Cancer and weight

Options
I have just had an operation to take cancer away and they have put me on hormone ta lets which they say put weight on is there any way i can still lose weight and is there any food i can eat so the cancer will not come back any advice please.

Replies

• kathydavis6
    kathydavis6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im 13 stone and dont want to put on any more as i should be around 9 stone ,but they say taking hormone tablets are going to put weivht on.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Right now what is important is recovery so I would take the pills but if you eat within your calorie range and log your food you can likely reduce the amount gained. Your body is unlikely to add too much fat if you aren't taking in too many calories. I am not a medical professional so even if I knew what you were taking I couldn't tell you anything more than that. Usually when meds cause weight gain it is either by reducing your metabolism or increasing your appetite. Good luck and I hope you regain your health as soon as possible.
  • RuthRunner10
    RuthRunner10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a cancer survivor and have spent a lot of time learning about best practices post recovery from cancer. Eating whole foods and reducing refined sugar are both things that create a healthier overall diet and can assist with weight loss. I know it can be scary and it is good that you are thinking about lifestyle factors you can control to impact your health in a good way. I am not sure what type of cancer you have, but from what I have learned, most cancers are not caused by one thing. Other lifestyle factors that help - exercise/movement, stress reduction, eliminate alcohol, get enough sleep.