Activity

Options
Hi am I active or lightly active. I've since dropped my 40 min cardio workout I do a day to 2 days a week but walk at least 8km a day every day. Plus I'm walking all day at work

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you are walking 8km a day and also pretty active at work you would be very active. If you are including the work walking as part of the 8km then I would go with active.
    8km is about 10,000 steps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your cardio workout has absolutely nothing to do with your activity setting.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yakker04 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Why not if walking does

Activity level is daily activity outside intentional exercise. Any intentional exercise is added as you go.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,858 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you walk at work all day you are already active or very active.

Think of it this way: (roughly)
    Up to 5k steps you're sedentary
    Up to 8K steps you're lightly active.
    Up to 12k steps you're active
    Up to 16k steps you're very active
    Above that you've moved above MFP very active and you should add a manual exercise to account for the expenditure.

Your ability to log your food intake correctly will influence whether these figures will appear to work for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Why not if walking does

Have you read the links given to you that explain how this site works out your calorie goal?

Or alternatively just think if your cardio exercise WAS part of your activity setting why you would then log it and get extra calories?
    Can you not see that would then be double counting?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Why not if walking does

Have you read the links given to you that explain how this site works out your calorie goal?

Or alternatively just think if your cardio exercise WAS part of your activity setting why you would then log it and get extra calories?
    Can you not see that would then be double counting?

^^This.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10738071/net-or-total-calories/p1

Here's the link to Myfitnesspal's explanation again.

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals? [/url

• wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh I've always logged my walking ( I walk about 15000 steps a day) and I'm on active. Also managed to maintain for 9 months. I was a bit confused. But this way seems to be working for me