Ab Exercises

Options
Jcorn7
Jcorn7 Posts: 25 Member
Hello, I was wondering what ab exercises to do to get abs quickly. I know about core workouts such as planks, situps, crunches, leg lifts/raises, etc. What is an ab workout routine I can do daily to get abs faster? I'd like to feel them sore after doing the workout. Thanks.

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Without more information about you to go on ...
    Your best bet will likely be to lose down to a super low body fat so the abs you do have will show better.
  • Jcorn7
    Options
    I've lost 54 pounds since I've started my weight loss journey in mid-December. I know belly/hip fat is generally the last to go, but I feel like I keep losing weight and the mid-section weight stays the same. I'm trying to get rid of hip fat and belly fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that is genetics, you lose where you lose. Keep at the deficit, lift weights making sure your core and abs are stimulated, and get adequate protein.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Having abs is a matter of having a low enough body fat percentage to see them. If you've got a relatively low bf% and still cant see them then then you may just not have them, but there are no quick fixes for that. Muscle growth is a slow process. As mentioned, being sore isn't an indicator of an effective workout. Now this is a matter of personal experience, but I saw the most amount of strength increase and muscle growth in my core as a result of compound exercises like deadlifts and squats. On the rare occasion that I specifically target my core I use an ab roller and do leg lifts and raises most often.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Jcorn7 wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering what ab exercises to do to get abs quickly. I know about core workouts such as planks, situps, crunches, leg lifts/raises, etc. What is an ab workout routine I can do daily to get abs faster? I'd like to feel them sore after doing the workout. Thanks.

None of those exercises will give you abs. We all have a 6 pack, just covered in fat, what you need to do is lose enough fat to reveal them. And you can't target fat loss, so doing ab work will not burn stomach fat.

the exercise you mentioned will strengthen your core, but that doesn't give you abs.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I guess the question really is what is your ultimate goal?

As everyone else has pointed out, you need to have low body fat. Otherwise your carefully worked on abs will be covered up.

6-packs are obtainable, but it is much easier for some individuals to do than others based on genetics and the type of exercise done. Also males have easier time than females.

There's also those going for the smoother, leaner look...think dancers.

What you want will determine what sort of exercises and work outs you want to do.

Finally, a word of warning: ab work must always be done with a bigger view towards core strength. Over-focus on the abs, and not also on lower back and other core muscles is a great way to BACK PAIN.

• Jcorn7
    Options
    How does one figure out their body fat percentage withiut going to a special facility to get it measured?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've lost 54 pounds since I've started my weight loss journey in mid-December. I know belly/hip fat is generally the last to go, but I feel like I keep losing weight and the mid-section weight stays the same. I'm trying to get rid of hip fat and belly fat.

Ab exercises will not spot reduce fat in your midsection. For visible abs, you need to be very, very lean...typically 10% or less. All the ab exercises in the world will not provide for visible abs if you aren't very, very lean.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Be consistent with your training and nutrition. There are no "get abs quick exercises" so really what you need to do is manage your expectations...
  • Jcorn7
    Options
    By quick, I don't mean overnight. I mean I am looking for a routine that won't take a year or multiple years.
  • erickirb
    edited April 2019
    Options
    By quick, I don't mean overnight. I mean I am looking for a routine that won't take a year or multiple years.

Adequate protein and a structured lifting program (to maintain lean muscle mass) along with a caloric deficit to lose at a reasonable rate, will get you definition at some point. your current fat mass, and genetics (where you lose fat) will dictate how long it will take to see your abs.
  • erickirb
    Options
    How does one figure out their body fat percentage withiut going to a special facility to get it measured?

You can use visual reprecentations on line, or calapers. none of those will be exact, but can give you a rough idea. That said, knowing your body fat % wont do anything for you to see abs, the mirrior will tell you if you need to lose more weight or not.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    knowing your body fat % wont do anything for you to see abs, the mirrior will tell you if you need to lose more weight or not.

^^^This...
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Planks are a good place to start. But you need to lose body fat to see abs. Sorry.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    This is my go to for core training...

http://jasonferruggia.com/gymnastic-secret-stronger-abs/
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen." - every trainer or body builder I know (and that's at least 6)

Lean protein in the diet is as important as the exercise you do. Don't just concentrate on the abs, because as someone said, that could lead to low back pain. (trust me, you don't want LBP)

I have a scale that measures body fat. It's not as accurate as a professional measurement, but it's available for weekly use and I can see myself going the right direction.

Good luck!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I love that article and send it to people all the time too. It's a great progression to get people to hollow body holds. However, it doesn't cover the reverse side. To @melissafeagins point, don't forget to work your lower back as well. Do superman holds along with hollow body's.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I love that article and send it to people all the time too. It's a great progression to get people to hollow body holds. However, it doesn't cover the reverse side. To @melissafeagins point, don't forget to work your lower back as well. Do superman holds along with hollow body's.

100%
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Table pushaways and fork putdowns will get you abs fastest.