruit and sugar. The flavors are vanilla, chocolate, and chai. I think the sugar content is 2-4 g per two scoops. Good luck!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    The one I use is only available in Australia, but it's a vegan protein powder sweetened with Stevia. My issue with normal whey is farting and with artificial sweeteners is major bloating, so the vegan option works well. I'm sure you could get comparable products over there.