Pre pregnancy diet

Options
Looking for ladies who have been successful or are currently prepping their bodies to ttc? My husband and I are going to start trying in July after he has surgery for a reversal . I want to get my body in tip top shape. I have lost 50 pounds on keto and have heard amazing things about keto and fertility, however I want to hear other nutritious ways you have prepared for baby making :). My son is 12 so I am totally starting over and more than excited. Been praying 8 years for this. This will be our first together ♡.

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    From my own experience, I would go and get your nutrient levels tested. Having good nutrient levels pre-pregnancy can be VERY helpful to make things go smoothly. If there are any levels that are down, then if you have the money, I'd recommend getting a celiac blood test, just in case.

Celiac disease doesn't affect a large % of the population, but it can be present without outward symptoms. However, some research has found that it can lower your chances of getting pregnant, as well as cause problems during pregnancy, so if you are trying for a baby and have nutrient deficiencies (which are one symptom of celiac disease, too), it could be worth the test.

Right now, moms are automatically tested for certain conditions that can make pregnancy risky. Celiac disease is actually more common in our population than some of these conditions, and also makes pregnancy risky, which is why some experts would like to see it added to the 'preggo moms list of necessary tests,' but that's not the case, yet.

There is also a list of vitamin levels you want to make sure are high up there - I don't know it off hand, but if you google it, I'm sure it'll come up. I believe Iron is one, and folic acid is another. They are basically nutrients the body uses a lot of during pregnancy, so it's helpful to have good levels of these before you start.

That said- There is this cookbook, called the pregnancy cookbook. (https://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Cookbook-Revised-Expanded/dp/0393323110https://amazon.com/Pregnancy-Cookbook-Revised-Expanded/dp/0393323110 ) It has recipes that are separated for each trimester, based on nutrient needs, as well as post partum recipes good for breastfeeding. One author is an obstetrician, and the other is her husband, a chef. The recipes are pretty tasty, too.

But...if you end up using this, you'd want to see if you can make these foods ahead of time so you can eat them quick and easy. In part, because neither of the authors seem to be people who actually have ever been freaking pregnant and had to cook for themselves while huge, swollen, and in need of a nap. ^_^ I remember one recipe for the third trimester involved standing at the stove for nearly 30 minutes, and I was like, 'nope, that ain't happening.'

However, the recipes really were good, and the nutrients were specific for what is needed each trimester. If nothing else, they might be a neat base to go off of if you are trying to create recipes of your own, ahead of time, that you can have during pregnancy. Or try out and see what you like and don't like.
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    From my own experience, I would go and get your nutrient levels tested. Having good nutrient levels pre-pregnancy can be VERY helpful to make things go smoothly. If there are any levels that are down, then if you have the money, I'd recommend getting a celiac blood test, just in case.

Celiac disease doesn't affect a large % of the population, but it can be present without outward symptoms. However, some research has found that it can lower your chances of getting pregnant, as well as cause problems during pregnancy, so if you are trying for a baby and have nutrient deficiencies (which are one symptom of celiac disease, too), it could be worth the test.

Right now, moms are automatically tested for certain conditions that can make pregnancy risky. Celiac disease is actually more common in our population than some of these conditions, and also makes pregnancy risky, which is why some experts would like to see it added to the 'preggo moms list of necessary tests,' but that's not the case, yet.

There is also a list of vitamin levels you want to make sure are high up there - I don't know it off hand, but if you google it, I'm sure it'll come up. I believe Iron is one, and folic acid is another. They are basically nutrients the body uses a lot of during pregnancy, so it's helpful to have good levels of these before you start.

That said- There is this cookbook, called the pregnancy cookbook. (https://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Cookbook-Revised-Expanded/dp/0393323110https://amazon.com/Pregnancy-Cookbook-Revised-Expanded/dp/0393323110 ) It has recipes that are separated for each trimester, based on nutrient needs, as well as post partum recipes good for breastfeeding. One author is an obstetrician, and the other is her husband, a chef. The recipes are pretty tasty, too.

But...if you end up using this, you'd want to see if you can make these foods ahead of time so you can eat them quick and easy. In part, because neither of the authors seem to be people who actually have ever been freaking pregnant and had to cook for themselves while huge, swollen, and in need of a nap. ^_^ I remember one recipe for the third trimester involved standing at the stove for nearly 30 minutes, and I was like, 'nope, that ain't happening.'

However, the recipes really were good, and the nutrients were specific for what is needed each trimester. If nothing else, they might be a neat base to go off of if you are trying to create recipes of your own, ahead of time, that you can have during pregnancy. Or try out and see what you like and don't like.

Thank you. I actually just had a full check up with all sorts of testing (including celiac) and my primary and obgyn. :) Wanted to make sure all was good before we shell out thousands on his surgery ♡ I will look into that cook book. Thank you so much ♡
  • mrskatrinah
    mrskatrinah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been ttc for 10 months now. I decided yesterday to work on cleaning up my debit to make my body a more habitable environment. My focus is on eating healthier and cutting out highly processed foods.
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Can we be friends?! We are also going to start trying in July after I have my BC implant removed. Last year I lost 20 pounds on a low carb diet and walking, but in the fall/winter went through a major life change and depression and I've gained it all back! This will be our first child and I really want to save a safe and healthy pregnancy so I want to get my body as ready as I can!!
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    Can we be friends?! We are also going to start trying in July after I have my BC implant removed. Last year I lost 20 pounds on a low carb diet and walking, but in the fall/winter went through a major life change and depression and I've gained it all back! This will be our first child and I really want to save a safe and healthy pregnancy so I want to get my body as ready as I can!!

Yes! ♡ Thats very similar to me as well. Got into a car accident and had some other issues as well that caused me to emotionally eat again and I gained about 18 lbs. Let's help eachother
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    Hello, I have been ttc for 10 months now. I decided yesterday to work on cleaning up my debit to make my body a more habitable environment. My focus is on eating healthier and cutting out highly processed foods.

Awesome! Feel free to add me :)
  • babytanuki
    babytanuki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been ttc as well. I have a few pounds to go for my BMI but other than that I take my prenatal and daily vitamins, choline gummies, and calcium. Good luck!
  • mrshorntonk
    mrshorntonk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been TTC for 3 years but I won't be sent for fertility treatment until I lose 10kg... So I'm new on here and I'm going to do it!! Good luck everyone :smile:
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you also considered CoQ10 or ubiquinol for fertility support?
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I dropped 40 lbs and ate a low carb, low glycemic index diet when we were ttc since it was necessary. Basically a diabetic diet but not as low carb as keto, I ate probably 100-120 grams of carbs a day. It worked, I went from an almost non-existant cycle before the weight loss to a fairly regular cycle and conceived after 3 months of trying. Big thing was just keeping insulin levels stable since that seems to help pull other hormones back into line.

I have read that keto is not recommended during pregnancy so keep that in mind for when you start trying and you may actually want to switch that up, or at least chat with your Dr about the latest research and what they feel an appropriate amount of carbs would be during pregnancy. There have been recent studies in mice showing that there are changes in the organ development of fetal mice when the mother ate a ketogenic diet. I am not saying we are the same as mice, or that it is teratogenic in humans, but I thought I would share it since there are some concerns that it might not be well understood in the long term and I would want to know. :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Looking for ladies who have been successful or are currently prepping their bodies to ttc? My husband and I are going to start trying in July after he has surgery for a reversal . I want to get my body in tip top shape. I have lost 50 pounds on keto and have heard amazing things about keto and fertility, however I want to hear other nutritious ways you have prepared for baby making :). My son is 12 so I am totally starting over and more than excited. Been praying 8 years for this. This will be our first together ♡.

@AlyssaP1987 it sounds like you are on track for the best possible outcome. Best of continued Keto success.

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Me too! I’m just starting the ttc part. I’d like to lose a few more lbs.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Talking to your OBGYN would be a great start. They probably make you start taking some multivitamin to make sure you have enough folate.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just start taking prenatal vitamins now
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I usually try to get as fit as I can, track my cycles, take prenatals.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    We are hoping to start trying in a few months as well. I have been trying to eat healthier and I've been strength training three times a week and walking everyday. I just want to be in the best shape possible (in a way that's sustainable for me) to prepare my body going in to have both an easier time during pregnancy and after the baby is born.

I've also struggled with body image for years and I'm hoping becoming stronger and more fit will help me love and appreciate my body more, not only now, but also as it starts changing when we do conceive.