Back in my High schl size!

Options
So today my Hubby finally took my other half of the closet [in a box-LOL] out...it consisted of old pre-marriage/pregnancy clothing size 14s, basically my high school & college school clothing. I happen to have saved some of it because I've always thought to myself [while my whole pregnancy] that I WILL get back to that size. Well, my son is about to be 3 [whoa?! yeah, a whole 3 yrs] & I'm proud to say that I'm FINALLY back in my high school/college size. My Hubby was watching me while I tried on TONS of jeans & medium sized tops....we both had a big 'ol smile on our faces...I just couldn't stop smiling, I mean my cheeks were started to hurt..that's how much/long I was smiling! So yah, that's my AWESOME NSV for the day :-] BUT I have a question/concern....
During my high school & college years I would always weigh in between 160-165lbs & wearing size 14s...now I weigh 182 & wearing size 14s... HOW IS THAT?!?! I'm kind of concerned if I'm doing something wrong in my diet or exercise routine...if anyone can answer my question please let me know..I will very much appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    that's pretty awesome!
    you're probably more toned/muscled now from working out... and muscle weighs more than fat
    thats all i can think of, but who cares? you're back in all you're awesome clothes :)
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have more muscle now. That would be a good thing. :)
  • coxiegirl
    Options
    At the end of my senior year in high school, I weighed 106 pounds (I'm 5 foot 4). I was all 'skinnyfat' though, no muscle mass at all. Very soft and flabby.
    Now I'm starting my sophomore year at college, and I currently weigh 116 pounds and I look exactly the same, except I am MUCH stronger and healthier.

Long story short: the numbers on the scale don't really matter that much. Most of the rowers who are on my team have BMI's that are technically "obese" but they are all very lean and healthy. And GREAT JOB!!! You should be really proud. :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sizes now are also not the same as about 10 years ago. So a size 10 now is bigger than a size 10 from ten years ago. :( It's called vanity sizing :( I'd much prefer the men's version of sizing based on actual measurements but women are too "demure" for real inseam sizing (the reason behind us having completely arbitrary sizes).

I have a pair of leather pants I bought when I was 18 and playboy material, it is a size 8, I'm a size 10 now and NO WHERE near fitting into those pants. :( Soon, soon!
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    it could be vanity sizing (were they fix the sizes to make you feel better about yourself)

I personally cant wait to get back into my highschool clothes (which for me was 2 years ago) but I've found some from my sophomore year i would love to wear again (that was 4 years ago and a size M in juniors-now a size XL in adults)
  • chickylet
    Options
    Are you lifting weights while working out. You could be that size but a heavier weight because muscle weighs more that fat. I was a size 10 before I started working out and weighed 138lbs but when I started working out, I was still 138lbs but was a size 4. It is possible to lean out while not losing weight. Congrats on your weight loss. I am just trying to get myself back in shape after having a baby in Jan. I have 20lbs I want to lose. Good luck with your journey.:smile:
  • britanygtc
    britanygtc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. When comparing the two, a given area muscle will weigh more than the exact same area of fat, by about 18%. It is not unreasonable to gain muscle weight but actually drop clothing sizes. Hope this helps.
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    Oh okay...thanks for the explanations.. I figured I have more muscle than fat now..& that's probably the case because I do lift weights atleast 3xs/week..where as before I did ZERO exercise, ate very poorly & couldn't drink not even an oz. of water!

Good luck to you all on your weight loss journeys! As for myself, I still have 42lbs pending...