Best time to take whey and aminos

Hi

Looking members advice on the best time to take whey protein and aminos, my goal is to slowly start gaining muscle, I also do my work outs 1st things in the morning before work,

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Is there anyone who can offer another opinion. I have been on a high protein diet which I would like to replace using whey. Is there a time that is preferred?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    I like to eat after I work out so that’s what I do. But when you eat protein really doesn’t matter, it’s a personal preference.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    I totally get that the timing of eating doesn't really matter. Like the old wisdom that you *have* to get your protein right after your workout or you won't build muscle is garbage. But does anyone know if it's better to space your protein out over the day? I've heard that eating a lot at one time impairs absorption or something.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant and aminos are a waste of money. At the end of the day , as long as you hit your protein totals then you’ll be fine

This...especially with protein sources from whole/real food. Spacing & bioavailability/absorption limits seems more of a problem with rapid onset proteins like whey. Jeff Nippard has a youtube podcast regarding this matter with an expert in the field of protein synthesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otSunLL8AU&t=7s
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2019
    Unless you are some sort of elite bodybuilder or power lifter prepping for a meet, then things like nutrient timing or specific amino acids are pretty much irrelevant most of the time.

Consistently hit your protein and calorie targets while lifting heavy weights a few times a week.
    Or moderate weights more frequently, if that is your thing.

If you aren't in the 1,200 club (or close to it) then you probably have a lot of work to do before worrying about the small stuff.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Protein is good to take whenever, I’d say make sure you’re not wasting your money on *kitten* protein. Avoid concentrates, all fillers and will just bloat you. As for aminos, samething... Whenever, can sip on them throughout the day, before and after workouts.. Casien protein is best if you know you’re not going to be able to eat for 4-6 hours... Start of the work day, before bed... Go with a faster digesting protein for after workouts, typically isolates are best for that.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The actual weight someone is able to lift had no bearing on protein intake. It has more to do with how male someone is, age, gender, etc...

I train a quite a few people up to nearly 90 years old who don't lift anywhere near 1200lbs and they benefit from proper quality protein intake to slow the loss in muscular strength and skeletal muscle mass which affects their health and functional autonomy.

When I was going through cancer and barely able to lift 1000lbs. Monitoring the consumption of protien played a huge role in slowing down the affects of Cachexia which was pivotal for treatments to continue uninterrupted.

I can certainly understand why you stated the bold part, but I believe its more than reasonable to include some of the small stuff rather than dismiss it over a arbitrary number we can lift.

I don't think I disagreed with anything you said, above:

"Consistently hit your protein and calorie targets"

is not at odds with

"If you aren't in the 1,200 club (or close to it) then you ... the small stuff."
    ('small stuff' in this context was "nutrient timing or specific amino acids")

That being all said, from my point of view we are pretty much saying the same thing.

The 1,200 club reference was merely an indicator of how far people can get (in my experience) without worrying about a lot of the small stuff - "nutrient timing or specific amino acids".
    People have been putting on slabs of muscle for a 100 years or more without "Omega Amino Max" or "Nitro Plus Extreme Pre-Workout" supplements.
    Just eating enough food and lifting intelligently is more important that paying $$ for questionable supplements or "majoring in the minors".

To your point, maybe the 1,200 club was a bad way to frame it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Fair enough.

Just wanted to clarify since so many people chase numbers on a short term basis and your most recent comment was mirroring long term which I see now and agree with.

1200 can be achieved relatively easily for sensitive responders to training or impossible for those respond on the resistant side of the spectrum.

Some of those who in the middle might confuse the number assuming it is catch all for all ages/health/abilities 😉.

Thanks for reply.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant and aminos are a waste of money. At the end of the day , as long as you hit your protein totals then you’ll be fine

This...especially with protein sources from whole/real food. Spacing & bioavailability/absorption limits seems more of a problem with rapid onset proteins like whey. Jeff Nippard has a youtube podcast regarding this matter with an expert in the field of protein synthesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otSunLL8AU&t=7s

Listened to this over a couple of gym sessions. It's 2.5 hours overall. Really great stuff and very informative!
  • steverhodes4lu
    steverhodes4lu Posts: 5 Member
    mk2_dee wrote: »
    Hi

Looking members advice on the best time to take whey protein and aminos, my goal is to slowly start gaining muscle, I also do my work outs 1st things in the morning before work,

Thanks in advance
    Is there anyone who can offer another opinion. I have been on a high protein diet which I would like to replace using whey. Is there a time that is preferred?

Hi there is some great advice in here already but what you have to remember is everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another
    Personally I would hedge my bets and go with timing my intake over smaller evenly spaced meals, try to use whole food where possible and whey to supplement the short fall in your protein total target
    The only exception is around your training where studies have shown an intake of bcaa ( or half a scoop of whey) before training can help preserve muscle and a scoop of whey with dextrose immediately after can trigger the repair process I would then follow with another meal of good quality protein ( possibly eggs ) and low glycemic carbs ( poss oats ) within an hour space the rest through the day at 3ish hour intervals