Diabetes Newbie

Options
I was just diagnosed with Diabetes. My doctor put me on amoryl (sp?) and told me that I need to go on a 1,800 calorie diet with exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Does anyone else relate to what I have just said?

Replies

• mtc1971
    mtc1971 Posts: 22
    Options
    I also have diabetes & am trying to stay on a 1200 to 1300 calorie diet. I walk on a treadmill for usually 3 - 10 min walks. I recently got a pedometer to try & up my calories but half to count it as slow walking. I am also on Amaryl.
  • Racerdan77
    Options
    Read my post right before yours.
  • sonyta23
    sonyta23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I can definitely relate to this! It's been 5 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes, but at least you received more advice than me. Doc just told me to lose weight, no instructions on how many calories or how much exercise! I was at 247 lbs in 2008 and have slowly been losing. It has only been very recently that I have realized what the prognosis is for people with uncontrolled diabetes. I knew, but I didn't believe it would happen to me. I have just joined myfitnesspal this week and am really buckling down. I will check in on you soon!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hello. i am a T2 diabetic for about 10 years. You can add me if you like.

I am a starch based dieter, so I love carbs. So be warned! lol. Carbs don't make you fat, you make you fat.

I don't know the medication you are on but if you are newly diagnosed, I will recommend you start exercising as diabetic medication tends to add 10-15 lbs.

Whatever dietary lifestyle you follow, I will support you. Good luck with your diabetes management.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am not Diabetic, but have a family history of this condition. I came to this site after getting a wake up call after losing my father due to complications of diabetes. After many years of research, I realize that you can beat this with proper diet and exercise and WITHOUT medication (with your doctors apporval, of course). Do not be discouraged. You can do this! Please feel free to add me as a friend for support and encouragement if you wish.
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi I have high cholest and high blood pressure.I am hoping that maybe if I could loose some weight i won`t get diabetes bc my father had that.Good luck!!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump