Food Drama!

Options
My other half is a junkfood junkie and Im concerned for her health.She has already had a heart attack in her early 20s.She is overweight just like me but doesnt care,eats what she wants when she wants and its chips,soda,debbie cakes,reeces,sugary cereals and milk and chicken soup or waffle house pizza hut etc.I try to eat healthy for healthy and weight issues.If I bring it up she gets upset eats more.Im not sure what to do but to be honest its like we are roomates.Shes a workaholic never home and stuck on soda bad.Im no angel I have my good and bad days but I even made something tonight special thinking she would eat it.She loves beef tips and gravy with rice-I didnt tell her it was the biggest loser meal and I also made broccoli and cheese which she usually likes she hated both!!! Seems I cant cook anything right or get her to walk with me so I guess I will start buying and preparing my own meals and her too> Thats what she said in a stern tone :( I dont know what to do I feel like I have no support and she is mad and never wants to spend time cause she says all I talk about is food and calories.SO,today was a good day food and exercise wise.I walked the dogs at night.It was cooler quieter and just felt good so I may continue that. Any other suggestions????!!!

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Remember back before you started, before you realized you wanted to really get serious about making changes in your life for good? Sounds like that might be where she is, patience and it's amazing how some come around, but pushing them into it never works and often times merely makes a person resentful.

You take care of you, eat well, find ways to move your body and feel good about yourself and use your friends on here to find the support you need until it can be found in other places.:wink::flowerforyou:

She'll see changes, it'll be hard for her at first because you're making major changes, not just food wise but emotionally as well, that's not easy when living with someone, it confuses them and seems foreign.

Most important person in all this MUST be you to keep up with what you have in mind, everything will fall into place after that.:heart:
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    So sorry!! I hope you can find support you need here and maybe, eventually, your other half will come around. I think it's a great idea that you're considering fixing your meals separately, though. It may be a tad more expensive for a while, but definitely worth it, I think, in the long run. Good luck!!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to cook 2 meals..you can't force habits unfortunately. That being said..the chips i buy are baked, salad dressing is fat free, but he now likes those. I choose my battles..Whole Wheat English muffins for example, not a battle to choose for us..good luck, I'm in ur boat :)
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the only thing I can suggest is that you may have to figure out how to compromise on this issue. What it boils down to is that you can only change yourself, not your SO. You can model healthy habits, but you can't force her to make the changes. Also, it's quite possible you're making your SO not only annoyed but also insecure. Talking about calories and eating well may just sound like constant criticism to her, and that's uncomfortable. Not only that, if you start losing weight, and she doesn't, that might look scary to her in terms of your relationship and her attractiveness to you. Remember, you are the one who is changing, not her.

On the other side of the coin, this is what you're interested in right now, and you should be able to talk about it. You might want to see if there are ways to discuss what's up with your healthy lifestyle in such a way that it doesn't sound like you're trying to convert her, change her, or criticize her. I know that'll be tough, but I also know from my own experience that I talk to my SO about the things that are going on in my life. For a while it was all about counting calories and fitting exercise into my schedule (still is to a degree). So maybe you'll just have to have a conversation with her to explain that you talking about this is just you processing your activities. My SO has never counted calories, but has had to listen to me natter on about it quite a lot. He has survived.

Good luck!
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i agree she may be feeling critizised and insecure, however she could be a little more supportive of you. but dont let it discourage you, they are her issues and you cant let that determine your success . keep at it , eventually she may come round but if not just keep going and love her for her. hopefully for her health she will follow your lead when she sees how good you feel :)
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! I didnt even think about it that way.Well,this will work out.It has to I want this too bad and God willing he will maybe push her in the right direction ? Who knows.:)
  • jamesysmom
    Options
    With me my fiance is really supportive, im lucky . However since we do the shopping together and He eats just about what ever I cook. I did make small changes like using ground turkey instead of red meat, I use low fat or no fat options . I have my snacks , and my foods that are healthy . Also instead of making two boxes of hamburger helper I make one and I use the ground turkey. He has supprising started to loose weigt. Luckily I have found healthier options for all the old favoriates. I pack healthy snacks for during the day . My breakfast is usually cereal and then just a pack of snacks and a diet drink and then a meal that I normally cook. You have to take care of you and you hve the right to be healthy just as she has the choice to do what she does. If it were me I would eat my stuff and she may come around and she might not .. Im always here on fb and I know you can do this just one day one step at the time
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks girl!