Weight Watchers?

Options
Has anyone had success with this program? I've tried it in the past but didn't stick with it. I'm thinking of giving it another shot because I can't seem to make any plan stick for longer than a week on my own. :(

Please share your experiences, good and bad! Thanks.

Replies

• 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I did ww for years, I found it to be good....You can do it on line, but you have to pay..Meetings good, but pay even more....Suggest...Buy the book from a bookstore, do it with a buddy...Or, stay on here....A
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers was the perfect fit for me for many years. However...each time they changed the plan, you have to change with it. The last and most recent change to Freestyle left me lost. There were too many food items that became free...not zero but you didn't have to count them. Eggs, beans, chicken breast. The indicate the amount you can eat, but there's still those calories. I was OK with not counting certain fruits and veggies, but beans and eggs? I tried the Freestyle and gained weight. I tried to stick with it for a year to no avail. It was time to move on and I came here. Many still have success with Weight Watchers. It can't hurt to look into it. Good Luck.

This is the same experience with my mom. She had success with it, then had trouble with the changes (along with the change in community mood that it seemed to bring) and she couldn't stick with it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you want the online version they have an option to try it for 1 month. I think it can work for some but you have to make sure that you can control the "free" foods. You have to be reasonable on how many of those foods you eat. I tried it for a month but continued to log my food here periodically. My problem was that I ended up not eating enough. If you try it I would recommend continuing to log here until you get a grasp on how much to eat and still meet your goals. Then periodically recheck as your target goals check.

That (free) list however (which you can find for free online) is a great reminder to low calorie foods that you can incorporate into your eating. I actually concentrate on those foods more now after having tried WW for a month.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments so far. I realize the program costs $ and I am willing to pay in order to have some accountability. In fact, I have to pay if I want accountability. My husband offers me none - he's always supportive of everything I want to accomplish, but he's overweight himself and his exercise level is very low. So he can't be a good accountability partner. I don't have any close girlfriends I see regularly. Basically what I'm saying is I've tried to do this on my own for a long time and all it's gotten me is more weight. I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
    The meetings with other members would be a big help to me I think. I can sit here on my computer at work and talk all day long about what all I'd LIKE to do to lose weight. But at the end of the day (literally) I don't make it happen.

Good suggestion @Annie_01 about the online/digital option - I could try that for a month, and if miraculously I do see success with it then yay! But if not, then I could go to the next option which would be the app plus in person coaching and meetings.
  • springsweet
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ha. I suggested to my hubby about starting with the cheapest plan (the digital only) to see if that one would work, and he made a good point. He said "don't set yourself up to fail from the start"... good point.
    Oh and I would definitely stay on here as well. I've been on mfp for years now. Even though I haven't lost weight, I still like coming here.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Ha. I suggested to my hubby about starting with the cheapest plan (the digital only) to see if that one would work, and he made a good point. He said "don't set yourself up to fail from the start"... good point.

I think a big benefit of the weight watchers for a lot of people is the in-person meetings, so it is good he helped you upgrade!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to like weight watchers, but I just couldn't find a meeting that I felt a part of.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hi Sweet...another suggest ask people what they though was the best program, I know this is a bit retro, but it may work...And look up Amazon... A
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    WW changed my life. WW is where I learned the value of tracking. I only started 1 time in 2006. I lost about 35 lbs, made Lifetime and only left because we moved in 2017. As a Lifetime member who stayed at goal weight I attended meetings for free from late 2006 until January, 2017.

Two things about the meetings. One is I wouldn’t have maintained at GW without attending at least once per month and staying in their system. Also, I found the meeting mostly to be the school of what not to do. I don’t mean the topic of the day, I didn’t pay those much attention. But observing the people come and go.

The first thing I noticed about WW was the revolving door. Then I noticed a patern, the path to quitting- for whatever reason, eat over you number. Then decide to quit tracking because you’re over your number. Then, because you aren’t tracking, decide you are going to eat all the things you feel you’ve been deprived of. Then vow to start over tomorrow. Then next week. Maybe someday. Then don’t come to the meeting because you’re “off program.”

So I vowed not to do those things. Now I don’t think it’s possible to track for long without going over you number. I’ve misread, menus and NI. I’ve done bad arithmetic. I’ve lost concentration, been overly tired, made bad judgments, been distracted, there are a lot of ways to make mistakes. But I tracked them all no matter what. I did my best to record what I ate and drank and come up with a good faith number. As long as I was tracking, I never thought of myself as off program.

After about 5-6 years of tracking I found I could maintain without it. But if you ask me now at any point in the day, I can likely tell you what I’ve eaten and the calories.

We eventually moved away. I tried the local meeting but it just wasn’t the same. But I seem to maintain ok without it now. So you asked for experiences with WW, that’s mine.

• springsweet
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    WW changed my life. WW is where I learned the value of tracking. I only started 1 time in 2006. I lost about 35 lbs, made Lifetime and only left because we moved in 2017. As a Lifetime member who stayed at goal weight I attended meetings for free from late 2006 until January, 2017.

Two things about the meetings. One is I wouldn’t have maintained at GW without attending at least once per month and staying in their system. Also, I found the meeting mostly to be the school of what not to do. I don’t mean the topic of the day, I didn’t pay those much attention. But observing the people come and go.

The first thing I noticed about WW was the revolving door. Then I noticed a patern, the path to quitting- for whatever reason, eat over you number. Then decide to quit tracking because you’re over your number. Then, because you aren’t tracking, decide you are going to eat all the things you feel you’ve been deprived of. Then vow to start over tomorrow. Then next week. Maybe someday. Then don’t come to the meeting because you’re “off program.”

So I vowed not to do those things. Now I don’t think it’s possible to track for long without going over you number. I’ve misread, menus and NI. I’ve done bad arithmetic. I’ve lost concentration, been overly tired, made bad judgments, been distracted, there are a lot of ways to make mistakes. But I tracked them all no matter what. I did my best to record what I ate and drank and come up with a good faith number. As long as I was tracking, I never thought of myself as off program.

After about 5-6 years of tracking I found I could maintain without it. But if you ask me now at any point in the day, I can likely tell you what I’ve eaten and the calories.

We eventually moved away. I tried the local meeting but it just wasn’t the same. But I seem to maintain ok without it now. So you asked for experiences with WW, that’s mine.

Wow, thanks for sharing! I really want to make this work for me and I think if I go to meetings and continue to do so, it will! It makes me feel motivated just imagining it. :)

What does it take to become a Lifetime member?
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    WW taught me portion control and how to plan for Events such as Trips and holidays and still be overall on plan. I was on the program for 4 years; no regrets.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Wow, thanks for sharing! I really want to make this work for me and I think if I go to meetings and continue to do so, it will! It makes me feel motivated just imagining it. :)

What does it take to become a Lifetime member?

Reaching your goal weight selected by yourself (but within healthy BMI range) or a doctor's note, and maintaining it for the 6 weeks after you reach goal.

Once Lifetime, always Lifetime, but to be free you must be within 2 lbs of goal. I believe you also have to attend meetings also to be Lifetime a well.
  • HeyMa_65
    HeyMa_65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on WW for over a year, kept off 45# . Gone from a size 20 to a size 12 in 9 months. Why don't you look at the menu structure on Pinterest or something and if you'd like to join I can get you a free month using my "Add a Friend" request. It's a very supportive environment online too, the Connect Community has a lot of people there for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Lifetime- 6 weeks at GW, weigh in at WW at least once per month, no more than 2 lbs over GW.

If I had just quit the meetings I would have gained back a significant amount. I left out the part where I lost about 65-70 lbs on my own before I started WW. It was a big problem for me. I wasn’t sure I would ever muster the energy to lose a significant amount a second time so I made a point of not regaining. I’ve gone back to tracking now and again when needed.

This last year I’ve finally started to think that if I don’t lose my mind, I won’t gain it back.

Calling it Lifetime makes it sound like you can just declare victory and go home. Don’t.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I use the WW Good Health Guidelines but track calories instead of points. I bought an “At Home Kit” a long time ago when I lost weight before my last pregnancy. I personally feel the overall plan is nutritionally sound and that it can help guide you to a way of eating that can assist with maintenance. However the current plan has so many zero point foods that I think many people find the overall concept too complicated. I am a member of an on-line support group that is 90% ww and I find them very encouraging.
  • springsweet
    Options
    HeyMa_65 wrote: »
    I've been on WW for over a year, kept off 45# . Gone from a size 20 to a size 12 in 9 months. Why don't you look at the menu structure on Pinterest or something and if you'd like to join I can get you a free month using my "Add a Friend" request. It's a very supportive environment online too, the Connect Community has a lot of people there for you.

Wow, thank you so much! I'll send you a friend request (if I can remember how)!
  • springsweet
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Lifetime- 6 weeks at GW, weigh in at WW at least once per month, no more than 2 lbs over GW.

If I had just quit the meetings I would have gained back a significant amount. I left out the part where I lost about 65-70 lbs on my own before I started WW. It was a big problem for me. I wasn’t sure I would ever muster the energy to lose a significant amount a second time so I made a point of not regaining. I’ve gone back to tracking now and again when needed.

This last year I’ve finally started to think that if I don’t lose my mind, I won’t gain it back.

Calling it Lifetime makes it sound like you can just declare victory and go home. Don’t.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you decide on a healthy goal weight for yourself? Is it based on height? Or more than that? I have had an idea of my perfect goal weight being 135 (I am 5'5") but that is mainly because that was my weight in high school when I played soccer. In reality, 145-150 would make me happy. I remember weighing 145 not long after college and I felt great...

After googling, I found this:

<i>"If you can't recall a time when you felt healthy, begin with the standard formula for calculating the ideal weight for women: Allow 100 pounds for your first 5 feet, then add 5 pounds for every extra inch. To account for muscle mass, body shape, size, and genetics, add and subtract 10 percent."</i>

Wow, so according to that, my ideal weight would be 125. (I don't quite understand the second sentence.) I think I'll stick with 135.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I did WW many times. The old program was livable but the new Freestyle program doesn't appeal to me. When I quit attending WW meetings I joined the digital program and it was useless to me. I finally dropped out of it after about 20 years and came to MFP. I have since lost over a hundred pounds and maintained it. If you want the meetings for accountability I would say give it a try but if you are only doing digital I doubt it will help any more than MFP which is free.