Binge eating after weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

My name is Ashley 26 years old. I’ve been on a fitness journey since September 2017. I lost 35 lbs in the early half of 2018. Managed to maintain my weight for about 4-5 months until I started creeping up again. It’s been slow but in a matter of 6 months I’ve gained about 10lbs ( The last month being a real struggle). My lowest was 116 which was honestly too thin so I tried to gain muscle and weight slowly and healthy. Once I reached about 120 I was happy with the way I looked and had gained some lean muscle. Once I hit 125 I was starting to feel like i was no longer in control of my “gains” they were more a result of over eating and fat gain rather than muscle gain and now I’m at about 128. The only reason I’m not gaining at a more drastic pace is bc im very active and sometimes I eat restrictively for a few days after binges.

I’ve been suffering from periodic binges 1-2 times per week since September. I will eat slightly below my maintenance calories most days then usually on the weekends or when I’m bored I’ll binge 3000-5000 calories in one day and ruin any progress. I’ve developed frequent sugar cravings. I still work out 5-6 days per week for about an hour.

I never was a binge eater or a sweets eater before weight loss. I was just a over-eater and ate out a lot. I feel my restricted diet during weight loss has caused my binge behavior. My cravings are stronger than ever and its getting in the way of my everyday life.

My short term goal is to have 21 days without a binge. I haven’t experienced this since October of last year. The longest I’ve gone was about 15 days back in Jan/Feb. My other short term goal is to loose 5lbs in the next two months. I can’t seem to grasp the best way to fight binges...Do I cut out all trigger foods for 21 days OR do i still allow treats sparingly and force myself to have willpower and strength to not binge and over-eat?

I figured taking more accountability for my actions will help me stop this behavior. I over ate on Saturday and binged Sunday and Monday. I can’t keep any snacks in the house without going overboard. I give in to my cravings 80% of the time. During weight loss I ignored cravings 80% of the time. Why don’t have that same will power now?

Im headed on and over seas vacation for 10 days this week and although I will probably over-eat a little bit or over-drink I think the vacation itself and being around friends that have no idea about my binge eating will limit my binge behavior so this may be healthy for me. I will most likely stay active on this vacation so that’s also a bonus!

My goal for today is to eat at maintenance and NOT eat anything extra after dinner (which usually leads to my binges)...

Replies

• lolisa472
    lolisa472 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been like this before. One moment I’ve lost weight and get happy and then all of a sudden I fall back into the the same weight. It’s hard.
  • ltoaa1
    ltoaa1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I replied to your previous post regarding a binge confession, but might as well reply to this one as well, but more straight foward to your goal:
    aessom15 wrote: »
    My short term goal is to have 21 days without a binge.

Tell someone about this goal. Just say to your closest peer "I'm doing 21 days eating healthy", that's all. If he/she asks why, just say that you've been off your diet lately and feeling off and very bloated.

Meal prep your entire day/week meals, according to your daily needs (maintenance, not deficit). That way, you'll know that you are eating just what you need, and nothing else. Avoid being alone, and if you do need to go out for a meal, even if it's fast food, don't feel bad, enjoy the meal, and try not to be alone afterwards, so that you don't get that thought like "Well, already screwed up, might as well enjoy..."

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Please seek help for this. These things generally get worse over time. The restrict cycle is not helping. It's only making this harder.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had a bad binge eating issue after the first time I lost weight. It was a combination of over-restricting and mental health issues. I had to treat the brain before I could stop the binge eating.
  • thevoiceinside
    thevoiceinside Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You are not alone.

One day at a time. One Binge will not derail your long term efforts, just take it one day at a time and look for what is missing in your life....

Until then, just be who you are.

We are here.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What’s your calorie target?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One of the things that can cause this behavior is losing weight too fast and/or in an unhealthy way. What I would suggest to deal with it is eating as balanced as you can. For example I find if I eat too much carb and not enough protein and fat I start eating too much. If you feel you are fine for protein and fat then take a look at your fiber intake. If you aren't getting enough fruit and veg that can make you feel hungrier too. The last dietary thing that can cause this is eating when you are actually thirsty. Ensure you are getting enough water every day. If it's emotional stress you might want to consider getting some counselling. Good luck.
  • blackbear555
    blackbear555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get like this all of the time. It’s a vicious cycle. Eat right and you lose the weight then the mentality is well since I lost weight I can overeat or eat whatever I want for a bit then I gain all of the weight back and all of my hard work goes down the turns. Try to figure out why you are binging. What is your mood/emotions? I’m an emotional eater, I eat if I’m happy or sad or anxious ect. Is soooo hard!
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every winter. I'm fine until I have off work for the holidays and then I start packing on the lbs. I know once the nice weather hits I get right back on it but that's after gaining. I have an issue w/ my back and once it gets cold I need to baby it or I'll end up laid up for weeks so I have to stop working out until the weather breaks. I need to move to a warmer climate!

• jlgmfp
    jlgmfp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I experienced this in the past too. I lost 20lbs by restricting quite strictly, and once I reached goal and started eating at maintenance my hunger just skyrocketed and I’d binge in a way that felt uncontrollable several times a week. I think a large part was just my body’s physiological response to sustained, strict deprivation. And I’ve read a lot of stories of people having similar experiences, including people who’ve experienced disordered eating. In a way, I feel like the more you try to control it, the worse it gets. I found that over time it just sort of normalised again. I wouldn’t try to restrict to below maintenance at this point, I feel like that just perpetuates the cycle. Maybe consider speaking to a professional?
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    it is not unusual to binge eat particularly if you are restricting calories. i think that focusing on the binge eating can in fact increase the likelyhood of the behaviour continuing. You need to move on from that chapter in your life. i have actually found calorie counting around the maintenance mark helpful in preventing binge eating. also listening to your hunger cues. i also find if you eat lean proteins, heaps of vegetables and wholegrains you will find that you naturally feel full and satisified and are less likely to reach for a sugar fix. of course there is also emotional reasons for binge eating also and you may find some form of therapy may help if that is the case
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you're still really struggling, you might find it helpful to see someone who specializes in binge eating disorders. They can help you get out of the mindset and develop helpful strategies and such. Any kind of anxiety just messes with your life, getting to the root of it and getting beyond it really brings a lot of comfort and relief.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your weight is totally within normal, i feel the same as you, i over eat alot, its so frustrating. I exercise around the same as you slightly more, i get up at 5am to run then go to the gym for weights in the evening to stop me from eating too early or just generally eating :), i do this 5 days a week. if i eat early i start reaching for the sweet treats, i try not to buy them but its become such a habit that i do it and regret it.
    Ive been reading this post and i feel alot of similarities. What is classed as binge eating? is it normally around 500-800 calories extra? I really need to get on top of my nutrition its ruining my training.
    You just need to take it one day at a time, you have done brilliantly so far so dont beat yourself up too much
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,349 Member
    Options
    According to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), Binge Eating Disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of lack of control. Further, men and women who struggle with binge eating typically experience feelings of disgust, guilt, or embarrassment and binge eat in isolation to conceal the behavior [1]. While overeating may occur periodically in a person without this disorder, an individual with Binge Eating Disorder has recurrent episodes of bingeing without purging, often leading to both emotional and physical distress.

For me it comes in spurts, but weight loss often triggers it. It's like when someone notices I've lost or says something nice about me, I just lose control. Not sure if I think I'm okay to eat like that or if I'm freaked out about being noticed. Either way it isn't healthy. I do see a therapist for other bigger things, but this comes up.

If I'm around people I control things, but if I'm alone, especially in the car, I often binge. I stop at multiple convenience stores so that I don't buy too much in one place, and I stop again before I get home to dispose of the evidence. I binge at home as well, but not as often as there are always people there.

Ttrying to get a handle on the restrict then binge cycle. There is another thread that has helped me, it's "Just for Today" set daily goals. Short term goals. One of mine is "Don't binge". In my mind if I only have to do it for a day, I can often power through.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I never did this either until after losing and maintaining for two years. I started restricting to balance going out to eat and social occasions. Once I started restricting, skipping meals, I would binge every three to 4 days. It has gotten worse. I just read brain over binge. It makes me hopeful that I can end this.