Yoga for beginners?

Options
Hello all
I was initially going to wait before starting any time of exercise but i think i am ready to at least see what i can do now.

So i am wanting to try Yoga. Can anyone recommend Yoga for beginners? I am currently 379lbs. But i do not want that to stop me from doing it

Replies

• Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you i will look them up!
  • bross57
    bross57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you’re just beginning, you might be better off paying for a yoga class and attend a few sessions to learn what poses work best for you. Talk with the instructor about your personal needs. Later on, you can take what you’ve learned and do it from home.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    If you're looking for something to do at home, I like Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Also, I was really surprised at how beginner friendly a lot of classes are. My gym does a beginning foundation yoga once a month and a gentle yoga once a week. It's great for learning how to correctly hold a pose.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    bross57 wrote: »
    If you’re just beginning, you might be better off paying for a yoga class and attend a few sessions to learn what poses work best for you. Talk with the instructor about your personal needs. Later on, you can take what you’ve learned and do it from home.

I also recommend going to a class. A video is fine for experienced yogis, but there’s no substitute for a good teacher who can guide you through modifications that make poses more suitable for your body.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga app I used for a long time called GAIAM, you can pick your difficulty level, length of time you have, and even target specific areas for chronic pain.

I get super tight from sitting in an office all day so their 10 minute yoga for runners has been a live saver for me. Did it 5x/week for about three or four months and it improved my lower back pain, flexibility (i can touch my toes now!), and squat form.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    please go to at least a few beginner classes at your local studio or gym. poor alignment can lead to injury.

once you get the basics then i've heard good things about yoga with Adrienne. i went to youtube and searched yoga for larger bodies and came back with lots of positive results.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you again all for the replies and recommendations. I will also see if my local gym has any yoga classes. ( such a small town)
  • wagnerchristina99
    wagnerchristina99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Look for weight watchers yoga with Sara Ivanhoe. I bought the dvd from a local dollar general and it came in a box with a yoga strap and a yoga block. But I’m sure you can find it online too. She gives modified versions of poses and the workouts are gentle. I tried a more advanced yoga dvd by another instructor and I couldn’t keep up at all. She was too fast. Some forms of yoga are almost acrobatic. Sara is a really good instructor, in my opinion. You can find loads of her stuff online. Including “Yoga for Dummies.”
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Some t.v. channels might have yoga on early in the a.m.
  • cavefallss
    cavefallss Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know that there are some apps that show you step by step how to do. I used to use them when I first started out. You could also check out some things on youtube.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I second all the advice. A good teacher can't be substituted at the beginning and it needs to be one who answers your questions about poses and modifications.

As you gain some experience, there are a wide variety of free resources available.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    If you're looking for something to do at home, I like Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube.

I fourth(?) Adrianne, she's funny and easy to follow.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes to Yoga with Adrienne! Easy to follow and lots of instructions about how your alignment should FEEL. She focuses on alignment and really adheres to yoga being a PRACTICE. Love her.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bross57 wrote: »

Definitely! You can probably find some great deals on Groupon.

There are many subtle nuances to the poses you will likely not notice on your own (I didn’t) without the benefit of a qualified, live teacher helping you adjust. There are also many props and variations available so you can work at whatever level you’re at.