Bridesmaid dress-I'm still too big!

Options
I'm in a friend's wedding on June 22. The bridesmaids dresses were purchased February 2018. I don't remember how much I weighed then but there's no way it was much different than now - 10 lb at most - and yet this dress is still so far from being able to be done up! I'm freaking out!
5unldzjduz5w.jpeg

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Well you could lose 10 lbs by then but if that isn't enough you will have to have the dress altered. It is hard to tell without someone holding the zipper together exactly how far away you are from fitting it. It looks quite delicate though but maybe a silk panel could be put in.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/corsetkit/corset-kit-zipper-replacement-dress-alteration/

Good luck
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    find a good seamstress and have them do a couple of panels in the back; or see if you can express order a larger version of the dress - if they were ordered over a year ago - did they show up then or was it a delayed shipping - do you have any record of the measurements that you provided (could they have screwed up and sent you a wrong size?)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Did you order it small? If not, I'd be inclined to think they sent the wrong size, because 10 pounds really isn't enough of a difference, I don't think - hard to say the way the pic is taken. How many inches is the zipper from closing at the widest point? Could it be converted to a corset back?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ok I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s not as dire as it looks. You are holding your arm out to take the picture so it looks like a huge gap to zip up but I think you could do this by the wedding. It’s 60 days + to the wedding. Try to lose 1.5 pounds/week by June 10. Get a spanx or other clothing shaper to cinch in the upper body. The dress looks like it fits you on the waist/hips so it can’t be that bad. See a tailor/seamstress today and tell her your plan. Make sure she/he has enough time to fit the dress if you bring it to her say June 10th , what it would cost and how the alteration could be done. Every week put the dress on and have a friend measure the actual gap to see if you are making progress. If it fit in February it can fit in June. Keep this post as your blog and post your progress! You can do it!
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you can get a 'lace up' panel put into the back. Go to a good seamstress who can do this for you. Also make sure the bride knows what you are planning on doing ;)
  • KillaLindzilla
    KillaLindzilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For my sister's wedding, I was in a similar position. When I tried on the dress at the shop, it fit perfectly but by the time I got it I gained weight and also found out the sample at the shop was stretched out from so many people trying it on, so the brand new dress was tighter. I couldn't lose the weight in time, so I ended up going to the seamstress, who couldn't just let it out a bit because it was way too tight. She ended up getting the same fabric and taking out the zipper and making a beautiful corset back. I would talk to the bride and see if she would be fine with you making modifications to the dress or if she thinks you should get a new one. You could lose weight but who knows if you'll lose it in the right areas to be able to fit into it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It is tough because the zipper at the seam is really hard to get over for some dresses if it's even the littlest bit tight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Go to a tailor! Don't stress, they should be able to make it work.
  • heathermm1983
    heathermm1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    If my weight loss continues as it has been so far I should be able to lost f least another 10 by the wedding but agree it might not be where I need it to be. Will definitely add in strength exercises.
    I tried measuring the dress taken off, zipped up, and stretched out (I realize this isn't the best way to check things out but I live alone so I did my best haha). It seemed like I need to lose 3".
    I definitely should have someone else hold it to see how bad it is because you're right, the actual distance isn't as much as showing in the pic.

The dress wasn't purchased small, it was purchased to fit when I bought it. However, I didn't try on this style in this size as they didn't have it - I tried on the size up and after pinning this is the size they said I would need. Another bridesmaid got the same size dress and yet I do feel like she was smaller than me so perhaps they did things wrong. I'll call them to see if they have the measurements they took that day.
    The bride has said she'll bring me along with her when she goes for her alterations (having spoken to the seamstress of course) and that we'll see what can be done at that time.
    Definitely can't spend another $200 on a larger dress!!

I'll keep this post updated. Thanks again and fingers crossed!!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    If my weight loss continues as it has been so far I should be able to lost f least another 10 by the wedding but agree it might not be where I need it to be. Will definitely add in strength exercises.
    I tried measuring the dress taken off, zipped up, and stretched out (I realize this isn't the best way to check things out but I live alone so I did my best haha). It seemed like I need to lose 3".
    I definitely should have someone else hold it to see how bad it is because you're right, the actual distance isn't as much as showing in the pic.

The dress wasn't purchased small, it was purchased to fit when I bought it. However, I didn't try on this style in this size as they didn't have it - I tried on the size up and after pinning this is the size they said I would need. Another bridesmaid got the same size dress and yet I do feel like she was smaller than me so perhaps they did things wrong. I'll call them to see if they have the measurements they took that day.
    The bride has said she'll bring me along with her when she goes for her alterations (having spoken to the seamstress of course) and that we'll see what can be done at that time.
    Definitely can't spend another $200 on a larger dress!!

I'll keep this post updated. Thanks again and fingers crossed!!

You have my empathy. I had to buy a new bridesmaid dress because of weight gain. There was no saving it because I had gained so much so fast. It's not a fun feeling.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If it comes down to the eleventh hour, I also can gently recommend a corset or girdle. Do not ask me how I came upon this knowledge. Good luck!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Get a better tailor.