Overweight female about to start working out TIPS please

Hey guys, I have a well built gym I’m sure all of y’all dreamed you had and it comes free in my apartment. I know. I’m just scared and embarrassed but that’s done. I need this weight off of me not just for my mental health but physical. I can fill it all.
Any videos, blogs or just advice I can start with?
Thanks guys

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    My advice is that it’s better to do something rather than nothing. There are times (more than I care to mention) when the last thing I want to do is go to the gym. But I *make* myself go, and I am ALWAYS glad I did!
    As for specifics, my recommendation is to start a weightlifting program (there are beginner programs noted in these forums) & do a few days of cardio per week. Don’t put off the weight training! It will transform your body more than you could imagine.
    Track your calories (weigh solids, measure liquids), burn more cals than you consume, and you will see results.
    There’s a lot of great infornation in the stickied posts at the top of this forum page, I’d suggest perusing those, too.
    Best of luck to you!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Exercise is an excellent thing to do. However, if you want to lose weight, be sure that you are also consistently weighing and logging your food. That is the key to making sure that you are in a calorie deficit, which is required for weight loss. Exercise gives you more calories to eat and helps you achieve other health and fitness goals.

Having said that, strength training is a good idea for everyone. See the "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of this forum for guidance on choosing a strength training program.

Choose cardio exercise(s) that you enjoy and will want to stick with. You might start with walking, especially if you are new to exercise. If it's possible for you to get outside, many people find that more pleasant than using cardio equipment.
  • I think the hardest aspect is motivation and it seems you have a lot of it. So that's a great start. Exercise has so many benefits beyond weight loss but people often forget it or believe it's unnecessary when I believe it serves a more important function. It can increase BNF which improves cognition and focus (its good for your brain). I think the most important thing is to find an exercise you like doing and will want to do it. It may be worth paying for a personal trainer to teach you how to use some of the equipment and to ensure you don't hurt yourself.

The biggest obstacle is always boredom and feeling an obligation to exercise which may foster resentment. The strategy of pairing may come in handy in that case. If you download a good audio book and only listen to it when you're exercising it may give you a reason to look forward to your workout.

You could also try something unconventional and fun. Pole dancing is very accepting of all shapes and sizes, same with trampolining, barre and soul cycle. All of them emphasise fun and mastery. I myself started pole dancing and was a complete weakling. After a few months I was able to do 6 pull ups at the playground monkey bars. You get strong without even realising which is THE BEST FEELING. Try everything. Find a strategy that works for you and an accountability partner and soak in the happy after glow.

Here are some resources that might help:
    Gretchen Rubin - happier podcast
    Blogilates on youtube
    Yoga with Adrienne on youtube
    Sworkit fitness app
    HIIT workout app

Good luck, add me as a friend if you want, message me and let me know how you go 😊
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Be patient with yourself and the process.

I was 220lbs when I decided to take health and fitness more seriously. I'd beat myself up every week, if not every day, that it wasn't coming off faster. It wasn't until someone said to me "you didn't gain all that weight overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight either" did it finally sink in that this was a lifestyle, not a quick fix.

The Facebook group Fitness Programming by CVG is personally my biggest motivator and encourager. They have programming, the coaches will always help with form checks, etc. They discuss food and sustainable eating, they're also a clothing brand and they have free weekly workouts. They also have fun podcasts called Thick Thighs Save Lives if you want to look them up.

Whatever you do - keep moving <3 Congrats on wanting to do good things!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    If you've never used a gym before- try find a personal trainer who does home visits. That way they can set a program for you with the available equipment and show you how to use it properly.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2019
    Begin a lifting program while eating in a reasonable deficit. There are free ones that will be decent for the a 2-4 months. It doesn't matter which one you choose if you are untrained. Just find one that you fancy and would comply to.

Good luck :smile: .
    [edited by MFP mods]
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    I found that a gym can be overwhelming if you don't have a plan! My first membership at a gym, I used nothing but the treadmill because I simply did not know what else to do. The gym I belong to now just opened a little over a month ago, and I knew I wanted to add some strength training to the cardio I was doing so I googled and found a program that I was able to make work with the equipment there. Then the first week, I just went to all the equipment that I planned to use and familiarized myself it; the second week I started the program that I had downloaded. I look forward to my gym time every morning now and I'm on week 4 of the 12 week program I'm doing.....so long story short, Have a Plan!
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,410 Member
    I have lost a total of 95 pounds and have done very well with keeping it off, some suggestions I have are

1. don't do too much at once. If you go too hard too soon you will stop exercising. The feeling of intimidation, having sore muscles or not finding enjoyment will stop you from pushing forward. Always go at your own pace, and take breaks when needed.
    2. try and develop a routine or habit. Try not to exercise with the goal being to loose weight, a lot of people tend to do this and end up failing. Look at exercise as something new and something you are striving to build a long term habit...once you get into the habit you will potentially continue to go back..it also helps when your frustrated. If you go at it with end goal of loosing weight and then lets say one week you end up gaining or not loosing much, the discouragement might lead you to wanting to give up all together...and you don't want that. But if you are trying to build a habit, you will continue exercising just to keep active.
    3. Any movement is exercise. Find exercises that will get you off the couch. Dance, swim, walk, look up videos for boxing and low impact aerobics are some excellent beginner workouts. Experiment, find things you enjoy and eventually you will figure out which ones will help keep you consistent
    4. Exercise is not an all or nothing. Some people believe that if you can't set aside 30-60 min for working out then why bother. If you find yourself motivated to do 10 mins in the morning, 10 mins in the afternoon and 10 mins at night...you will have accomplished 30 mins of working out that day and eliminate the stress of having to commit to a full 30 all at once...especially if you are a beginner. Thinking of a 30 min workout might lead to procrastination and at the end not accomplishing your 30 a day goal...but 10 mins is easy to set aside and can even help on those less than enthusiastic and lower energy days.
    5. Gyms aren't a must. Yes, some people find it helpful but there are tons of fun and interactive ways to exercise in your own home. YouTube videos and channels can help you get fit ...there are even apartment friendly work outs for those who can't make too much noise. Plus, you have a house/apartment/condo/dorm etc with free weights. Cans of soup are great alternatives to 2 lb weights, chairs and sofas are great Workout benches and the added bonus, you can do this while watching your favorite show on tv.
    6. Have a vision board or a visual set out to help with motivation. If you have a dress or pair of pants you want to get into, have it visible in your workout station. This will help with motivation and will power.

I think that's all I have to offer but if I think of more than I will post
  • lipsn001
    lipsn001 Posts: 1 Member
    First of all...we have all been beginners at one point so do not be embarrassed. Anyone who isn't an *kitten* and is serious about health will probably give you props for being in there in the first place and give you tips as well..I am often the only girl lifting and I have to ask for help from large body building type men all the time and have never been denied.

Obviously food is really important. They say abs are made in the kitchen for a reason

Depending on your thing..I recommended fitness blender on YouTube for beginners...big variety for at home or gym.
    I personally get bored with long stretches of cardio so I lift. But make sure to keep my heart rate up by pushing hard and heavy and taking very short rests. Krissy Cela, Whitney Simmons, Hanna oberg, Abby pollack..all women on YouTube who weight lift and have plenty of tips. Maybe look into those..or anyone else you stumble on. It's amazing how motivating it can be when you find an influencer with a personality you like. Take tips and then tailor it for what you can do.

You have to be honest with yourself. Not compare. Your heavy lifting is not their heavy lifting. Don't try and keep up with people that have put in years of work but don't kid yourself and say you're giving it your all if you aren't either. So much of all of this diet/exercise is mental.

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    I have lost a total of 95 pounds and have done very well with keeping it off, some suggestions I have are

1. don't do too much at once. If you go too hard too soon you will stop exercising. The feeling of intimidation, having sore muscles or not finding enjoyment will stop you from pushing forward. Always go at your own pace, and take breaks when needed.
    2. try and develop a routine or habit. Try not to exercise with the goal being to loose weight, a lot of people tend to do this and end up failing. Look at exercise as something new and something you are striving to build a long term habit...once you get into the habit you will potentially continue to go back..it also helps when your frustrated. If you go at it with end goal of loosing weight and then lets say one week you end up gaining or not loosing much, the discouragement might lead you to wanting to give up all together...and you don't want that. But if you are trying to build a habit, you will continue exercising just to keep active.
    3. Any movement is exercise. Find exercises that will get you off the couch. Dance, swim, walk, look up videos for boxing and low impact aerobics are some excellent beginner workouts. Experiment, find things you enjoy and eventually you will figure out which ones will help keep you consistent
    4. Exercise is not an all or nothing. Some people believe that if you can't set aside 30-60 min for working out then why bother. If you find yourself motivated to do 10 mins in the morning, 10 mins in the afternoon and 10 mins at night...you will have accomplished 30 mins of working out that day and eliminate the stress of having to commit to a full 30 all at once...especially if you are a beginner. Thinking of a 30 min workout might lead to procrastination and at the end not accomplishing your 30 a day goal...but 10 mins is easy to set aside and can even help on those less than enthusiastic and lower energy days.
    5. Gyms aren't a must. Yes, some people find it helpful but there are tons of fun and interactive ways to exercise in your own home. YouTube videos and channels can help you get fit ...there are even apartment friendly work outs for those who can't make too much noise. Plus, you have a house/apartment/condo/dorm etc with free weights. Cans of soup are great alternatives to 2 lb weights, chairs and sofas are great Workout benches and the added bonus, you can do this while watching your favorite show on tv.
    6. Have a vision board or a visual set out to help with motivation. If you have a dress or pair of pants you want to get into, have it visible in your workout station. This will help with motivation and will power.

@stephiecedillo - THIS THIS THIS THIS! I'd just add that if you can afford a personal trainer for a couple of sessions, it will help immensely. But the re-read the first point - don't go too hard. Start slow, but remember to start 😊

Don't be embarrassed. Ever. You are an incredible human being who should never ever be embarrassed about exercising, nor scared. You can do this!
  • MissCM1983
    MissCM1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Even though it’s hard, just remember that everyone is at the gym and focused on themselves. People wont care what you’re doing. If anything- they’ll think it’s great that you’re there.
    Good luck!
  • jessicalys
    jessicalys Posts: 27 Member

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Plus, don't let other people tell you the "best workout for fat loss". The only way to lose fat is a calorie deficit. Working out will help you create a deficit, but you still can't out exercise a bad diet.

Consistency is key. If you enjoy it you will continue to do it. I hate cardio on machines and I hate HIIT workouts. But I LOVE walking my dog. So I walk my dog for at least 30 mins every day. Because I'm consistent, this is better cardio than getting on a rower machine once every month and hating every minute.

Strength training is a MUST for so many reasons. Helps increase bone density which is important while we age, increases metabolic resting state, and the "toned" look that people want only comes from weights. You can still find a method of weight lifting you enjoy to stick with it. I do powerlifting. Some people like classes.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    As a very overweight person who started at a gym in January I completely agree with abowersgirl and jessicalys
    My experience was to start slowly and build it up. It was treadmill only, then I added a stairclimber and then spoke to a PT who gave me some suggestions for weights and toning.
    I have "gym days" as having a routine works for me so I have the time setaside 3 times a week and I ensure I go, I also have an app with goals so that prompts me and helps with motivation.
    I would really recommend keeping a record of what you're doing, there are days when I get frustrated and think its not working but then when I review my stats and see how much better my times are now compared to when I started it gives me a boost.

The single most important thing I think is enjoying it, the gym shouldn't be a chore, do what you get the most satisfaction out of because anything is better than nothing. Good luck :)
  • bross57
    bross57 Posts: 15 Member
    Weigh yourself daily, throw out all sweets from your cabinet, cut out all soda, and avoid the “well-built” gym. Instead, buy a good pair of walking or running shoes and start a vigorous daily walking regimen. Being outdoors is more enjoyable and you’ll stick to it longer. You might even be inspired to train for a 5K.