I ran today!

ccano
ccano Posts: 149 Member
Running and me haven't mixed well in the past, and yesterday while I was on the phone with my husband he kept insisting that the best way to lose belly/thigh fat is to run. I very reluctantly got onto a treadmill today and miraculously ran for 10 minutes fairly easily. I know that's not a long time, but...it is for me. In the past I have gotten out of breath and experienced cramps after only 2 or 3 minutes of *trying* to run.

I was pleasantly surprised at myself! I couldn't believe it. I'm going to gradually up my time on the treadmill every time I go to the gym until I can do the basic running requirements of the Marine Corps so I can show off to my hubby when he's home. He is a great runner...he makes it look effortless and has a really great score on his PFT, partially due to his running (he can almost get an 18 minute mile, I believe).

So...YAY!!!

Replies

• ccano
    Running and me haven't mixed well in the past, and yesterday while I was on the phone with my husband he kept insisting that the best way to lose belly/thigh fat is to run. I very reluctantly got onto a treadmill today and miraculously ran for 10 minutes fairly easily. I know that's not a long time, but...it is for me. In the past I have gotten out of breath and experienced cramps after only 2 or 3 minutes of *trying* to run.

I was pleasantly surprised at myself! I couldn't believe it. I'm going to gradually up my time on the treadmill every time I go to the gym until I can do the basic running requirements of the Marine Corps so I can show off to my hubby when he's home. He is a great runner...he makes it look effortless and has a really great score on his PFT, partially due to his running (he can almost get an 18 minute mile, I believe).

So...YAY!!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Great job!! :flowerforyou:

Running is a wonderful sport as you can improve every time you run. Before you know it, you'll be running 5 miles! :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Way to go!!:flowerforyou: Don't worry about how fast you're running, work on increasing your time. I'm also new to running, having failed to keep with it in the past. So I stopped worrying about how fast I was running- I had heard this was the key from several sources- and now I'm running about 10-12 miles a week! My short runs are 2 miles, my long runs are 4-5 miles. Can't say I really LIKE it, but I really see a difference in my legs!!! Runners really do have the best legs!:bigsmile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Good for you!

According to my trainer, the only way to burn belly fat really is to increase muscle... I've lost everywhere BUT the belly, and that's the worst spot! I've even lost weight on my FEET and TOES - but not my dang belly!
  • run run like the wind
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Yeah! I've found that the first 10-20 minutes is the worst on a treadmill. Once I get used to it, I can easily do 3-4 miles (then the mind games come into play and I push for more just to say that i've done it)
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    run run like the wind

bulls eye (sorry - toy story reference!:laugh: )
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    that's great, keep up the great work.
  • ccano
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get rid of this belly flab. :grumble:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    I'm working my way up the treadmill too! I did 25 yesterday. It's funny...I can blast away for 50 minutes on an elliptical, but a treadmill reduces me to the form of a dying walrus.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!