*pics* INVERTED TRIANGLE WOMEN KNOW THE STRUGGLE

Options
rachelbornstein13
rachelbornstein13 Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2019 in Motivation and Support
IT'S SOOOOO HAAARD to love my body sometimes when our inverted triangle is SO underrepresented amongst models, and the MOMENT you see a (fitness) model that looks SOMEWHAT like your body, the hate/body-shaming comments discourages you about yourself. Those pears, hour glasses—even rectangles— still have a waist smaller than their hips and can pull off the majority of clothes you see at the mall.

Here is my list of common thoughts that haunt my mind. Please add on and let me know if you relate! :s
1. finding dresses SUCK.
- too tight at the waist, not enough "flare"
- why are there SO MANY CUTE bodycon styles that I can never pull off?!?!?!?!
- also i'm PETITE (5'0") #extradisadvantage
2. I avoid crop tops like the plague— they look really good on those greater waists-to-hip ratios
3. IS THAT REALLY WHAT I LOOK LIKE FROM THE BACK?
4. I love wearing shorts and a tanktop (I own many spaghetti strapped blouses) but sometimes I feel like my shoulders are LOUD.
5. GAH WHY ARE SO MANY CUTE SWEATERS "CROP TOP" STYLE
6. I am mostly S in bottoms but I strive to look for M for tops
7. I don't own a bathing suit. For reasons more than not swimming much....
8. at least my LEGS look good.
9. I avoid lurking around Instagram too much to protect my self esteem from shattering when i see Instagram models
10. I WISH I gained my weight in my hips/butt. Even out-of-shape hip-gainers still have nice curves in clothes.

Since I was 12 and played club volleyball, I made the rookie MISTAKE of doing excess HIIT and long cardio sessions for 8 YEARS!!!! I arrived at the stage I think is called: skinny fat. I was very fit and strong, but I failed to add strength training that entire time. Inverted triangles typically gain weight in the tummy, but add skinny fat to that and it complicates things more. I got a slap in the face last September when I got a free Dexa scan for a research study at my university and my report was 30% bf!!!! :'( Luckily, this was about 3 months into my transition to a higher weight training regime.

As of last year, I bought adjustable dumbbells (21lbs each) and created a weight training routine where for 4-5x/week I would be doing the following:
Monday: Total body strength
Tuesday: Max. 20 min HIIT cardio or Pilates
Wednesday: Lower body strength
Thursday: Upper body strength
Friday-Saturday rest unless I am craving a total body strength

Ever since I got my Dexa scan results, I try to avoid too much cardio and I focus on protein and total-body strength. I do not make my workouts longer than 45 minutes! I use Fitness Blender's over 100+ videos so I never get bored. I follow an IIFYM "diet" and for the past year since I focused on weight lifting I have been eating around this amount:

1450 calories
-109 g protein
- 127 g carbs
- 56g fat

On STRENGTH training days, I try to get near my carb level and about half/third of my fat level, but on REST days I try to hit near my fat level and about half/third of my carb level. To compensate the extra calories I just make sure I eat higher protein. I don't get too hard on myself when things aren't perfect.

I bought a scale that connects to an app on your phone and detects bf%, water intake, BMR, and lean mass. I know these can be faulty at times, but since last September my scale started at 30% and now I am around 26-27% bf.

p2l6prhkjqc5.jpg
tckjk0qww7d8.jpg

DAMN progress is SLOWWWW for skinny fat inverted triangles, but I rather be on a sustainable diet where I essentially eat like any average person with better intuition on balanced nutrients. I still am trying to accept my body, and I would LOVE to hear your experience as an inverted triangle.

No matter what my body looks like when I reach my goals, I am GRATEFUL to feel strong, healthy, and powerful. <3

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Well, you are really down on yourself. I don't see all these glaring flaws looking at your photos. It's always a good idea to better ourselves where we can and that includes our minds and personalities. I'd look into books on positive thinking and leave off stewing about your body. Life is full of problems and you have to be ready to confront the serious ones. Keeping yourself at a healthy weight and strong is a good idea, but it won't change your life and make you happy. Try to look at the whole. Just a few thoughts from someone with experience. Good luck.

Agreed.

My honest assessment is that you appear to be carrying most of your body fat around your middle. That is usually one of the last places women lose from. Continue to work on losing BF and I bet you'll see improvement in that stubborn area.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    First off, you look gorgeous. Secondly, I just had the realization after looking at a picture of myself the other week that bone structurally, I am an inverted triangle. I've always considered myself a pear as the majority of my fat storage is in my legs and lower belly, but it's on the INSIDE of my thighs. I have very narrow hips that from the front are not much wider than my waist and my shoulders are the widest part of my body. It does explain why I've always looked terrible in belted dresses. You seem to be the opposite. Inverted triangle bone shape, but pear fat storage.

Unfortunately we can't change our bone structure or fat storage, but you CAN continue to lean out a bit more which will help. (Edited to say if you want to, because you have a beautiful shape as you are.) You can dress to accentuate your shape. A line skirts that flare are our friends. Show off your beautiful shoulders.

If you are looking from an IG role model, check out @angela_gargano. She's the closest I've ever seen to being my body shape twin (and face). Seriously, she could be my - ahem- much younger sister. She's one bad-*kitten* babe with an amazing figure.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    There will always be disadvantages to any body type, I promise. You look wonderful and I think perspective can definitely help. Yesterday I went bathing suit shopping and I literally can't but one piece sits. I'm a full size different between bottom and top. If I'm an 18 in bottoms, I'm a 16 in tops. If I want a one piece, I either will have quad butt or my ladies flipping out of the suit. Neither of those options is a good dinner look. Haha. It's about finding things that flatter your body type and highlight things your proud of.
  • KillaLindzilla
    KillaLindzilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While reading your post I was imagining something completely different. Once I got further down and saw your picture it did not nearly match the description I made in my head. Please try to be more kind to yourself, your body looks perfectly fine. I will encourage you to continue to work on reaching your goals, but you look great.
  • Bombshell_Queen
    Bombshell_Queen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With inverted Triangle body I’ve noticed that you have to lose your fat first before molding your body into the shape you want.. it’s possible. Keep going, your body is already amazing. You look sexy AF! Plus check out babydoll dresses 😉
  • WC1982
    WC1982 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You shouldn’t be so negative on yourself. It looks like all you have left to lose is what is hardest on any person, no matter what body type. But honestly you look good as is
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy. You look healthy and strong. Someone else will always have a little bit more of whatever you want. Goals are fine, but appreciate what you have, too.