Would anyone like to help me with a project for school?

Options
waluouija
waluouija Posts: 61 Member
I'm taking a class for grammar and usage, and for my final project, I have to collect responses people have to sentences with grammatical errors in them (and then analyze the data from the responses I collect). My professor is asking that I get at least 25 responses. I don't have a large pool of people to ask in real life because I'm a damn shut-in, but would anyone here be willing to fill this out for me?

Here's the survey; I expect it to take maybe 10-20 minutes to fill out, depending on how detailed you are with your responses.
Here's the URL if the hyperlink above didn't work:
https://forms.gle/HUihVNt11YUL11Km7

Also, don't worry if grammar isn't your thing!! I want a wide variety of proficiency levels.
Also also, the title of the survey is "American English grammar study," but if you aren't American and you still want to do the survey, it's totally fine.

Thank you!!

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Done! I also shared it on Facebook, I have a lot of grammar-nerd friends who would take it for fun. :)
  • waluouija
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Done! I also shared it on Facebook, I have a lot of grammar-nerd friends who would take it for fun. :)

Thank you so much for that!! I really appreciate it! <3
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did the survey in 7 minutes. I am in EU. There used to be a time people corrected any tiny mistake in wording, incorrect phrases, grammar, etc. I noticed in recent decades not so much anymore. And somehow little errors, wrong phrases, unusual spelling has become the new normal. I mention this because I notice the big difference.
  • waluouija
    Options
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    I did the survey in 7 minutes. I am in EU. There used to be a time people corrected any tiny mistake in wording, incorrect phrases, grammar, etc. I noticed in recent decades not so much anymore. And somehow little errors, wrong phrases, unusual spelling has become the new normal. I mention this because I notice the big difference.

Yes, that is interesting! I'd like to look into why that's been happening. My best guess is that technology is so much more accessible than it used to be, and of course being able to connect with others from anywhere in the world and share how we express ourselves allows a much further reach in changing our written language. There's almost some sort of unspoken code about grammatical rules that one follows depending on certain contexts, which I think is fascinating. Formal settings call for strictly adhered to grammatical and punctuation conventions, slightly more casual settings allow me to drop punctuation or capitalization, and when I'm completely comfortable with whoever I'm writing to, I drop all formal conventions and give myself the freedom to play with spelling and punctuation.

It's all just so interesting to me because there was a time when I prided myself on being so good with grammar and spelling, and I would make fun of people who made errors. But now I feel guilty for that past attitude--it was so elitist and unnecessary. I now hold the belief that, as long as what a person hopes to convey through text is getting across to the recipient clearly, why worry? Humans created this language, so humans can change it.

Sorry for the wall of text!! I just really love thinking about this sort of thing.
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Did it!!
  • waluouija
    Options
    Did it!!

Thank you so much!! <3