Benefits of Strength Exercise

Options
I'm female, 29, 5'7, 210lbs(down from 275lbs). At the end of January I started going to the gym exclusively to use the treadmill, while I can't do high impact stuff due to a foot injury years ago, I take advantage of the incline feature and get my heart up and a sweat going. I've really grown to enjoy my morning gym time, but was too self conscious to attempt the weight machines, so I tried to add in body weight exercise at home and I hate it... Lol (I'm not opposed to attempting the machines I just need a better understanding of them to make sure I'm using the right ones and correctly)

So I'm just wondering what are the benefits of strength training? Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively weak females to start with (I can't do a real push up) that they've found tolerable or hopefully enjoyable?

I'm mostly interested in the benefits to try and convince myself to just accept it as a necessary for my overall health. I'm not super concerned about having a sexy body - I've already got to much skin and stretch marks for that - I just want to do what's best for my health in a sustainable way.

Just as a side note when I first started the body weight training I felt the soreness the following day but after a week I was no longer getting that soreness. Was I not working hard enough, or is that normal? I shot for the body weight training every other day, but often had more time between because, again, I hated it lol. I haven't been doing anything for about two weeks now.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Benefits - prevention of osteoporesis (sp?), helps with other aging issues such as falls, muscles are sexy, etc.

As for the soreness, it isn't normal to get sore after a workout that your body is used to. Take some time off, or switch workouts, and you'll get sore again. It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the workout you did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    avlucia wrote: »
    I'm female, 29, 5'7, 210lbs(down from 275lbs). At the end of January I started going to the gym exclusively to use the treadmill, while I can't do high impact stuff due to a foot injury years ago, I take advantage of the incline feature and get my heart up and a sweat going. I've really grown to enjoy my morning gym time, but was too self conscious to attempt the weight machines, so I tried to add in body weight exercise at home and I hate it... Lol (I'm not opposed to attempting the machines I just need a better understanding of them to make sure I'm using the right ones and correctly)

So I'm just wondering what are the benefits of strength training? Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively weak females to start with (I can't do a real push up) that they've found tolerable or hopefully enjoyable?

I'm mostly interested in the benefits to try and convince myself to just accept it as a necessary for my overall health. I'm not super concerned about having a sexy body - I've already got to much skin and stretch marks for that - I just want to do what's best for my health in a sustainable way.

Just as a side note when I first started the body weight training I felt the soreness the following day but after a week I was no longer getting that soreness. Was I not working hard enough, or is that normal? I shot for the body weight training every other day, but often had more time between because, again, I hated it lol. I haven't been doing anything for about two weeks now.

Soreness (DOMs) is typically only experienced for a short time when muscles that haven't previously been used start getting used. DOMs is not indicative of whether or not you had a good workout...DOMs is indicative of non use starting to be used.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/add-strength-training-to-your-workout.aspx

https://www.openfit.com/10-reasons-women-need-lift-weights
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I loathe bodyweight exercises but I love lifting. In addition to being stronger (which is pretty awesome), and looking leaner, i have better balance and coordination. As well as risk reduction for osteoporosis, which is one key reason I started lifting. I don’t even lift “heavy”...yet. I started slowly, am lifting the appropriate weight for me and am adding small amounts of weight each time. It’s definitely working.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Strength training is hugely beneficial. It burns calories, and helps you maintain muscle mass during your weight loss, so you lose more fat and less muscle. And it's associated with a whole bunch of improved long term health markers. It's one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself.
  • chelseayadron
    chelseayadron Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing kettlebell workouts since my baby was born last year and have dropped over 60lbs-I’m back to my weight I was when I got married. I MAY do a thirty minute cardio workout once or twice a week. There’s a very visible difference in the way my body looks compared to just dieting alone or only dieting and cardio like I’ve done in the past.

But that’s just my experience, I highly recommend strength training/HIIT/Tabata.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

One benefit that's rarely mentioned is that strength training can make you mentally tougher, with stronger willpower, because you push yourself in ways you normally don't. You'll also feel more capable to handle physical tasks in your daily life, which is an empowering feeling. I recommend accepting that strength training is difficult and not always enjoyable, at least initially. Just stay on a schedule, put on some music, and get it done. :+1:

This is super inspiring for me, thanks!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My feet are a disaster (surgery, frostbite...mangled toes, etc). Lifting doesn't cause the chronic pain that running causes. So that's a huge benefit for me.

Also...lifting is awesome and makes me more awesome.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I began strength training day one nearly 5 years ago and continued while losing 150 and 2.5 years into maintenance. It helped improve my functionality so I could do more things in real life and helped me look better when I got to goal.

I suggest you ask a staff member to go through the machines with you. They should help you get correct settings and weight for each machine. The room will have more machines than you need because there will be several variations for each body area. Basically you want machines for chest, shoulders,back, abs, and 2-3 for legs (glutes, hamstrings quads). Biceps & triceps are optional IMO when beginning. 2-3 sets x 10-15 reps each. You start as light as necessary and keep increase weights and/or reps as you are able. If the next weight level is too heavy for you, add 3-5 reps at your current level for 2-3 weeks, then you can probably move up. There are lots of nuances to these suggestions, but it is a good basic starting point. You can fine tune as you go.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There was recently one of those surveys of people and their health and it purported to show that running made you healthier than you would be without it. But lifting made people live longer. Running did not do that.
    I kinda think that's an inspiration to lift.