Best protein powder shakes

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on which is the best protein powder to use ?

Replies

• Staceylynn10182
    Staceylynn10182 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It’s really a matter of preference. I use a plant based protein powder since I don’t tolerate the whey proteins well. It’s called Sotru. I use the chocolate and I really like the taste!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a certain calorie range or protein amount? Specific kind of protein? There so many protein powders out there, might be easier to give recommendations with a better idea of what you are looking for nutritionally.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Are you looking for a certain calorie range or protein amount? Specific kind of protein? There so many protein powders out there, might be easier to give recommendations with a better idea of what you are looking for nutritionally.

Flavors, sweet, mixed with what? There are probably no less than 500 options, so a little detail will help.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like PEScience. It’s a high-quality whey + casein blend that is very sweet, which I like because of my sweet tooth. People who don’t like sweet don’t like this brand, though. They offer sample size packets so you can try out different flavors. I found cookies and cream to be gross, snickerdoodle to be something I could not drink every day (too sweet even for me) and chocolate frosted cupcake to be my fav. Vanilla is less sweet and is better to adding to food rather than drinking as a shake. Get a shaker cup with a mixing ball, though, I had trouble with clumping until I did.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Unico is my JAM 😍 I’m on a kick with their Molten Chocolate Lava Cake and my husband loves the Salted Caramel. I like that I can order samples of flavors.
  • mbarkitek
    mbarkitek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey - I have used a bunch of the various "big brand" protein powders. I am picky and basically refuse to drink something that tastes gross, artificial, or lumpy.

My choice is Arbonne Protein shake mix.
    https://www.arbonne.com/Pws/RebeccaReynoso/store/AMUS/product/Vanilla-Protein-Shake-Mix-Powder-2070,1476,272.aspx

I prefer Vanilla and then it can be flavored in various ways. It mixes smooth.
    My standard is just with almond milk at work. It is great to mix the chocolate and vanilla.
    Makes great "smoothies" especially with banana or berries.

I highly recommend giving it a try.
    I have the giant bag and I feel like it lasts me forever.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many and never really liked most of them. The one I've been using since December is called Sparta Nutrition. It's great and I highly recommend it. My favorite flavor that i've tried so far is cookies & cream. I mix mine with water.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I use either Optimum Nutrition advanced whey chocolate (with 10 g of hershey's cocoa added for fiber and taste) mixed with milk or Simple Truth organic whey - both taste decent to me and I always look for a product that has at least 80% of a "serving" be grams of protein.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    When dealing in opinions there is not a best anything. Even the most expensive, lowest protein, and highest calorie option is probably someone's idea of best.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    optimum nutrition, double rich chocolate. Mixed into milk, it tastes like chocolate milk. I have tried several, I always come back to this one. It is the best balance of price, taste, and a protein to calorie ratio (in my opinion)

But it depends what you're looking for.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    So much is up to personal preferences as already outlined; also if you are looking for a protein shake or a meal replacement shake as they are not necessarily the same.

I will put out to always be diligent about reading labels, especially for nutritive additives. Try singles/small containers of one for a while, then stop for a bit (try something else), and then come back to the first to know how any mix works with your body for sure. Things like chlorella, spirulina, and chia seeds can cause gastrointestinal/allergic reaction issues in people. And not necessarily immediately, but after a period of exposure/withdrawal/exposure again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein. Stores like Vitamin Shop sell smaller sample packs of some brands. Some places offer a 30 day return policy if you don’t like it.
  • Iain__Fraser
    Iain__Fraser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey is the best on the market in my opinion.
  • Alex_P_N
    Alex_P_N Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PHD Diet Whey is still my favourite here in the UK..... tried lots of others which have been poor consistency, watery, synthetic tasting... pound for pounds, PHD is the best all round.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use BN Unflavored Whey. It's surprisingly low sodium, about 120 cal and 24g of protein per scoop, and no artificial sweeteners (they bother my stomach like you wouldn't believe). Not too bad costwise, either.

I would love to switch to pea protein but it seems to be much to expensive and high in sodium, and often less dense in terms of protein per scoop. Someday I'd like to find a vegan alternative but so far whey suits my needs like nothing else.

I wouldn't eat it by itself, but I love it with some vanilla almond milk and cocoa powder.
  • tyegarcia
    tyegarcia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed 100% Whey Protein Isolate for about half a year and I love it. Taste great, about 10 flavors, I just ordered a 5lb tub of orange dreamsicle

110cals per serving
    25g protein
    5.5g BCAAS
    2.7g Leucine
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I Iike quest, pe science and muscle pharm