Weight loss headache?

Options
When not using MFP I am a binge eater and probably eat 3500+ calories a day much of which was sugar.

I've been properly logging for a couple weeks, I am 5'6ish/ 182 lbs and am eating 1300-1900 calories a day and not excluding any specific foods, though naturally, I am eating significantly less sugar than before. I have been going to the gym and lifting for a month.

I have had a raging headache for a least two weeks. I had hoped it was PMS related but no. Am I going through calorie or sugar withdrawals? Will my body adjust? Has any one dealt with this?

I've read that Keto diets cause this but I am eating carbs and sugar. What gives?

Replies

• vvww88
    vvww88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It could be the sugar withdrawal still
    Are you drinking enough water to support your body at the gym and through the day?
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Those are all smart suggestions but I have never consumed caffeine on a regular basis and am a water enthusiast. I love drinking water and have always drank plenty. No more stressed than usual and am sleeping fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Those are all smart suggestions but I have never consumed caffeine on a regular basis and am a water enthusiast. I love drinking water and have always drank plenty. No more stressed than usual and am sleeping fine.

Hmm, caffeine withdrawal was the logical answer so now we have to reach.

Any chances of mold issues at the gym, your house, work?

Any new chemicals in your environment? Are you wearing new exercise clothes? Have you changed brands of laundry detergent?
  • dashaclaire
    Options
    Caffeine does sometime help headaches though, so I drank a few sips of a Starbucks Double Shot can (more would give me severe anxiety) a friend left in my fridge last week. It also has sugar. I will report back:)
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor. This is not normal and should be checked into.
  • pandareads
    pandareads Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a dull headache for the first four weeks of my diet. I didn’t cut carbs or caffeine, all I did was cut portions but I went from an estimated 3500 cal per day to 1700 and that’s what I attributed the headache to.

But you describe your headache as “raging” so I agree with the other internet strangers who don’t know your medical history... see the doctor.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I can think of would be an electrolyte imbalance if you reduced your sodium too much. Especially if you drink a ton of water. That or blood sugar issues, which might be fixed by bringing your calories up a smidge or adjusting your meal timings.

Just lowering sugar or calories shouldn't cause headaches by itself, so definitely get checked out if there's not an obvious dietary or lifestyle reason. It could be almost anything and a lot of them are serious concerns.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Not really related to dietary changes, but you might have your blood pressure checked just to rule that out.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Are you normally prone to headaches? I personally am a migraine sufferer and can be triggered by drastic changes to my regular schedule (especially sleep). Definitely worth a visit to the doctor regardless. But I did have a significant and lengthy migraine due to drastic changes initially when I cut out large amounts of Coca Cola. I ended up needing to wean myself off instead of making sweeping changes to my diet.
  • dashaclaire
    Options
    I guess I’d say it fluctuates between raging and dull but ever present. The caffeine definitely cranked it way back to dull.

And in the last two hours I cleaned my house, washed my 3 dogs, and bleached and scrubbed the moldy outdoor cushions on my lawn furniture because.... coffee lol.

I really appreciate the concern and responses. I will monitor and if it persists much longer I will see my Dr.
    I suspect it’s hunger related like pandareads maybe I just have a lower pain tolerance than her? My body is definitely not pleased with less food.

I get more than enough probably too much salt.
    I do have some new gym capris but all have been washed in my regular old laundry detergent.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking a gatorade or propel to see if that helps? I get headaches that don't seem to want to go away sometimes. And on occasion, this helps. Even though I get enough salt in my diet, sometimes I think I'm lacking in the other electrolites. Worth a try!

And your puppers are adorbale BTW! :heart:
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Have you recently started lifting weights or doing bodyweight exercises? You might have a muscle out of place in your shoulders or neck that is causing tension.

Try to get your blood pressure checked. They have machines at places like CVS and Walgreens.

Try to eat some foods with potassium and magnesium. You can google a list of them.

Maybe try some yoga? Could it be stress from work or life? Three dogs is a lot of work.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Have you been using more artificial sweeteners? They aren't bad in themselves, but some people are sensitive to them and experience headaches or digestive issues.