Incredibly Frustrated Read on +

Options
I have been trying to eat less/ better for the most part (cant say im perfect but i am considerably better) for a few weeks now. I also work out at least 4 days a week but im GAINING weight.

I feel very upset with myself and I dont understand why im gaining and I feel like its at a semi rapid pace too. I feel like I will never reach my goals. Has anyone experienced this? IF so what helped?

Replies

• nattums
    nattums Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, and while browsing the forums, i JUST NOW came across this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I think it may be the answer for which you're looking. Good luck!
  • sonyta23
    sonyta23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercises are you doing? could it be muscle gain?
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on?
    Did you take measurements before you started and how often are you measuring?

I had two weeks with no loss, then the third week I only lost like quarter of a pound. Thankfully it was time to do measurements because I was really discouraged. Turns out I had lost 2% body fat, and 4 inches all over in those three weeks. So I WAS loosing fat, but I was putting on muscle at almost the same rate, and thus the scale was not moving.

My first recommendation is to cut back on dairy and go wheat free for a week or two. Did you know, that on the glycemic index, a "healthy" whole wheat bagel registers the same to your insulin response as a package of skittles?

Replace rice with brown rice. Even better than brown rice is quinoa (at my grocery store it's in the gluten free section). Replace pasta with brown rice pasta, but still be mindful of portion size. Switch your bread and bagels to sprouted wheat grain bread. Ezekial 4:9 is a great bread. It's lower in gluten than regular bread and is healthier for you.

When I hit a plateau with my weight loss, that I don't think is due to muscle gain, I cut the wheat out, and that usually gets me over it. I also find that since I have cut back my grains, that an excess makes me bloated and miserable. So I've learned to cut back.

Good luck and God bless!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercises are you doing? could it be muscle gain?
    Muscle isn't gained in a mere few weeks as the OP shared they had been changing their habits in that amount of time. It takes quite some time to add muscle to your body & typically it's not when you're in a calorie deficit, it's not likely muscle is the result of the weight gain.

Could be a number of things, anything from gaining because your body is adjusting to a new lifestyle, some do gain at first then it tapers off then they lose. Could be not enough water intake, might be the foods you shared you're eating that are less than perfect (not that anyone has to be perfect, merely referencing how you worded it) since you didn't mention what the foods were, if they were heavy in sodium, etc. it's hard to know.

So many things it could be and the information you shared is minimal, if you had an open food diary and were comfortable sharing the types of foods you've been taking in, that might help.

Could it be you're not eating nearly enough and exercising a lot and not having enough fuel for your body to run on? That can cause lack of weight loss and sometimes weight gain.

It could be any of the above and more or it could be something your Doctor needs to be made aware of. The 2nd poster shared a good link to take a look at, it may or may not apply to your situation but it's a good thread to be aware of.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Not knowing what your food/situation is, can't really say.. but, you might find this info quite helpful..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits