Elliptical motivation

Options
I cannot seem to last longer than a mile on the elliptical machine. How do some of you get on it and go,go,go...? I would like to burn over 500 calories, but I end up quiting at a mile. Is it boredom or lack of self motivation? Maybe both. I need some ideas. Got any? Thanks!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    TBH, I ALWAYS want to stop. However, I get some good music, a few good games on my iPod, and cover up the time/distance/calories with my towel. :)
  • caitlinmottl
    Options
    whenever i am on the elliptical i put on some songs on my ipod that have varying beat tempos, so i pump my legs to the beat and switch it up with every song as it changes. it keeps me from getting bored and makes me feel more in sync with my body which makes my workouts go quiker
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use "aerobic mode" when I do it. It tells you to focus of pushing, then pulling with your arms. Going forwards and backwards. Holding a speed of 6mph then going your own pace. It helps to switch things up and helps me get a better overall workout.
  • Jeliica
    Jeliica Posts: 41
    Options
    I do the weight loss program on the elliptical at the gym so it changes, from low to high, and it changes up the pace instead of one continuous flow, I also downloaded a bunch of club popping tracks to keep me motivated and just like I'm dancing, lol.
  • ViciousReemo
    Options
    ok that doesnt happen to me but i burn about 100 cals

ok so i keep going on like this, i go for a low level wen i start after 2 mins i go for high then i stay on the high level for 1 min and then low level again for 2 mins so if you keep doing this it works
    and keep counting numbers in yur brain it keeps your mind away for the machine lol!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just crank up the music and focus more on that lol. The elliptical is a tough one.....I call it the "Beast"! It took me awhile to be able to work up to a big workout on it. Just add a few more mins each time and before you know it, you will work yourself up to 500 calories and then some:) Good luck!!!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I play around with the resistance every song that I listen to on my i-pod. Makes it a little bit harder, but also burn more calories too. I also make it a point sometimes to also not stop until I reach say 3 miles or whatever goal I want to set.
  • ctlbwilli
    ctlbwilli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading. I get a good book, and only allow myself to read while I am on the eliptical. In order to ensure I get a good workout, I set the machine to do an interval workout; or hill workout. So, when the tension increases I push harder to really get my heart rate up. Then when the tension eases I take it easy. Good luck! You can do it!
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    get some good music, magazine, book, whatever. I have an eliptical in my house, so I usually just pop in a good DVD and go.
  • butterfly81106
    Options
    I listen to music with a good beat -loud. Good luck!
  • tinymite1
    tinymite1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same things that others have posted. I will put the machine into aerobic mode, fat burn mode, pick out some tunes on my Itouch, watch a movie on my itouch, and always avoid looking at the time by keeping my eyes somewhere else or covering the console. Thats it in a nutshell :D
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    :bigsmile: I love, love, love the Elliptical Trainer....I like to do different resistance levels...when i first get on it i do about a 4-5 level...and go fast fast fast for 1 mile...then i slow down and go up to an 8 level of resistance and hang out like that for awhile...then i might go backwards for a few minutes...of course i have a playlist for my elliptical workout....i do this routine for about 35 minutes and then i go to the bike trainer and do that for about 40 minutes or so...just get yourself some good upbeat music and let your mind enjoy the beat...
  • i actually started the elliptical in physical therapy after having back surgery and the therapist would always say just try for 5 mins... 5 more mins.. i thought id die the first time when they said 10 mins!! then after 12 weeks of twice a week i just pushed for an extra 5 mins more then last time.. at the end i was up to an hour! i would watch t.v. there or just stare and think.. kinda space out lol so i bought a machine like it for my home and im trying to stay in the same routine here but its harder when u dont have anyone pushing you or sayin good job lol... good luck to you!!!
  • ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    TBH, I ALWAYS want to stop. However, I get some good music, a few good games on my iPod, and cover up the time/distance/calories with my towel. :)

Good music and I too cover up the time and miles with my towel...if only I could cover up the clock on the wall at the gym.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical I listen to audiobooks or engaging podcasts. Also, can you set the machine display so that it only displays your calories burned and not distance?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such great advice. I am going to do this! :smile:
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha I posted the same question last week and am still struggling...Have decided I need to get a kindle or a nook or something to watch motivational shows..good luck!
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the eliptical machine is bad for your knees?...haven't tried it yet but have a bad knee.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    To gandydancer....the elliptical is supposed to be the least hardest machine for knees....very little impact. I think you could do it with no problem:)
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help, climbing hills I felt something on the outside of my knee like a jagged feeling sort of a rip and it is hurting.