Strength Training and Calories

Options
So I've been playing with the numbers here, on fat to fit radio, and on freedieting.com and i'm overwhelmed. I've been zig-zagging my calories from 1450-2000 calories a day including exercise since April (MFP is set to 1570 per day with exercise added to that). I'm 5' 7" and I generally run 3x a week (20ish miles total). I'm in half marathon training season so that will be increasing too. I've just recently added strength training about four weeks ago as well as have focused on eating 120+ g of protein each day. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women last Sunday and am doing that three times a week. I take one rest day a week and my striving to get yoga in once too.

Now to my question, I've been very hungry lately. My diary is public if you want the specifics, and yes i do eat back my exercise calories. So, since adding this lifting, how many more calories should I add to my diet since just eating back exercise calories my HRM shows me isn't quite accurate?

Now here's the kicker...since i started lifting about 4 weeks ago, I've GAINED 3 lbs. I *think* this is because my body is repairing muscle that it previously was depleting when I wasn't getting enough protein. I'm *hoping* it will go back down, but I'm not sure if adding more calories to my diet is a good idea or not.

Thoughts...?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    strength training makes me hungry as hell, I don't know why. I can go for a LONG cardio session and burn the same or more calories, but strength training will leave me hungry for 2 days.

I don't know why and I dont' know what to tell you as far as how many calories specifically.

I just - eat more. I think everyones body is so different its hard to say. You're already working on the protein so I can't offer that.

Maybe try adding 300 caloris on the days you're hungry, see if it makes you gain, if it does dial it down until you find the right number. You look fantastic by the way.
  • Ogrillion
    Options
    I dont know if this is the "right way" but when I do an hour of strength training my HRM says I sometimes burn up to 800 calories - which like you said I don't believe.

So normally I cut it down to 250 and call it a day. I think it also depends on how your working out some days I don't "rest" inbetween exercise, I just work a different muscle group, those days I generally go up in my calories burned, say maybe 300.

I wonder if pausing the HRM when you rest would give you more accurate calories burned?
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You have to expect to gain a bit of weight when you start strength training as you're building muscle, assuming as you're a runner you won't be trying to put on lots of muscle then you won't always be gaining, but I wouldn't expect that extra weight to just disappear.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but I've done enough reading to be dangerous...

I find the same thing to be true for me. I can burn 500 calories running and not be hungry at all, or I can burn 300 calories lifting and be hungry all day. I've read in several places that lifting causes the body to work more on build/repairing muscles than does cardio, so you end up burning more calories over the course of the day. Your metabolism will also increase as you build more lean muscle, causing your BMR to increase, which could lead to hunger as well.
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Can someone tell me why lifting heavy makes me feel incredibly "hot" all day? I swear, the days I lift I walk around feeling like I'm in a sauna!--today is a good example! On my cardio only days its not that bad.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lifting causes a boost to your metabolism that lasts long after your workout has ended.

Cardio work causes a boost to your metabolism primarily only while you are working out. Once the workout is over, your metabolism goes back to "normal".

So it's all about metabolism... the faster your metabolism, the more your body is working to sustain itself, which means more calories are burned even when doing nothing (good for weight loss), more of an appetite, and a faster metabolism probably accounts for feeling warmer (I'm just guessing, but it makes sense based on what I know).
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The extra weight is probably water weight, because muscles hold alot more water than fat does! (Like 3x the amount I believe)

And the strength training does boost your metabolism, and the "after burn" (you can read about that in NROLFW:drinker: ) causes you to burn more calories throughout the day. Your calories sound perfect, not too low of a defecit, but still enough of a defecit to continue losing. Maybe alter your meals, not necessarily your daily calories, but try to eat at different times or different size meals. Instead of a big dinner, maybe a small dinner, and then a snack a couple hours later. Make breakfast or lunch your biggest meal and then have all your snacks and dinner at a lower amount of calories?
    I dont know!
    Wish I had better advice for you Cass! I am totally going to start studying nutrition so I can help people cause I would really like to be able to explain everything to you and know what Im talking about! lol
    Have you thought about trying gluten free? I know that makes a big difference for some people. Otherwise you sound like you are eating the perfect amount. Give it a couple weeks with the new lifting routine and the new protein amount and see what type of a difference you see, and then maybe reduce calories..

HTH!!
    :heart: me :drinker:
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started lifting hot and heavy in mid April - old school squats, bench, deadlift, rows. I have been swim training like mad for my triathlons. Both activities make me ravenous. My weight loss has been fairly stagnant - 2 lbs a month if I am lucky. But the fat loss around my thighs and oss has been remarkable, although I still feel really thick. I'm still a bit confused as most of my reading indicates a female can't build more than 3-5 pounds of muscle a year even under perfect conditions. On the bright side, I've had to take my belts to a leather smith to have new holes drilled. I have read (bro-science sis-science, mind you) that your body will hold water in the tissues when it is trying to rebuild from a hard workout. I am as frustrated as you....I wish it would go faster. But it took me ten years to get myself into this sad state. I am taking photos once a month to compare side by side - it helps me not go insane.