Tender Feet?

Options
I started working out again a lot. Burning between 1000 - 1500 calories a day on my elliptical machine. I feel fine my mucsles are a little tender in the morning and work their way out to great, as i go along. Even my knee injury doesn't hurt. What does hurt is my tender feet. I am using running shoes while working out. Should I be using something else?

I want to make a point, this is not some weird pain in any place, it's not strain pain, or any kind of medical thing. It's just sore bottom of feet from not being used for awhile. I tried google but all it keeps sending me to is medical problems, not just tender from working out pain.

Is there anything I can put into my shoes to make the footfall softer? Are the feet going to toughen up after a few and stop being so tender? How long will it take my feet to get used to the new routine? Any tips for when I rest them? Any way to toughen them up faster? I feel like such a newb for asking such a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyways.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Maybe back off the amount you are doing and build up duration slowly. 1000-1500 seems like a lot of calories, ellipticals are notorious for giving you inflated calorie burns. with running you are only supposed to add 10% per week, so maybe the same with other forms of exercise, so dial it back, then build up slowly

Not sure how long you are on it, or what you weigh, but a good rule of thumb for a hard workout is 8-12 cals/minute for a fairly intense workout.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you are sure you don't have some discreet injury, then I might suggest you simply back off a bit for a while.
    As you know, we all go through a bit of pain and discomfort when we start a rigorous exercise program because our bodies are not used to the stress.
    Shin splints.
    Blisters.
    Soreness.
    But the body adjusts. You just have to give it a little time.
    That said, these things don't get better -- at least not as fast -- unless you let up a bit on the continual insults.
    Good luck.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There exist gel pads insoles. Both full length foot, or just heel or front foot piece. Insoles are also in other materials but gel is soft. Maybe your sports shoes have lost the resilience? the cushion effect it happens with usage.
    Maybe a different new sports shoe with more padding search for that online.
    Tender feet like when on holiday/vacation you walk too long. Footbaths help.
  • RabbidBunnies
    RabbidBunnies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    There exist gel pads insoles. Both full length foot, or just heel or front foot piece. Insoles are also in other materials but gel is soft. Maybe your sports shoes have lost the resilience? the cushion effect it happens with usage.

Thanks! I tried some gel inserts (stole them from an old pair of shoes) today and burned 1000 on the eliptical today. The feet only strated to get really sore on the last 100, I am defintely going to be buying some more of these! (and, yes, it's like the all day at the zoo, or walking tour on vacation tender)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How long are you spending on the elliptical to burn 1000-1500 calories per day? I would need to ride in the neighborhood of 50 miles on my road bike at a pretty good clip to burn 1500 calories or thereabouts. That would take me 3-4 hours depending on terrain. No way in hell I'm doing a half century everyday.

In regards to your feet, they probably hurt because you went from zero to getting on the elliptical everyday...and if your calorie burns are accurate, spending hours on the thing.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything. When I started running my feet would feel very tender, but over time I built up the callouses I needed to make running comfortable.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,804 Member
    Options
    Sketchers, New Balance and some other shoe brands sell shoes with memory foam. I have nice walking shoes but sometimes the memory foam shoes are a bit of aaaaaaaah so I swap them out every few days for walks.
  • Lillylith
    Lillylith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had pain developing in my feet at one point. I tried orthotics and it helped, but it didn't eliminate my issue. My friend, a doctor of nutritional science, suggested that I may have a B12 deficiency. I used sublingual B12 every day (5 mg) and the pain in my feet slowly disappeared. It was the only thing that helped me. It is something to consider.
  • RabbidBunnies
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I wouldn't change anything. When I started running my feet would feel very tender, but over time I built up the callouses I needed to make running comfortable.

Thanks! I thought I might just need to toughen my feet up a bit. I spend quite a few hours on it while watching Netflix and stuff. I'm not used to being on my feet much, I'm sure it's something I will get used to soon enough!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How long are you spending on the elliptical to burn 1000-1500 calories per day? I would need to ride in the neighborhood of 50 miles on my road bike at a pretty good clip to burn 1500 calories or thereabouts. That would take me 3-4 hours depending on terrain. No way in hell I'm doing a half century everyday.

In regards to your feet, they probably hurt because you went from zero to getting on the elliptical everyday...and if your calorie burns are accurate, spending hours on the thing.

Runner not cyclist but I'd have to run for around 2.5-3 hrs with a lot of hills to burn 1500 Calories. That's more than a half marathon.
    On the rare occasion that I use the elliptical to warm up the machine might say I burnt 50Cal in 5mins but my Garmin says its nearer 25.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Nerys52 wrote: »

Thanks! I tried some gel inserts (stole them from an old pair of shoes) today and burned 1000 on the eliptical today. The feet only strated to get really sore on the last 100, I am defintely going to be buying some more of these! (and, yes, it's like the all day at the zoo, or walking tour on vacation tender)

A foot cream containing mint can bring relief to tired feet. Vicks Vaporub salve also works for pain in feet.

• RabbidBunnies
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

Runner not cyclist but I'd have to run for around 2.5-3 hrs with a lot of hills to burn 1500 Calories. That's more than a half marathon.
    On the rare occasion that I use the elliptical to warm up the machine might say I burnt 50Cal in 5mins but my Garmin says its nearer 25.

I am not going by what the thing on here says, the burn amount is much to high. It adds up to like 3000 burned, which is ridiculous, no way I am burning that much.

It takes me about 2+ hours get to 1000 burned and 3+ hours to get to 1500, I am spending a lot of time on it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure you want tough feet. What about just some nice soft padded socks?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try Thorlo socks and use gold bond cream to massage your feet post workout.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I am not going by what the thing on here says, the burn amount is much to high. It adds up to like 3000 burned, which is ridiculous, no way I am burning that much.

It takes me about 2+ hours get to 1000 burned and 3+ hours to get to 1500, I am spending a lot of time on it.

Well that may be why your feet hurt, that's a hell of a long time to spend on an elliptical. I've been running long distances for a couple years now and my feet still burn after a really long run, going from nothing to 2-3hrs is going to cause pain, your body is just not used to it. Taking running as an example, we're advised not to increase our weekly mileage (or longest run) by more than 10% a week to prevent injury. So maybe cut back to 30-60min a day, unless you are training for an endurance event 2-3hours is excessive, and even marathon training if I can't get out to run my PT only allows me to do 2hours steady state and that's split over 3 different pieces of equipment (30min treadmill/30min elliptical/30min rower/30min treadmill).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Another thought, Rest Days. These give the body time to recalibrate. I'm not expert others are.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My 11-year-old son is working on his Tenderfoot rank. :wink:
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

How do you have the time to spend 2-3 hrs a day on one exercise machine??!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

How much are you eating calorie wise? That's a ridiculous amount of cardio outside of actually training for something and if you're crashing your diet and doing this, you're going to be in for some bad times in the not too distant future.

You don't have to kill yourself to lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Wow.. figur3d you were doing too much. Maybe cut back to 30 mins a day and increase intensity and slowly add time. 30 mins this week, 35 next, 40 after.... oncebyiu get to an hour, try increasing intesnity as opposed to time