Binge eating

Options
I never thought I had a problem. But now that I think about I have a bingeing eating problem. I been doin this for a long time i guess. I can binge on any thing!
I started doin it again on Monday! And I know I should not do it. I feel so gross when I do it but I really can't get my self to stop!!!! How do others deal with it?

Replies

• ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I overload myself with pictures of overly sweet food and overly fried foods (like here: http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/page/2), then look at pictures of salads or fruits and veggies. It actually helps a lot.
  • rhollaar
    Options
    don't know how long you have been monitoring your eating. the same thing happened to me about a week ago i have been monitoring my food for 3 months, have had wonderful success. caught myself in mid mouth stuffing, spit it out and decided my health was more important. i hope you find a substitute for the food, read, run, scream what ever it takes - don't go backward your worth more than the pleasure/pain of stuffing and then feeling awful. best of luck and if you have to recommit every day then do it!
  • Wemonaco
    Options
    It took me a long time to fully come to terms with the fact that I have a binge eating problem. Once I admitted that to myself, I started going to overeater's anonymous. I didn't want to believe that I had lost control of my eating, but once I did and worked the program in OA, things have gotten a lot better! I have not binged on anything in almost 10 months (fad diets used to only get me through 4-5 months) and have lost over 70 pounds. Just a suggestion, but OA has helped me and a lot of others control binge eating. Good luck!
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    I overload myself with pictures of overly sweet food and overly fried foods (like here: http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/page/2), then look at pictures of salads or fruits and veggies. It actually helps a lot.

Great idea. Read somewhere that pictures are really supposed to help. Try getting a picture with a lot of sweet foods (look up binge on google images, and then write words in red on it like, no control, unhealthy, bad, or put words that the binge eating makes you feel, on it. Then get some pictures of healthy meals and put positive words by them, like healthy, good, and happy in green. It's supposed to help the brain to see pictures. I hope these help.

I love the OA idea too. Any positive help is good.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options

Wow, unfortunately that blog just makes me want to eat!!!
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    love the site about why you are fat, so glad you shared that so I can stop binging at night too. I recently heard an online CME from a Cardiologist he says that heart disease should be classified as a food borne illness since he says that angina can be improved with eating a plant based diet. Eliminate animal fats from the diet and you will change health, loose weight, and improve your cardiovascular health. Lots of studies have shown this to be true...
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to have that issue too. For me, though, it was because I worked in a mall and everything terrible you should never eat was right there. I was just too lazy to eat healthy. I don't binge on healthy foods because they fill me pretty quickly, especially salads.. But McDonalds and french fries and cheese steaks.. I could sit and eat as many of them as possible and I'd still be hungry. That's how it works with fast food I guess, but the same with sugars. I couldn't just eat one bite of a brownie, or one serving of anything. The way I stopped my binging was taking whatever I was going to eat, and immediately cutting it in half. Which means, if you order chicken parm at Olive Garden.. ask for that box as soon as it gets to you. Put half in the box and put it away. It also tells your brain that's off limits. Once I could control myself a little better, when I did have those sweets or fast foods, I only needed a little bit to taste and I was full filled. MFP also helps me because I know how many calories I am allowed to have, so if I want that cookie I have to tell myself "is that really worth me having to stay an extra 20 or so minutes at the gym"... It's usually a yes, lol, but still you get my point. It's all about changing the way your mind thinks, and what you "think" your body wants. When you are not eating enough calories, as well, I tend to crave fatty, bad foods... but as soon as I eat my healthy alternative, I stop thinking about the sweet or bad thing I shouldn't be eating. If it's something I REALLY want.. I just go ahead and freakin' eat it. Try practicing. Taking a bite, setting it down for 2 or 3 minutes, take another bite, repeat... Anyway- hope this rant-ish thing I wrote was helpful. :)
  • hna84
    hna84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I want to say that I'm completely free from binge eating but I'm cautious about being overly confident with this issue. Binge eating is a very lonely life. I have dealt with this problem for such a long time and it sucks all the joy out of life :(

I will say that I've been doing very well with my eating habits lately and I finally feel like I'm on the road to recovery.

I think what is helping me to overcome it is to focus on the fact that food is just food. Nothing more. I got sick of treating my body like a garbage disposal. I deserve to eat well and I want to savor my food not eat it so fast I miss out on the pleasure of eating. If I'm hungry later I can always eat again but while I eat I am going to enjoy it slowly :smile:

Also, maybe finding something new to do or to invest your time/energy in will help you. Running has made me feel so happy, positive and energetic again. (I'm sure the endorphins don't hurt either :wink: ) Food is just not as exciting to me anymore. Maybe something new could help you too?

I hope this helps <3
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I will try them all. I will try something new maybe I should start reading again and drink more water. And that picture thing I like! And putting bad words on the fried foods and stuff and write good things on the good foods.