NSV: Thanks, Mulan, for Getting Me Through

Options
I just wanted to try to run through one song. That's it. I am by no means a runner. My knees and ankles are wobly, my lungs feel like they are going to burst, and I'm so clumsy all I can think about is tripping over my feet and flying off the treadmill.

But I had to try it. So I bumped the speed of the treadmill from 4.0 mph to 5.0 mph. Spice Girls "Spice Up Your Life" came on my iPod. And I did it. I ran through the entire song (although how can you not? It's such a catchy tune).

And then I had four minutes left of my work out. I had completed 1.76 miles. I wanted to see 2.0. "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan came on, and again I bumped it up to 5.0. My legs were wobbly, but I pushed through. Towards the end of the song (last 2 minutes) something in me took over, something I never felt before. I felt myself pushing the speed button higher and I'm then running at 5.5 mph. The voice of Shang/Donny Osmond pumping through my head, my lungs feel they are on the verge of bursting. I don't know if I can make it.

And then: 2.0 miles. There is still 30 seconds left of the song, and a 45 seconds left of my time. I did it, and with time to spare.

Even now, I can't believe I did it. I know to some 5.5 mph isn't very fast, but for me, this is a feat, and I am super proud of myself.

P.S. Yes, I have a very odd running playlist, but whatever gets you through the workout, right?

Replies

• awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! I am by no means a "runner". I just started doing the treadmill and I do the same thing. I think 5.5 is incredible, but nothing beats the feeling of pushing yourself beyond what you "think" you can do. A song is the best motivator, in my opinion. And I love that "runners high" when your endorphins kick in and you no longer feel like you might die...(as short as that may last, its a good feeling!)
    CONGRATULATIONS!
  • GiuliaShakespeare
    Options
    Oh my gosh, that's the best playlist I've ever heard of! Congrats to you on your awesome NSV!!!!

Girl, I see your Ravenclaw, acknowledge your Draco profile picture, and raise you a friend request.
  • tinkerbell9927
    Options
    Let's get down to business!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Does it make me odd to think you have a cool playlist? My son just graduated and he still has that Mulan song in chinese on his IPOD! Do what you gotta do to get through those runs!! I'm proud of you!!
    140150 Posts: 27
    Options
    i listen to that song too!! because really, who doesn't want to be as swift as the coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon? with all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon?!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    *runs to youtube to download mulan* I have to admit, I would giggle if this came up as I *tried* ran XD
  • J3nnaLyn
    J3nnaLyn Posts: 125
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's so awesome, good for you! I know the feeling and it's hard to beat!
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Let's get down to business!

TO DEFEAT THE HUNS! DID THEY SEND ME DAUGHTERS, WHEN I ASKED FOR SONS?

I love Mulan. Actually Disney movies in general. I listen to them a lot when I work out because I know the songs well enough to sing along in my head, even if I can't sing out loud.
  • Chuck417
    Chuck417 Posts: 36
    Options
    That's fantastic! Now you know you can do it! My daughter plays that song And the movie all the time. It makes me smile. Keep up the great work. You are worth it!
    Chuck
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    This is SO FANTASTIC!! I suck a running, always have. I can barely run a mile at the same 5.5 pace you describe. But it's such a fantastic way to burn calories and it can also be very peaceful. I like the time to myself when I do go running. Running can transform your body. You should be VERY proud of yourself. This is a wonderful NSV!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!