Prediabetic with high cholesterol

Options
I am determined to get healthier through exercise and diet. I go back to the doctor in 2 months to see if my bloodwork is better, so I have been exercising hard. I eat one dessert a month that has white sugar in it. I eat fruits, monk fruit and stevia sweeteners, a tiny bit of honey or pure maple syrup. I love sweets, so this regimen is very hard for me. I have a small calendar where I write my exercises every day. I reward myself with a sticker when I complete at least 35 minutes and that keeps me motivated. I will be 70 next month and I want to be able to be physically active.

Replies

• skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Roslyn! Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like. I've been here a few years and keep working at it. I'm probably 10 lbs from goal right now and working on it. I'll be 67 in May.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hi Roslyn! I’m a type 2 diabetic controlled by diet. My substitute for sweet treats is coffee with foamed milk and cinnamon and a little vanilla extract. Fifty calories and very few carbs, feels like a dessert. I also like putting cacao powder and flavored extracts in foods like yogurt to make them more dessert like. Fresh berries are comparatively low carb for the amount of sweetness. Especially frozen they make great treats. And dark chocolate.

Exercise is great for insulin resistance, keep it up! It helps if you do things you enjoy. I like learning different dance routines from YouTube videos. The main thing is to do something you will be happy to do for the rest of your life.

Wishing you well!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have a calendar with stickers, too! Sounds silly, but it TOTALLY motivates me! :D
  • roslynmorris740
    roslynmorris740 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jenilla, my sticker calendar is the biggest motivator ever. I plan to show it to my doctor when I go back. He believes in exercise and is very encouraging, so he is a motivator, too. I realize I have to exercise for the rest of my life.