Ideal weight/BMI/Body Frane

Options
I have lost 71 pounds so far. Started at 254 pounds in Dec 2010 and now am at 183 pounds.

My family/friends keep telling me that I shouldn't lose anymore weight or I will look bad/sickly older. I just turned 50 last year.

I asked my doctor about it and she said that I should go by BMI and that would mean that I should weight 155 pounds (I would need to lose 30 more pounds). Apparently body frame doesn't matter anymore.

I think that I could definitely lose 10 more pounds but I don't know about 30 more. Uncertain what to do and was wondering if others go strickly by BMI when deciding how much to lose.

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to stay in the BMI healthy range and I lost 50 pounds and I feel great. My health went from poor to excellent. Listen to your doctor and not other people.

• Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    My family did the same thing to me. "Stop losing weight, you're arms are so skinny blah blah" And I was still 'overweight' by BMI. I would maybe recommend talking to a doctor who specializes in diet/nutrition that sort of thing. My ob/gyn has been super helpful. And assured me that I was right with my goal range. I'm 5'6 and goal is 140ish. Give or take a handful of pound depending on lady business. I started at 184 and my rheumathologist tried to put me on a diet.
  • McSnoozle
    McSnoozle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and imagine if I were to get to the lower side of suggested BMI/pounds.... I'd look gaunt. As we get older, we need a little more softness.

That said, I am taking it a phase at a time and think I will know when I'm at my "right" weight for me.

How do you feel right now in your body? Do you WANT to try to lose another 10? If so, go for it, and see how you feel with those 10 gone. On the other hand, I'd also caution you about other people's advice! Our well-meaning friends and family can sabotage our efforts --- in a variety of ways. You've changed, you could change more --- and that can make people nervous.

I wouldn't over think it -- just do what seems right for you while also being honest with yourself. Ignore what anyone else says, unless of course your doc can give you hard, cold medical reasons to take more weight off.

Bottom line is that you have to be happy with yourself, and only you can decide what that means as far as your weight goes. Maybe stop thinking about the numbers and more how you feel inside your own skin and look inside of your clothes.

Hope this helps!
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    If i got down to what the bmi chart says I should weigh, I would look very bad and prob have people offering to drive me to the hospital. My feelings about this are that you know your body and you know how you are built. I have wide shoulders like a football player and I am 5'11". I cant get down to 155 lbs. That's what I weighed in high school and my body has changed since then. I say use your own judgement. As long as you are healthy and where you want to be size wise I wouldn't worry about the bmi:) Congrats on your weight loss, btw!
  • songbird1973
    Options
    That's funny you posted this because my husband and I were just talking about that. I think sometimes BMI isn't accurate to everyone's body. Everyone is built differently with different bone structure and muscle mass. So to base something strictly by weight and height cannot possibly be the right thing for everyone. I'm sure many others would disagree with me but it's just my opinion.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    BMI is a crock of crap because it does not take into account muscle or body frame. Even the government is moving away from it and realizing it is not accurate. My FIL is a PA, and once had a patient with 3% body fat who was told he was OBESE because of BMI. That happens all the time. Go for what you feel good with. So if you feel like 10 more lbs is right, that's all I'd lose. It might also help you to have your body fat percent tested. The goal is to keep it under 25%, Universities in your area may offer a Bod Pod test, which tells you exactly what percentage of fat vs muscle you have. In my case I have 145.8 lbs of lean body mass, so the recommendation for me to weigh 135 is ridiculous.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Listen to your doctor :)
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel. If you feel great, healthy, active, etc- In my opinion, you're good.

Doctors are idiots sometimes... The number isn't everything.
  • chickylet
    Options
    Do you use weights? You can build muscle that will thin you out and make you look healthier. Before I got pregnant, I weighed 138lbs. I started at 146lbs, lost the 8lbs and started using weights when I worked out. I was a size 10 and went down to a size 4 but didn't lose any more weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I told people how much I weighed they couldn't believe it because I looked so slim but healthy. I was 36 when I started working out and it's amazing how good I felt. I have just recently started working out again since having my daughter and hope to get back to my size 4s. I didn't do to bad, went back to a size 8 after having the baby. You should check out a trainer that is from Calgary, where I live, her name is Jari Love. She has exercises that incorporate weights into her workouts. She has got some videos that are great for people just starting out. One of the women in a few of her videos is 57 and she looks fantastic. Good luck with your journey and great job on the weight you have lost.:happy:
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input!
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you use weights? You can build muscle that will thin you out and make you look healthier. Before I got pregnant, I weighed 138lbs. I started at 146lbs, lost the 8lbs and started using weights when I worked out. I was a size 10 and went down to a size 4 but didn't lose any more weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I told people how much I weighed they couldn't believe it because I looked so slim but healthy. I was 36 when I started working out and it's amazing how good I felt. I have just recently started working out again since having my daughter and hope to get back to my size 4s. I didn't do to bad, went back to a size 8 after having the baby. You should check out a trainer that is from Calgary, where I live, her name is Jari Love. She has exercises that incorporate weights into her workouts. She has got some videos that are great for people just starting out. One of the women in a few of her videos is 57 and she looks fantastic. Good luck with your journey and great job on the weight you have lost.:happy:
    I haven't been but intend to start working out more and will definitely use weights. Thanks!