Muscle loss to fat loss ratio

Hi all, just would like some advice please I've been trying to lose weight for around three months now, trying not to lose too much muscle just mainly fat, i've tried to keep as heavyweight as possible at the gym and weight train three times a week and do one cardio interval training once a week with an old game of five aside football about twice a month i've managed to lose around 12 lbs altogether but about 2 pounds of that I believe is muscle Loss, is this is about right or should I be losing less muscle than this? My protein intake is around 1 g of protein per pound of body weight, thanks for any advice and tips you can give me ..Chris

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What information have you used to determine that you've lost 2 pounds of muscle? Remember, in addition to fat and possibly muscle, you will also lose water weight during that time which may be qualified as lean mass but is not muscle.
  • chriscarter2506
    chriscarter2506 Posts: 10 Member
    The only thing I have to go on is the in body analysis thingy in the gym... and that is what it said?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Not seeing a reason you should be losing any muscle at all as you seem to be doing all the right things as regards speed of weight loss, high protein and weight training.

Carry on and perhaps add tape measurements and progress photos to your progress metrics?
  • chriscarter2506
    Thanks, it's good to hear I'm at least doing the right things, I'm now at 14.9 percent body fat at aged 51, and also was wondering what percentage to try to get down to before upping my calories to just over maintenance to try and build some muscle back?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The only thing I have to go on is the in body analysis thingy in the gym... and that is what it said?

That type of thingy can be dreadfully inaccurate, particularly if it's hands only or feet only.
    Requires very consistent conditions (particularly around hydration) and probably having four sensors to get a decent trend - even then with some weird and wonderful fluctuations.
    I use a commercial grade, 4 sensor model at my gym and even with using before exercise, same time of day I still get some strange results.
    Just treat it as interesting data but not data on which to declare success or failure.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @chriscarter2506, you may find my recent experience informative. I recently shared it here at MFP. I’m on my iPhone at home and don’t know how to post the link . It’s is the General Health Section and the topic title is “Protein consumption, Intermittent fasting and muscle/fat loss - my share” - I think that’s the correct title.
  • chriscarter2506
    Thanks I will look it up...👍
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    You always lose both lean mass and fat.
    At various ratios.
    Lean mass is not always muscle.

What are your goals?
    Why did you start all this/trying to lose weight?
    You didn't start in order to get to a certain body fat percentage, right?

You minimize lean mass loss by engaging in a relatively small deficit, prioritizing strength training, getting adequate protein, getting enough sleep and appropriate rest... that's all you can do and the more of these you do the better your results.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member

Virtually useless. Sorry.
  • chriscarter2506
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    At various ratios.

What are your goals?

You minimize lean mass loss by engaging in a relatively small deficit, prioritizing strength training, getting adequate protein, getting enough sleep and appropriate rest... that's all you can do and the more of these you do the better your results.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    At various ratios.

What are your goals?