Is 700 calorie daily deficit too much or healthy?

Options
Hey everyone, is a 700 calorie daily deficit too much or healthy? From now until end of July as I'm moving and meeting a guy I met online and that's what I'd need to reach (or get close to) a goal weight!

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    That depends entirely on how many calories you ARE consuming everyday. What is your daily caloric intake?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (current weight, goal weight, height...)? A lot depends on how much you have to lose.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    To lose 1 lb a week, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day. I believe MFP still considers it "safe weight loss" to have a deficit up to 1000 calories per day, which would be 2 lbs a week.

It might also depend on how much weight you have/want to lose. I suggest putting your goal into the app (you want to lose 1 lb a week? 2 lbs a week?) and use that calorie goal and take the guess work out of it :smile:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on how much weight you have to lose. If my uncaffeinated math is correct, you're looking at around 15 lbs? A 500 calorie deficit is probably more reasonable, and at this point you would probably want to look at body composition more than scale number.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends on your current statistics. A 700 calorie daily deficit is about 1.5 lb per week, which is a bit on the fast side unless you're obese. Are you able to sustain a 7000 calorie deficit and still net above 1200 calories every day?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    edited because question has already been asked and answered
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    It depends on how much you have to lose.

22 lbs, and she is already in the healthy BMI range
  • erickirb
    Options
    By the way MFP told me to eat 1200 calories a day but it didn't say how much of a deficit that would be.

change your goal to lose 1 lb/week, see what it gives you then
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thanks all of you for taking the time to reply. So I guess I should aim for 0.5 lb a week, I had put 1 lb a week on MFP. Yeah, Wojtek said he doesn't care which weight I'll be at, I'd like to be back to my thin self but it's most important to be healthy and not compromise anything with health~ What do you mean by "eat back exercise calories"? Aren't exercise calories supposed to be making a deficit so I don't have to cut back on food calories?

This site gives you your deficit assuming no exercise, so in order to lose your goal amount of weight, and not more (too fast), then you should be eating them back to keep your deficit consistent
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    When you reach an healthy weight, I'm pretty sure an intensive work out program would give you results you would like more then losing weight (and being the dreaded skinny-fat)... you could try one of the many strenght training program (a 90 days program maybe?)... You can still track calories and I think yes 0.5 lbs is more realistic and healthy... but I would focus on inch (measure your body parts with a tape)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? If you are walking a lot in your daily life, you may want to incorporate it that way, and set your activity as active or very active. Then you wouldn't account for it as additional exercise. If you set your activity level as sedentary or lightly active, you would want to add that as additional exercise and eat back the calories.

My other comment is that if you gain 22 pounds in 2 months, a good portion of that was probably not fat but increased water weight due to the change in eating habits. When you get back on track with normal eating, I would imagine you will see a good amount of that weight burn off pretty quickly. So you probably have less than 22 pounds of fat to lose. I think 1/2 a pound a week would be best to create your deficit, certainly no more than 1 pound. Based on your activity level, you'll want to be eating considerably more than 1200 calories.