does anyone purposly not eat a lot of calories for the purpose at eating more at night?

Options
trulyhealy
trulyhealy Posts: 242 Member
im just wondering if anyone does this as I've noticed previously I ate two good meals for breakfast and lunch and a snack during the day which didn't leave that many caloires at night which is when I like to snack. if you do this does it help with not over eating? im scared this will leave me to binge at night.

for example today I had
apple for breakfast

banana for a snack

carrots and dip for lunch

orange before dinner

dinner ( idk what im having yet)

and then i plan to have a mars bar, a milky way cripsy roll and an orange flavoured club bar

this sort of plan i would only do for like 10 days while im in college as i leave soon for a few months. i know the night time isnt the healhtiest but i feel as if jumping one extreme to another would jsut backfire and for now, this could be a stepping stone

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you need to get in enough protein and nutrients, but otherwise you can spread out your calories any way you want.

If I don’t exercise I maintain at 1700 calories. I generally eat around 250 for breakfast and 250 for lunch. That leaves me with 1200 for dinner, wine, dessert in the evening. It works for me and my lifestyle.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I save cals for a 500 cal bedtime snack every day. :smile:

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time.
  • RabbidBunnies
    RabbidBunnies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, maybe around 350 calories, up until dinner time, because I have no idea what that is going to be. That gives me quite a few clories before I reach the 1200 max, and if dinner is low in calories, all the better. I've eaten that way for so long, it's pretty much my normal.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I save 1000 for supper and snack.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    im just wondering if anyone does this as I've noticed previously I ate two good meals for breakfast and lunch and a snack during the day which didn't leave that many caloires at night which is when I like to snack. if you do this does it help with not over eating? im scared this will leave me to binge at night.

for example today I had
    apple for breakfast

banana for a snack

carrots and dip for lunch

orange before dinner

dinner ( idk what im having yet)

and then i plan to have a mars bar, a milky way cripsy roll and an orange flavoured club bar

this sort of plan i would only do for like 10 days while im in college as i leave soon for a few months. i know the night time isnt the healhtiest but i feel as if jumping one extreme to another would jsut backfire and for now, this could be a stepping stone

everyone is different but i'd be a beast by lunch time if i ate only an apple and a banana. by mid afternoon i'd be yelling at people.

But if i undereat during the day i tend to OVEREAT in the evening so counter productive.

i prefer a 300cal steel cut oat breakfast to keep me going, good 350 cal lunch 400-500 cal dinner the rest in snacks.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recommend eating eggs in the morning if you can! They aren't too high in calories and keep you filled for a good amount of the day. I also tend to eat less during the day, but eggs saved me from being starved all the time. For lunch I'll do a salad (you can get salad kits for 250-350 cals) or grab a Clif bar (not super nutritional but filling). This is more cals than it looks like you're consuming at the moment before dinner, but might be worth it to feel fuller. Feeling full will help lower the probability of binge eating. Good luck!
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My breakfast + lunch is around half my calories for the day. Dinner is the other half.

But this is fine with me. I’m not ravenously hungry during the day and I can have a nice dinner.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works best for your own body and routine. I am never hungry in the morning - basically how I've been as long as I can remember (with the exception of when I was pregnant haha). So I don't eat breakfast. Not hungry, so why force it. Then I eat an early but large lunch with lots of fiber which personally helps me stay full, and a large dinner. Some small snack between and maybe evening glass of wine or popcorn if I have room for it. This works well for me. But some people wake up super hungry in the morning, have a huge breakfast, but a tiny dinner. Others have to graze all day to not get too hungry. So you have to figure out how to listen to your body and adapt your eating to keep you full and satisfied so you aren't tempted to binge.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The thing is, when you reach goal, will this be a sustainable eating pattern for you? Hopefully you will keep logging and tracking in maintenance. Otherwise, I see the possibility of over-snacking at night and re-gaining the weight. I personally prefer spreading my calories almost evenly across 3 meals, with a bit more for dinner and maybe a 150 calorie snack after dinner (but I only get 1200-1300 calories).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Um... didn't I mention intermittent fasting on your last thread? :/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently wrong with this plan, nor is there anything unhealthy about eating at night. The idea that you shouldn't eat after a certain time is a myth. You can eat your calories at whatever time you like.

Having said that, the question is really about whether this plan is healthy for you. I would personally feel pretty bad if all I ate before dinner was a couple pieces of fruit and some carrots. I would probably have a headache, feel very hungry, and be in an awful mood. If you like to eat this way and it works for your body, you can do it.

I prefer to pre-log the food I plan to eat, always making sure I budget for dessert after dinner, since that's what I enjoy doing. This helps me balance out my food over the day so I neither overeat nor feel hungry.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat a lot in the morning most days.

Usually my day goes something like this:

1-2 cups of coffee with 2tbsp creamer

Gym time

100 calorie protein shake
    100-200 calories of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit

Lunch might be some protein and a carb or carbs and fat usually about 300-400 calories

Then I might have another cup of coffee with cream.

By the time dinner rolls around I usually still have 700-800 calories available. Sometimes more.

Your day however looks to be all carbs. Make sure you are meeting your protein and fat needs as well.

This is pretty much exactly what I do, too! Personally, I like having my largest meal at night because I don't like moving around with a lot of food in my system. I'll eat what I need to get me through the day at work, then I come home and eat dinner and a snack while relaxing for the night. I feel like it helps me sleep/recover better too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly eat at night (I'm done eating by 5 or 6 pm), but my calories are not split equally. Lunch is by far my largest most of the time. My breakfast is usually 0-500 calories (I only eat breakfast when I'm hungry in the morning), then however many calories lunch takes (usually 700-1200), and the rest is for dinner and snacks. Dinner is typically pretty light because the heavy lunch keeps me full. If I go out for dinner and I know it will be high in calories, I skip breakfast on purpose and have a light lunch (or even skip lunch if I'm expecting dinner to be very high in calories).
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch for me is about 1/4 to 1/3 of my daily caloric intake. I save the rest for dinner. I usually don't snack unless I'm trying to make a minimum caloric goal for the day. I don't have a lot of calories per day to "play with" so I make dinner my biggest and most satisfying meal.
  • dilbobaggins06
    dilbobaggins06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually am at about 300 calories before dinner and snack. I usually end up with around 1200, so most of my calories are used during and after dinner too