Losing weight to join the military

Options
Hey all,

I have been on MFP for about 2 months now trying to get to my pre college weight so I can join the military. Out of everything I have done through college to lose weight, this has been the most successful I have been. I am almost at my precollege weight and am only 50 pounds away from my dream of the military coming true. If you would like to hear more, I write a blog about once a week talking about the exercises I am doing, what I am going through, and the funny situations I seem to get myself into.

http://itsthebeckyshow.blogspot.com/

I hope to hear feedback and support! Thanks!!

Becky

Replies

• cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I recently went through MEPs to join the military. Make sure you are in PERFECT health condition. I was disqualified for a heart murmur that I never knew I had, nor does it affect my heart in a negative way (I have 2 different doctors telling me this)

I did the exact same thing you're doing right now, and I was really very disappointed. My dreams were really crushed and I was heart broken. Do not hype this up in your head before you go through the process and are approved to join. Seriously, that is one suggestion i can give you.

If you make it, and you can enter the military then I am very proud of you, but please make sure you're OK. They will find anything to disqualify you, especially as a female. Just my opinion and words of advise. Message me if you have any questions.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I see you live in Clarksville, my husband was stationed at Ft. Campbell when he was in the Army. I haven't been there in a few years, but I used to practically live there!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm currently gaining strength so that I can pass the tests (pushups are my only problem). Technically I'm over weight as well, but getting down to where I'm supposed to be isn't going to happen. I'm looking to join the national guard to pay off a lot of my college debt.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yay, love this post! I am in the Air Force!

Good for you for working towards your goals! What branch are you wanting to join? Keep working hard. This job is worth it, I promise. Its incredibly rewarding, and will feel even better when you can pass that PFA no problem. Keep up the good work!

If I can help answer any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options

If you make it, and you can enter the military then I am very proud of you, but please make sure you're OK. They will find anything to disqualify you, especially as a female. Just my opinion and words of advise. Message me if you have any questions.

I don't agree with you about the "female" disqualification thing. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. And its true, MEPS is tough. There is a LOT that can get you medically disqualified. But your gender doesn't have anything to do with it.
  • angeleyes192
    angeleyes192 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, I am a military officer (NAVY) and it is tough, even when you are in the military to keep the weight off but you can do anything you put your mind to...be all that you can be have fun and good luck again.
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options
    Good for you, keep it up. Many years ago I was in your shoes, soaking in epsom salt to shrink up, running daily, hourly, hitting the weights...Dieting, all the effort paid off, I had great recruiters and a wonderful support team behind me.

The Navy is no longer just be fit and your in, if you do not excel in all you do for the Navy, you will be out before you know it and probably not by choice...

Keep that in mind...I am glad to see you have a goal and keep with it, it paid off for me and I enjoyed every minute in the Navy and I now enjoy the Navy from the spouse side, also equally as great, just feels a little more sacraficial!!!!!

Good luck, I will keep encouraging you and you keep us updated!!!!!!
    Go Navy!!!
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options

I don't agree with you about the "female" disqualification thing. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. And its true, MEPS is tough. There is a LOT that can get you medically disqualified. But your gender doesn't have anything to do with it.

Here, here, I met some of the most influential women in the Military personally and professionally, sexual gender has nothing to do with who is in or out, believe that!!! Gals on subs!!! AWESOME!!!