I just started Keto any tips!?!

Options
I just started 6 days ago on the Keto diet and i am trying to figure out the best way to eat. I feel like i'm just eating a ton of cheddar cheese and meat. Just looking for some facts and tips from people on it. No negative comments please!

Replies

• Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    85% dark chocolate is a nice treat and low carb.drink lots of infused water , omelettes and have lots of spices in your chicken to get great flavours.plenty of greens , soon the carb cravings will go and you will be in a good routine.fish is good too
  • nhackel1
    nhackel1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time with chips, i need tortilla chips or cheese-its used to eat them every day lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Kale chips? Or roasted Brussels sprouts are really good salted.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    nhackel1 wrote: »
    I am having the hardest time with chips, i need tortilla chips or cheese-its used to eat them every day lol

You can also bake cheese slices in the oven to make homemade low carb cheese its!
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Be sure you aren't eating a high protein low fat low carb diet. Not getting enough fats on any low carb diet is a common mistake.
  • Rea20021989
    Rea20021989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I missed LOADS of stuff when i first started keto - bread and potatoes especially. I'm really glad I stuck with it though (over a year later and -72kg) as it's so much better for my health and the only thing I find sustainable. At first I tried to find substitutes - and there are definitely some out there. The suggestion of baking slices of cheese in the oven (around 10-15min at 200 degrees Celsius) make a great crispy snack if you're missing chips. Nut butter breads (google recipe) are great if you're missing those kinds of things, though best eaten in moderation. replacing potato with things like celeriac, rice with cauli rice, pasta with zoodles etc are all great options. Mix it up and experiment, keep your fats high, carbs low and proteins moderate and you can't really go wrong.

personally i would say you need to try a month or two to see if it's for you. You won't be fat adapted or see any of the longer term health benefits like increased energy, more efficient sleep, lack of brain fog, fat loss after the healing phase etc. if you only try it for two weeks. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but most of the main benefits aren't apparent within the first few weeks!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I don't follow keto, but re: the chips....i've been enjoying zucchini crisps. Slice a zucchini pretty thin, lay it on a baking sheet. 2 tbsp olive oil, seasonings to your liking (I use salt, pepper, garlic). bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (flip halfway).
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,380 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er....feel free to take a look at my food diary to get some ideas....Also I have tons of keto cookbooks...if you would like recipes let me know ... :)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

You can also bake cheese slices in the oven to make homemade low carb cheese its!

Uh oh. Cheeze-its were (and still are) a tough one for me to avoid. The "get your own box" applied to me....I didn't need to know that I can make my own, but I kinda like the idea here....
  • simplymaura
    simplymaura Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I follow LCHF... had a year off where i gained 20lbs. ew. So, I'm back at it, and down 9lbs so far. Calories DO matter. I weigh and measure everything. I also take magnesium malate to balance my electrolytes. My macros are as follows: Protein is a minimum, fat is guideline (50g minimum), carbs are target and to lose weight, lower end of calories, maintain weight, mid-high range.

Protein - 100g
    Fat - 75-175g
    Carbs <25g
    Calories 1174 -2073

There are tons of variations on this way of eating. I have the book, the art & science of low carb by Drs. Phinney & Volek. The macros come from the OKL chart (optimal ketogenic living).

Most important tip I've learned... when craving sweets, have something salty (dill pickles-I like the spicy ones, or boullion...)

I have a bunch of recipes to....
  • bannock_and_biceps
    bannock_and_biceps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    whisps from costco. they are cheese chips with no gluten. 100 calories for a serving. and one carb! check them out.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just started 6 days ago on the Keto diet and i am trying to figure out the best way to eat. I feel like i'm just eating a ton of cheddar cheese and meat. Just looking for some facts and tips from people on it. No negative comments please!

@nhackel1 the only keto requirement I know about is to eat at or below 50 grams of carbs daily. Some seem to do this from the start but it took me a few months. Keto has been awesome for my body and mind since 2014.

Best of success.
  • Sasa4u
    Sasa4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for three months now in addition to IF and it’s working for me. At first keeping it interesting was a little tough but I soon adapted. I eat a spinach / baby green salad almost everyday (yes by choice) with peppers, cucumbers, chicken, turkey, steak,or eggs, avocado and always almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds and olive oil. Keeps me feeling full until dinner. Tonight I had turkey sausage cut up cooked with a marinara sauce over spaghetti squash. It doesn’t have to be just meat and cheese! :smiley: Stick with it, you will find your groove! 👍🏻