What is a reasonable portion of dessert a week?

Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
Hello!!

I’m sure to many of you this may sound ridiculous, but I’m trying to tell what a reasonable amount of dessert is a week. Is one pint of ice cream too much? Two? I’m pretty sure it depends on your age, height, etc. I’m a 175 pound, 5 foot 7 inch, young female. Am I eating too much sugar if I eat a pint of ice cream a week? Or two pints? How much should I be eating? I’m having trouble telling from the internet. Sorry if this is really basic knowledge. Thank you

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    a pint of ice cream (if I do the recommended serving size) will typically last me 3-4 days - so I think a pint a week if a reasonable goal - I've found I prefer to go for the higher quality stuff rather than cheaper that I get more of
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    The good news is that you get to decide. If you do not have a medical reason to control your sugar there is no reason to avoid it or worry about it. It has no bearing on any type of weight management goal.

Ice cream is nutritious so it really comes down to calories and making it fit in your day or week and being sensible about eating the other things you need to balance your nutrition.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I keep my desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving. But that's me. 5'3", on 1340 calories to lose 1/2lb per week before exercise.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I tend to fit in dessert after dinner. Wether it be ice cream or something with custard. It fits within my calorie goals and I tend to plan my main meals in the morning. As long as it isn't taking over or outside your daily cals then go for it. Also a pint of ice cream last me about 4-5 days if I have some every night
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It depends on how many calories you have, and what else you usually eat. The more nutrient dense your diet is, the more wiggle room you get for less nutrient dense items. You may choose to forgo dessert completely for one week in order to be able to fit half a bloomin onion, for example, whichever feels worth it. It also depends on how often you like to have your desserts. I sometimes go weeks without dessert, so when I eat a lot of it one day, it's perfectly fine. If you like your desserts daily, smaller portions will be more appropriate depending, again, on your calories and nutrient intake.

Personally, I find a maximum of 1500 calories a week of non-meal calorie dense items is just right for my nutrition.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    I tend to have some kind of dessert after every lunch & dinner. That could be as little as a couple of squares of dark chocolate or a full on fruit crumble with custard. But then I do burn a lot of calories through exercise and I make it fit by goals by eating plenty of other nutritious foods. Yoghurt and fruit is a healthy dessert for example.

If you really like ice cream have you looked at Halo Top and the other brands of low calorie, high protein ice cream? You may find they fit your daily allowance and macros better. For dinner tonight I have allocated about 85cal for 1/4 of a tub of Aldi high protein cookie dough ice cream. That’s a plenty big enough portion for me and not enough calories to significantly impact on what else I’ll eat today.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2019
    It’s your decision how you spend your calories. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, and have no existing medical restrictions for certain foods, you can eat what you like.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I have a dessert every night before bed. Either a choc 0 sugar protein shake, or the Enlightened 70 cal fudge bar.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have dessert every night. sometimes even for dinner.
    it depends on what fits in your calorie goals and techinically, what fits into a balanced diet.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Ditto everyone else. I have some sort of sweet every day. Right now since I'm trying to be a little stricter with myself, I do something small each day (like a cookie) and then allow myself something bigger on the weekend (like a chocolate milkshake)
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    It's so dependent on individual preferences and tolerances. By that, I mean some folks cannot tolerate a small amount of ice cream doled out daily and only go out for ice cream occasionally. Some portion it out, no problem. Ketoers may or may not work in a low carb version. We're on so many varied eating plans here; there isn't one answer to this question.

That said, I like to have ice cream every night and am lazy about measuring and weighing or whatever, so I buy pre-packaged high quality ice cream bars that are less than 200 calories. I also enjoy a square or 2 of chocolate after lunch or after my afternoon snack. I have a sweet tooth, in other words, but I am fine with moderation. For some people, the sweets I keep in the house regularly would send them into a binge (donuts, though? forget it, NO ability to moderate those!).

Find your unique tolerance and preference and you'll be fine.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Hello!!

I’m sure to many of you this may sound ridiculous, but I’m trying to tell what a reasonable amount of dessert is a week. Is one pint of ice cream too much? Two? I’m pretty sure it depends on your age, height, etc. I’m a 175 pound, 5 foot 7 inch, young female. Am I eating too much sugar if I eat a pint of ice cream a week? Or two pints? How much should I be eating? I’m having trouble telling from the internet. Sorry if this is really basic knowledge. Thank you

I'm a 50 yo, 5'7", 164.8 pound female and I eat an ice cream bar (usually no sugar added Klondike) or a frozen Greek yogurt bar almost every day all summer. It's 90-150 calories and I can work it into my calories, usually by walking my dog for 30-45 minutes. I would rather eat real sugar than fake and if you don't have a metabolic or endocrine disorder, then there's not a definite answer to your question. I don't eat a lot of stress eets otherwise and I don't want it in the winter. It doesn't affect my blood work, which all remains solidly normal.
    There are people who will "woo" me for this reply, but CICO works. I weighed 235 in August 2013 and was facing a knee replacement. I kept my favorite foods in my eating plan and lost to 153, then gained to 180 when my grandmother passed away and my dad started having mini strokes. Stress + no tome to exercise + fast food aren't a good combination. I am 9 pounds nds from my 155 goal and I know what works for me. Deprivation is not it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    You can eat dessert whenever you please as long as it is progressive towards your goal.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Whatever keeps you in deficit.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member

What is CICO ?
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Hello!!

I'm a 50 yo, 5'7", 164.8 pound female and I eat an ice cream bar (usually no sugar added Klondike) or a frozen Greek yogurt bar almost every day all summer. It's 90-150 calories and I can work it into my calories, usually by walking my dog for 30-45 minutes. I would rather eat real sugar than fake and if you don't have a metabolic or endocrine disorder, then there's not a definite answer to your question. I don't eat a lot of stress eets otherwise and I don't want it in the winter. It doesn't affect my blood work, which all remains solidly normal.
    There are people who will "woo" me for this reply, but CICO works. I weighed 235 in August 2013 and was facing a knee replacement. I kept my favorite foods in my eating plan and lost to 153, then gained to 180 when my grandmother passed away and my dad started having mini strokes. Stress + no tome to exercise + fast food aren't a good combination. I am 9 pounds nds from my 155 goal and I know what works for me. Deprivation is not it.