Running vs other cardio?

Options
Good evening all! I am wondering about running....I just did a tae bo dvd and it is a great workout! I was soaked. I can make it all the way through the video. When I go out to run I struggle with it. I can make it about a minute and then my legs burn and I feel like I am dying. I dont understand why I can do a hard workout but have trouble with running. Mostly it makes my legs hurt so bad I cant stand it. Then I breathe so heavy when I run. I dont think I was born a runner. Anyone else ever feel like this? Is running a hard think to accomplish?

Also are things like toe bo and aroebics good for you like running?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Its the heart rate that makes the difference. If you have heart up then you are good ;-]
    jac
  • ostar8433
    Options
    I am RIGHT there with you on that! I always dream of being a runner, but I just don't think it's in my DNA! I do tae bo and have no problem with it, but running... I just can't make it happen!
  • krista4889
    krista4889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    O ya my heart rate is high when I do tae bo!!
  • angmac1976
    angmac1976 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I run but have a hard time with the elliptical. I barely made it through 10 minutes tonight..
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You are using different muscles in a different way than you are used to. You have to start small and work at it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You are using different muscles in a different way than you are used to. You have to start small and work at it.

This. Anyone can run - maybe you'll never be fast or you'll never be able to run 100 mile marathons. I always thought I was just never going to be a runner but I started and its awesome. Just have to start really small - actually I started with fast walking (interspersed with slower walking) which really strengthened up my legs -- if you want to get your heart rate up do air punches, move your arms around (in a safe comfortable way) etc.

I started jogging naturally - I'd be excited by a fast song on my zune or something and just jog 45 seconds and thats all the running I did for a week or two. Now I do 30-45 seconds running then walking for a minute then 30-45 seconds.... one day I'll get to flat out running several minutes.

I would say maybe your form is weird, you are too tense or landing too hard or you don't have good posture while you run or something.
  • nicnac264
    Options
    Like the previous post start small. I found a great beginning training program on runner's world website. I started to run in 1 minute intervals then walk for four. I didn't think I was a born runner either and was badgered into it by my friends. Now I can't stop. My third half marathon is in oct. start with baby steps and if you like it keep going. also good quality running shoes are a must!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Give me any intense aerobic class or HIIT, but I can't run for toffee!!

Its all in the fact that with running your heart rate is up all the time. With aerobics its up and down.

A completely different workout. However, I have been told millions of times that anyone can TRAIN to be a runner! Try C25K, which takes you through the process if you really want to run.

It doesnt really bother me that I cant run as I find the variation in aerobics suits me better than a one pace run anyhow. And yes, of course, aerobics is good for you. So is any activity. Running has its pros and cons.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to do tae bo 5 times a week when it first came out. It's a great workout! I remember how much leg work was involved; especially in the advanced videos. Yup, you get soaking wet from that workout - good stuff.
  • krista4889
    krista4889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have tried the C25k and I do like that program. I was just scared that because I cant run long distances I was way out of shape but once I did that intense workout I figured that was not the case! I just need to take baby steps and not go full force!
  • pandabuhr79
    Options
    running is HARD. everything hurts and i can't breathe~ i hate it and wish i could do it, but i'm pretty sure if you want to do it, just start small and it should get a little easier each time you do it :)
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options

^^This! 4 months ago I would say the same thing. A workout DVD was fine but running? No way I could make it past a minute without thinking I was going to die. Couch to 5 K changed all that starting in April! It starts out slow and increases amount of time jogging slowly. Now I've run two 5Ks and planning on doing my first 10K next month. In 4 months I've gone from running for 1 minute at a time to 55 minutes at a time. If running is something you really want to do, you can make it happen! :)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A common problem with beginner runners is that they go straight to sprint mode and are working totally anaerobically. Even if you are in good shape, you can't maintain that for long before you are totally winded and your leg muscles are screaming for more oxygen. The key is pacing. Go slowly enough that you can maintain the pace, Programs like C25K are great if you are struggling because the walk /run intervals will help you to learn to pace yourself.