Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone jump rope?

I bought a jump rope and I use it for about 10 minutes at least 3 times a week (note: I can't jump 10 minutes straight...I jump like 30 times and then my feet get caught in the rope, and I start over...but I keep at it for 10 minutes). I love it...I feel like I get a really good work out from it. Does anyone else jump rope?

I know that it works most of the major muscles in the body (calves, thighs, glutes, back, shoulders, triceps, etc). Does anyone know if it helps the abs as well? I read somewhere that it does help the core because you use the core for balance...but not sure how accurate what I read was.

I know that I've been told that MFP calculates the amount of calories burned a little high. Is there a good way to determine approximately how many calories I really do burn when jumping?

Replies

• I've actually wanted to start to jump rope consistently - we've done it a few times in kickboxing.. we'll jump rope for about a minute, then do a workout on the back, and keep switching back and forth. It's a quick way to get your heart rate up. I always feel it in my legs, obviously, but the faster I try to spin it, the more I feel it in my arms, too! unfortunately, I have no place to really jump rope at home.. may try to start going outside though.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Bought one recently but haven't tried it out. This posting reminds me to start jumping!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I crossfit and there are a lot of workouts that combine jumping rope. Double Unders (where the rope goes under twice) are a wonderful way to get the heart rate up. Tabata Skipping as well. A good workout is called ANNIE - 50-40-30-20-10 Double Unders (triple if only singles) and 50-40-30-20-10 sit ups.
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    LOL..I bought one about 2 weeks ago...as a child I was a great jumper...now good lawd...10 jumps and I'm poofed..:sad:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I do it as part of my boot camp routine. I absolutely SUCK at it. Seriously. I just can't get it at all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I can barely get 5 in a row. It is a good exercise though. I need to persist at it as carrying a jump rope with me on trips is one of the easiest things to pack along. I should probably work on getting my numbers up.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    i jump rope as part of circuit training. i wear a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories i've burned that workout. you can get a good one for about $50... so worth it if you want to be accurate about how many calories burned.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Jump rope does use the abdominals. So does sitting upright and standing. Here's a good comparison of abdominal use for generic cardio exercises:
    sitting < standing < walking < jump rope < running < sprinting
    It's less than running because you're staying in one place the whole time.
    To challenge your core, lift your knees higher. Start with alternating feet, then jumping on one foot with the other knee raised, then jumping with both feet together and snapping your knees up as high as you can.
    Keep at it. When I jumped rope, it did magical things for my calves! My legs have never looked so proportional.
  • I crossfit and there are a lot of workouts that combine jumping rope. Double Unders (where the rope goes under twice) are a wonderful way to get the heart rate up. Tabata Skipping as well. A good workout is called ANNIE - 50-40-30-20-10 Double Unders (triple if only singles) and 50-40-30-20-10 sit ups.

I'm still kinda new to MFP so I'm lost as to what the ANNIE 50-40-30-20-10 etc is all about. Can you explain it?
    To challenge your core, lift your knees higher. Start with alternating feet, then jumping on one foot with the other knee raised, then jumping with both feet together and snapping your knees up as high as you can.
    Keep at it. When I jumped rope, it did magical things for my calves! My legs have never looked so proportional.

Hahaha...I'll try that once I get better with jumping. After every 20 or 30 jumps, I mess up....lol.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    yeah, I used to skip a lot, usually doing a HIIT 1 min fast skip, 1 min walk round, for 15 mins. Its a great workout.

cant remember the calorie burn as I haven't done it in ages, but I use an HRM for my workouts

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jineat
    jineat Posts: 25 Member
    I bought boxing gloves and a speed rope for my workout class. Currently working out with former UFC now MMA fighter Houston "The Assassin" Alexander. This is the best class I ever took. It's fierce. I hope to lose all this fat I caked on over the years.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I crossfit and there are a lot of workouts that combine jumping rope. Double Unders (where the rope goes under twice) are a wonderful way to get the heart rate up. Tabata Skipping as well. A good workout is called ANNIE - 50-40-30-20-10 Double Unders (triple if only singles) and 50-40-30-20-10 sit ups.

I'm still kinda new to MFP so I'm lost as to what the ANNIE 50-40-30-20-10 etc is all about. Can you explain it?

You can google Annie or skip rope tabata intervals..but here are a couple links to get you started. YOU CAN DO THIS!! (so for 50 doubles, do 150 singles...)
    "Annie": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAjV-LOW_uo
    tabata jump rope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYDz_CLbMg&amp;feature=related
  • I bought boxing gloves and a speed rope for my workout class. Currently working out with former UFC now MMA fighter Houston "The Assassin" Alexander. This is the best class I ever took. It's fierce. I hope to lose all this fat I caked on over the years.

Years ago when I was in the Army, I was on the post boxing team...I absolutely LOVED IT! We trained 5-6 hours a day, Mon-Fri and then 4 hours Sat and Sun. It was intense...but I enjoyed it so much. I still have my wraps, gloves and shoes...sadly though, no heavy bag around here for me to hit. :( I'd buy one, but no room to put it.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    I usually skip for 30 min everyday or other day, depending on what other workouts I do (haven't skipped since starting the 30day shred though). Can't wait to get back into it.
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 83 Member
    I love jump rope!!!! This video is of the lady who got me into it. I've done this video in the past and it seriously starts burning those love handles and has gotten me in great great shape. I stopped doing everything during summer and gained everything back but working on it again with this video and bike riding and I promise it works. she's super intense and scary but look at her body! I jump rope until I can't anymore and then I do all the exercises in this video. She has a bunch more videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJqdtmhhv0&amp;feature=channel