Would anyone be willing to help me work out how many calories I need to lose weight and train?

2»

Replies

• Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2019
    @sijomial I've joined the Strava club - I'm @Claire R :-) thanks again
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Claire5520 wrote: »
    Thanks for all these replies. I was wondering how the 'fitness goals' impacted, so good to hear they have no bearing on calorie adjustment.

I've gone with MFP automatic suggestions as you've all pretty much recommended, based on being sedentary all day, set to lose 0.5lb per week. That brings me in at just under 1400 calories, which I'll set as my baseline. I'll plan to eat half my exercise calories on top of that.

The one thing I can't work out, and @sijomial you may know the answer to this:

I'm using a Wahoo bike computer + Wahoo HR monitor for rides. So this monitors calorie expenditure for bike rides and gets uploaded to Strava, which then syncs to MFP.

I've also use a Garmin Vivoactive3 as my day-to-day watch. It tracks steps and activity - increased HR at the gym, walking etc. You can also sync that to MFP so active calories are also logged.

However, if I wear the Garmin during a bike ride - and it therefore captures the bike ride calorie expenditure (simply because it's on my wrist, I'm not using it for tracking) - I'm assuming bike calories will be double-counted? (once on Strava via Wahoo, once on Garmin)?

I know one solution just to remove the Garmin whilst I'm cycling.. I'm just wondering.

Thanks for being patient with my over-thinking! Will look up those cycling threads and maybe see you on Strava :-)

Personally I hated it when I synced devices to here so keep everything disconnected and just enter my rides manually with the numbers I believe are best estimates.
    I have no interest in tracking daily activity though, I feel no need to micro manage something so variable.

You really don't want your HR for gym workouts to be involved in calorie estimates though - unless you have a mode for weight training on your watch when it might be able to interpret the spikes in HR which really have almost no relationship to energy expenditure during strength training.

Strava changed last year to take the calorie estimates from some partner apps rather than calculate its own estimate from speed/distance/geography - Garmin are one of those partners but you would have to check if Wahoo are too by seeing if the numbers are identical.
    Personal experience was that Strava was actually better for estimates and Garmin is OK for brisk or fast rides but badly underestimates for gentle rides where I seem to produce more power at low HR than Garmin believes.

Strava (via my phone app) underestimates when I'm using a hybrid bike for urban transport - its assumed power output is ludicrously low, less than I produce during a warmup. Being a gross estimate instead of net calories actually brings it back closer to reality.

There's a pervasive myth about eating back half exercise calories on here which seems ingrained in a "group think" despite being mathematically and logically unsound as general advice. As you can see from above examples exercise estimate inaccuracy includes underestimates as well as overestimates. Garmin gives me about 180,000 cycling calories in a 12 month reporting sample, I would be horribly under-fuelled and underweight if I only ate half of them!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Claire5520 wrote: »
    @sijomial I've joined the Strava club - I'm @Claire R :-) thanks again

Great!
    More the merrier. :smiley:

I'm Simon and my profile picture on Strava was taken from the top of the cyclist's Mecca of Box Hill, it's a lovely view spoiled by me being in the foreground!
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    @sijomial I think you're the one immediately above me on the leaderboard. Same part of the country(ish) too. Thank you for the advice, I will reflect!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    @Claire5520

I must admit I've never checked - but the only possible good point to that round of syncing is the fact Garmin is a replace-only system (unlike MFP being add-on system).

So if a workout comes in to MFP from Strava it has a start time & duration and calorie burn at minimum.

It would then be pushed out to Garmin (if they accept incoming workouts, that's what I've not confirmed but it appears it should) and replace whatever Garmin already had for that chunk of time.

So if Garmin already had the stats from the VA3, they'd ultimately get replaced by at least calories from Strava/Wahoo. HR info would not come across.

The kicker would be if that above sync from Strava occurred before the VA3 got it's data synced in, if VA3 came later - it would replace the workout specific calories already there.

You should be able to look at GC workouts and see if past ones came in from MFP.

I did like having it synced because I had couple days bare bones activity, several days busy with workouts, several days busy with daily activity - so my daily without exercise was all over the place.