Trying to change

Options
i just started MFP a couple days ago. I haven't stopped overeating yet but I am shocked to see my diary right in front of me like that. I didn't realize how bad it was. Everything needs to change and that's hard.

Replies

• CincyGirl21
    Options
    I'm with ya - i just started and yet I am already so disappointed in myself. It's hard to change your eating!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and don't beat yourself up. Just logging your food everyday will shock you into changing. It sure shook me up. Try to through some exercise in there (walking 30 minutes a day is a good way to start.)
    As my mother used to say, "Rome wasn't built in a day!"
    Good Luck!:smile:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I know, right?!?!? I didn't realize how bad I was. I haven't gotten into exercising yet, but I have made a big change in my eating habits in the last week. Mostly because now I have to admit to what I'm eating. lol You are not the only one. That is the great thing about being here.
  • calicrazie
    Options
    yes it is very tough but each little change helps
  • minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You've come to the right place! :)
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lol i started monday i think and i havent been under 1200 yet. getting better each day though , im sure i could eat more and consume less calories, just have to make better choices. although i didnt think my choices were bad until it showed me i was over :/. feel free to add me, i dont have many friends on here yet , can always do with more :)
  • mchrist
    mchrist Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step and joining MFP. Keeping an honest food diary is key to helping yourself begin to make changes in your eating habits. Don't give up! You are not the only member of the overeaters club... Just keep trying, take baby steps, and stay positive. there is lots of support here!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about this web site is it forces you to be aware of what you are eating. It forces you to be aware of your calorie intake.

Yes, it is hard. No matter how you cut it, not eating enough calories so that your body has to burn fat reserves means you are going to be hungry. If you are like me with 70 or more pounds to lose, you are looking at a year or more of suffering.

This is what it takes.

The good news is you can eat in such a way as to mitigate some of the hunger. Eat a diet low in carbohydrates and you will avoid spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels, which can trigger hunger. You will still be hungry all the time, but it won't be the devastating "eat anything" kind of hungry.

Most of the time. :)

Steve
  • zowgati
    zowgati Posts: 25
    Options
    I guess we can't get to where we wanna go if we don't know where we currently are! Great job in starting the journey. One step at a time will take you to your destination. I started my better life a few years ago now and have been at a healthy weight for about 3 years but this site is just helping me to reconnect with conscious and accountable eating.
  • bonitasprings
    bonitasprings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's nice to hear a reply. I easily eat well over 2000 calories a day. I'm supposed to eat 1,200. Eating at night is a comfort for me. Even if I'm not hungry I eat as a compulsive behavior. I suppose it's kind of an addiction. I know better but I can't stop myself. Maybe having diet buddies will help.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just keep coming back. Every day it gets easier and you'll find you make better, more informed and healthy choices. MFP is a wonderful site. I have met many supportive people in all stages of losing, from just beginning (like you) to having met their goals and have since switched to just maintaining and still logging.
    It takes a village. And MFP is a Village of Supportive, Positive people all sharing similar goals.
    Stick with it. You'll love it. I do. I have Fantastic MFP friends!
    Best of Luck to you.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Welcome to the site. It can be tough, but just take it one day at a time. Believe in yourself. You can do this!
  • bonitasprings
    bonitasprings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok so I should probably spend more time in the forum. I'm finding the replies very helpful. Thank you everybody! Tomorrows another day. I'll keep trying!!