Why Is My Body Getting Weaker and Failing Me???

Options
13

Replies

  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the obvious of consuming some carbs when you start to feel unwell? “Getting more protein” is not going to bring your blood sugar back up. Drink half a Coke or eat a jelly or something else to give yourself about 24g very quick sugary carbs, sit down, and see if you feel better within 15 minutes. If not then it’s probably not blood sugar.

    Thank you for the tip. I think I do aim more at protein! One night I woke up feeling very chilled, achy, headache, dizzy...etc. Without realizing I needed sugar, I drank half a regular mountain dew and felt much better. I"m just so programmed to not eat or drink that kind of carb/sugar. It's crazy. All I want to do is lose weight and this is all beyond the norm for me...
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Woozy during lifting or woozy during the cardio part? How long does the cardio last, HIIT style? Are you on any medications?
    IMO your calories are fine. No reason you should not be able to lift heavy for an hour then do 15-25 min HIIT afterwards without feeling ill.

    Woozy during lifting. It's like, it takes everything out of me the way we are doing it in class.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating BEFORE you workout? I can't get through an hour (sometimes 2) without carbs before (and often during longer lifting session).

    1900-2200 calories isn't a huge amount in my opinion (I'm 5'3 135-140 and eat between 1900-2400 daily). You might try bumping up calories by 100 for a week or so to see if you feel better and can maintain weight.

    I generally need 8-9 hours of sleep (7 is a bare minimum for me). How is the QUALITY of your sleep?

    Is your vitamin D level in a normal range? I was VERY low and felt like general crap until I was able to maintain in the 50+ range.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Have you tried the obvious of consuming some carbs when you start to feel unwell? “Getting more protein” is not going to bring your blood sugar back up. Drink half a Coke or eat a jelly or something else to give yourself about 24g very quick sugary carbs, sit down, and see if you feel better within 15 minutes. If not then it’s probably not blood sugar.

    Thank you for the tip. I think I do aim more at protein! One night I woke up feeling very chilled, achy, headache, dizzy...etc. Without realizing I needed sugar, I drank half a regular mountain dew and felt much better. I"m just so programmed to not eat or drink that kind of carb/sugar. It's crazy. All I want to do is lose weight and this is all beyond the norm for me...

    There are no good or bad foods, only the foods which are right for your needs at any given moment. I’m a diabetic, which means I need to limit carbs because my body doesn’t metabolise them well, and even I need sugary carbs during a long run!

    In general eating protein, fat and fiber with carbs slows down the digestion of carbs, which is a good idea to try before a workout, and a bad idea when you have low blood sugar and want to bring it up quickly. Try having something light on your stomach with some fiber before working out, maybe an energy bar or an orange. If you generally get woozy about the same time during a workout, eat a jelly candy or something about ten to fifteen minutes before that time, and again about every half hour to 45 minutes. Then have some protein and carbs mixed afterwards for recovery - I like yogurt with fruit, but chocolate milk or a smoothie is also easy. As far as losing weight is concerned, straight sugar doesn’t have that many calories - you can power through a 600 calorie workout on 50 calories worth of Clif Bloks.

    If the issue is blood sugar, most likely with time your body will get better at how it stores and metabolizes glucose. I used to need to eat something before a half hour run, and after a year of running I’m good for over an hour.
  • amiller92873
    amiller92873 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Woozy during lifting or woozy during the cardio part? How long does the cardio last, HIIT style? Are you on any medications?
    IMO your calories are fine. No reason you should not be able to lift heavy for an hour then do 15-25 min HIIT afterwards without feeling ill.

    Woozy during lifting. It's like, it takes everything out of me the way we are doing it in class.

    Make sure you drink plenty of water all day. Curious to see how much you actually drink. 1 gallon would be approx need with your level of activity. Salt your food, salt is your friend. Do u take any pre-workout drinks/powders? Those make me feel like awful, I cant use any of them. Any processed man-made foods/drinks or do you eat clean? Diet pills? Also this may sound dumb but are you breathing when you lift? Or do you hold your breath? All things to consider. You may need to try your own lifting program at your own pace. You can get strong without a trainer!! In fact most the trainers I see don't know what they are doing!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    What do you eat right before your workout (within half an hour of starting exercise)? Before I run, I eat an ounce of lox, and drink a glass of V8 to get protein / sodium / carbs. I find this helps me have sufficient energy for my exercise; I also have high arches so the sodium intake helps me not get cramps in my feet.

    I try not to eat anything within an hour of these workouts because they are so strenuous. <b>I don't want to puke!<\b> I don't really monitor this much...I eat whatever is around when I get home from work and then my workout is at 6pm.

    I'm trying to bold the part about not wanting to puke. That sounds like really intense cardio.

    That 3x /week, along with lifting and lots of other movement throughout your week is a lot. I'm no expert, but your symptoms sound like over-training. I wouldn't cut the lifting, but could you cut back one day of the cardio and see how you feel? And +1 on taking a full rest day.
  • Hulkfan1
    Hulkfan1 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    thanos5 wrote: »
    sometimes low iron levels can cause fatigue. i don't believe they check those numbers unless they run a cbc on you.

    I actually did havea CBC ran! All normal!

    'Normal' for GP's, get yourself a fingerprick test from Blue Horizon. I've just found out that I'm hypothyroid with low ferritin.
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

    Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

    I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

    Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

    I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

    Kep in mind a deficit is all is needed for losing weight, exercise for fitness... so if your goal its just to lose weight, this type of workout may not be best for you to acheive your goals
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

    Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

    I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

    You shouldn’t need to eat like a pig to get through workouts. Make sure you’re getting enough carbs, it sounds like you may have been dipping into ketosis and feeling the keto flu, and then eat back your exercise calories, leaving your deficit. Exercise is not supposed to be a way to increase your deficit!
  • traviswhall67
    traviswhall67 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hello!

    Sounds frustrating, sorry. I would not give up just yet on your sessions. My guess (purely a guess) is that it is not just one thing. However, when I did triathlons I had to really focus on my training zones because too much anaerobic exercise too often will seriously deplete your glycogen stores, inhibit proper recovery and overtime it affects performance. It sounds like this may be a possibility based upon the description of your training program and your experience. If you are breathing so heavy that you cannot have a conversation, you are likely anaerobic.

    To add to this, you say that you are woozy most while lifting. So, if you are over your anaerobic threshold during cardio then move into a lifting weight set, you may be adding to the problem by having poor breath control while lifting. Meaning, straining under the lift, you may be breathing shallow or even holding your breath and this will deprive your body the oxygen levels its needs when anaerobic. Thus, making you dizzy or light headed.

    To eliminate this possibility, figure out your resting heart rate and use an online calculator to figure out your max heart rate. There are a lot of quality online tools to then calculate your aerobic training zone (which is where you want to be and is most efficient at weight loss) and calculate your anaerobic zone (which has its place on occasion). Remember these are estimates so also read about the signs of when your body is aerobic vs anaerobic. The ability, or not, to speak in sentences is a sign.

    Then I would recommend you train a few times with a heart rate monitor. It is not comfortable but you can then see where your heart rate is at different portions of the workout.

    Monitor your breathing and be mindful about deep breaths, not short shallow ones, especially when lifting. If you find you hold your breath when lifting, focus on inhale during the eccentric (down motion) and exhale on the concentric (contracting) phase.

    Lastly, when you are training at or near your anaerobic phase, you need to refuel as soon as possible afterwards to help muscle recovery and restoration of glycogen stores, best within 30 minutes. I am not a scientist but I think most supplements are a waste of money, but I personally have found helpful with managing muscle fatigue post workout supplements that have branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) and creatine. For glycogen, a small bag of gummy bears is all that is needed.

    TWH
  • carsforsalebklyn
    carsforsalebklyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have off days once in a while as I have as well. A few things that made a big difference as far as not adding to those low energy days are by making sure on days that have a gym day planned I make sure I drank enough water throughout the day an well hydrated. Don’t mean down a gallon of water right before your about to go in, I would normally start as early as I can and get enough water throughout that day. Another thing that helps a lot is eating before. Not sure what time you go but I like to go later on the afternoon or early evening. I feel that I have a lot better of a workout if I have eaten at least two meals prior. Instead of having breakfast and going right after I’d rather wait a few hours and eat at least one more time before I train. And the last most important one for me is make sure I eat 1hr or 1 1/2 hr before I go to the gym and have enough energy for the workout. I aim to get about 50 grams of carbs and 20-30 grams of protein. By keeping this routine at least I know that even if I have an off day it’s just that and not because of something I could have controlled beforehand like making sure to have the energy by body is going to need for the workout and not run out gas early. Try doing the same on the days your planning to workout hopefully will help you like it has for me on not having so many low energy during your workouts.
    ps: I do also eat another meal with the same carb and protein amounts about 1 hr after my workout is done which would help with healing faster and be less sore the next day. Which would also help in your situation
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could be developing a sleep issue, like apnea or even teeth grinding that is causing less optimal sleep? Do you snore, sleep on your back or stomach, or wake up with headaches or more tired than you used to?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

    Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

    I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

    I guess my question would be, why are you still doing the workouts? Is it the money spent? You don't need to do some insane workout that is clearly over-stressing your body. The best thing for your health might be to tell your trainer he's causing you stress and damage and you're done. Then just do something active and fun instead.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you tell them the workouts make you super unwell they'll hopefully let you out of the contract. It wouldn't be super good press for them if they didn't.
  • anonymouse37
    anonymouse37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here are a few more ideas you could consider.

    You might try using a running gel right before the workout. This could give you an indication if its related to nutrition. Most people digest them pretty easily during a workout. If you eat it right before you begin the workout, shouldn't cause a big spike in blood sugar. (If you are not familiar with these, look at the "nutrition" section of your favorite online sports shop. Running Warehouse is the one I use.)

    Could you be overtrained? I don't know much about it, but might be worth looking into.

    Are you holding your breath when you lift? This will raise your blood pressure. https://www.livestrong.com/article/94350-importance-breathing-lifting-weights/.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Whenever I had symptoms like that, it was one of three things:

    1: Undereating to support the exercise level (or too high a deficit)

    2: Not having sufficient electrolytes/sodium in my diet

    3: Not having any carbs before session
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "hypersets" and what kind of rest periods is he incorporating into your heavy lifting? Typically when the intensity (weight on the bar = intensity) is highest longer rests are mandated between sets. I know a lot of personal trainers who are time crunched (1 hour is a pretty short workout for a strength based lifting routine especially if part of that hour is cardio) and they try to do too much. They shorten or even eliminate rest periods, incorporate super sets/giants/compounds when they aren't needed and push too much into this condensed time period. I see this at my gym and I've experienced it myself. This on top of maybe not getting enough calories to fuel this type of training and too short of a recovery period for the amount of work being done could definitely lead to exhaustion and possibly symptoms of overtraining... also, are you doing an actual routine? I've seen a lot of trainers constantly change the exercises every session. This leads to a lot of DOMs and the illusion that progress is being made. They don't track weight on the bar and they don't track progression - just change everything every time. Clients feel the DOMs and think - must have been a great workout!

    I meant "supersets"....haha.

    I think you are correct. We do not get a whole lot of rest as we do back to back exercises. Then we get a rest when we are being shown the next set of exercises. We do NOT do a routine. It is different each time I go. It is similar exercises but the whole workout will be mixed up.

    Now I"m feeling worried about this....I'm paying a LOT of money for these workouts. I am starting to feel like I would be better off with a basic membership and do my own workouts. Except...I signed a year contract :(

    You can get out of contracts. Have your doctor write you a note saying that you are unable to continue for medical reasons.

    I've had doctors write me notes for various reasons and every time it worked.
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

    Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

    I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

    I guess my question would be, why are you still doing the workouts? Is it the money spent? You don't need to do some insane workout that is clearly over-stressing your body. The best thing for your health might be to tell your trainer he's causing you stress and damage and you're done. Then just do something active and fun instead.

    I don't just pay for the trainer. It's the gym membership that includes the trainer classes. I pay more for that and yes, that's why I'm still doing them. That and this just really started being an issue, so I'm trying to see if I can work past it before calling it quits. I'm not sure I can get out of that level membership by saying the workouts are "hard" and giving me issues. But I'm going tonight, and if it's still an issue I will probably stop.