Protein supplements/Hitting protein numbers

Options
I'm struggling to get in enough protein. Looking for some protein supplement suggestions that actually taste good, and will be good for building muscle, as I'm about to start lifting.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How much do you think is "enough" protein. A lot of people overestimate their protein needs. You may not need as much as you think.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I was a vegetarian, recently turned pescatarian for the same reason - could noooot hit my protein requirements (and I'm not lifting!).

My breakfast every day is this shake I get from Aldi. I mix it with 1 cup of almond milk using my immersion blender - it's good! If I do it in a real blender and add in about 5 ice cubes, it hits a pretty perfect milkshake consistency, too. =) It's 30 grams of protein.

I eat fish for dinner about 3 times a week. Usually Pacific Whiting because it's the cheapest, but Aldi carries well-priced frozen salmon fillets, too. Fish delivers a lot of protein for not a lot of calories.

For the rest, I rely on legumes (chickpeas are a big one for me at the moment!), eggs, and quinoa. =)
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    According to both MFP and a few different online protein calculators I used, I should be getting in 167-171g per day.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    JaiNicole7 wrote: »
    According to both MFP and a few different online protein calculators I used, I should be getting in 167-171g per day.

And how much are you currently consuming?
  • MikePTY
    Options

That seems like too high. What is your total calorie goal? Current weight? Goal weight?
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,568 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I like the Vega products and will do a scoop with 20g mixed with almond milk for after workouts or for snacks to get my protein up there. I don't need as much as you do though.
  • JaiNicole7
    Options
    Calorie goal: 1400-1600
    CW: 180 lbs
    GW: 135 lbs

Right now I'm getting about 60-70g of protein per day. Sometimes more, but I never get even close to what these calculators, videos and articles I've run across.
  • MikePTY
    Options
    Calorie goal: 1400-1600
    CW: 180 lbs
    GW: 135 lbs

Right now I'm getting about 60-70g of protein per day. Sometimes more, but I never get even close to what these calculators, videos and articles I've run across.

.6 to .8 grams per pound of GOAL weight is what's commonly recommended around these parts. That means 80-110 grams a day. I don't know what places are telling you 160-170, but it's definitely not MFP at your calorie goal, MFP's default macros would recommend 70-90.

So while you could use a bit more protein, you don't need nearly as much as you think. I am a 5'11" 207 pound male trying to get down to 175, and I have a 2400 calorie a day goal. And even I don't have a goal of 160-170 grams of protein.
  • JaiNicole7
    Options
    I'm getting around 70g now, so 80-110 is much more doable. Thanks everyone. :)