Roasting Vegetables

Options
Ok so I love roasted vegetables but I’ve never made them before (besides potatoes). What is your favorite veggie/method of roasting? Help a newbie out! (Ps-I DO NOT like sweet potatoes or Brussel sprouts. Anything else is fair game)

Replies

• drebmc
    drebmc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can oven bake anything really :) Cauliflower, carrot, bell pepper, onion, broccoli... Use spices and herbs to make your veggies more tasty. Onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, chili, harissa, etc. Mixed the veggies with the spices, add some olive oil, spread them on a baking tray and bake them. And do not forget the salt. :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    My favourite method of roasting is putting cut pieces of vegetables in an oven bag with a piece of meat and tiny bit of cooking spray and putting in oven for an hour or so.

So easy I hesitate to label it 'a method.'

When I do a roast this way I use carrot, potato, pumpkin.

• Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In a pyrex add pieces of zucchini, aubergine, onion, tomato, sweet bell pepper. Little sprinkle of sea salt and black and/or white pepper to taste. In a tbsp measure spoon add virgin olive oil from bottle. From spoon drip oil on vegetables carefully use spoon to coat last bit so spoon goes clean and all oil is used up. Perhaps you need a little more oil add some in spoon repeat. In a medium hot oven roast veggies and every so often turn. I usually want veggies not too soft. Prick with a fork see how cooked they are. Serve veggies hot. Any leftovers can be used cold on a sandwich next day.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I use an airfryer to roast my veggies all the time. That way I don't even need to use oil, just some herbs and spices. At the moment I am most enjoying zucchini with a little nutmeg and pepper but I also love asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, bell pepper, pumpkin and those two that you don't. Just play around with different herbs and spices to find which ones you enjoy the most.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I usually use a regular oven- mix potatoes, some garlic, a chopped onion, carrots, parsnips (if available) with some olive oil and spices at 400 degrees. I don’t add any salt to the vegetables til after (hubby is on a low salt diet) . Takes about 40 minutes to cook.
    Taking notes on the other ideas here!! ☺️☺️☺️
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Use whatever veggies & oil you really like.
    I cut the veggies into similar sized pieces and put into a gallon sized zip loc bag. Drizzle with about a tablespoon of oil and seasonings, herbs, and spices of my choice. Seal bag and mix well. I let the bag sit on the counter, flat, for about an hour, flipping several times. When ready to roast, I put the veggies on a parchment lined baking sheet (to prevent sticking and easy clean up) and roast.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas!
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this out there because I was looking for some ideas as well.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like to roast... potatoes, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, red onion, zucchini... I'm sure there's others. My favorite is to do like, all of them at once. I have to space them out since the carrots for example take a lot longer to cook than the zucchini. I just toss them in olive oil and a little salt and pepper. At the end I douse them in everything bagel seasoning. That's my favorite thing to put on vegetables.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You basically toss with oil and salt (plus any spices you want to use) then roast and keep checking until they're ready. It's simple. You can roast anything, really, even romaine lettuce! The main thing to remember is if the vegetable is too watery, try not to snack it too close or on top of each other.

I like roasted cabbage "disks". You cut the cabbage into thin rounds, but not thin enough to fall apart. Brush oil on both sides (I prefer garlic infused EVOO), drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and any spices you wish to use (I like cumin). I like them plain without sauce, with just a squeeze of lemon.

Even fruits can be roasted. Just toss with sugar and roast. In this case, however, stacking is okay and even preferable for some fruits (like berries). Just make sure you do them in a deep dish because they give juice.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You basically toss with oil and salt (plus any spices you want to use) then roast and keep checking until they're ready. It's simple. You can roast anything, really, even romaine lettuce! The main thing to remember is if the vegetable is too watery, try not to snack it too close or on top of each other.

I like roasted cabbage "disks". You cut the cabbage into thin rounds, but not thin enough to fall apart. Brush oil on both sides (I prefer garlic infused EVOO), drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and any spices you wish to use (I like cumin). I like them plain without sauce, with just a squeeze of lemon.

Even fruits can be roasted. Just toss with sugar and roast. In this case, however, stacking is okay and even preferable for some fruits (like berries). Just make sure you do them in a deep dish because they give juice.

ohhh i hadn't considered roasted fruits! i mean i like grilled peaches - duh
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Re salt as it has been mentioned by several.posters.

You do not need to roast things with salt. I never add salt to roasts.

( sure, you can if you want to, but posts seem to be coming across that it is a neccesary requirement - It is not)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I made roasted rainbow carrots yesterday. Tossed them in garlic-infused olive oil, salt, and pepper. After they were done, I tossed in some fresh dill. They were delicious.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I toss broccoli with a little lemon pepper spice, a little minced garlic and a little olive oil. Pop it in the oven for half an hour and enjoy the delicious.

For carrots and green beans, I use paprika, Italian spice (mix of rosemary, sage, parsley, thyme I get at the store) and a dash of salt, with olive oil.

For asparagus I just use steak spice and oil.

I have grapeseed oil also. Its flavor neutral, in case you don't like the taste of stuff like olive oil. I mostly use it for tempura.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    This has basically been said already, but I will roast just about any vegetable in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. You don't need much of any of those, just sprinkle some on and then toss with your hands so all of the veggies get coated. Sometimes I will also add garlic powder, chile powder, lemon rind, or rosemary. Put them in the oven at basically any temperature between 350 and 425 degrees F and bake until they start to brown. I do the same prep but with larger pieces for grilling veggies.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Basically most of what was said already. What I would add is that you should try not to overcrowd the pan just as you would try not to do on the stove. Otherwise they end up steaming as well. Additionally there's no need to drench them in oil which is something someone I was taking to a while ago mentioned she was doing (and was probably why her roasted vegetables didn't turn out well).
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Cauliflower "steaks" are delicious. I use Mediterranean spices on them (ie basil, bay leaf, black pepper, cloves, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, garlic, etc.). I also love to roast beets, traditional red and golden, alone or with other root veggies. On beets, I love a sprinkle of thyme and sea salt. When mixed with other root veggies (including sweet potato); I like powdered chicken stock and chili powder. It gives it that "sweet heat" flavor I love.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a lazy cook, I take a precut veggie tray (tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sometimes celery) and put it on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I'll season the veggies, spray them again, and bake on 400. Sometimes I'll toss in a sliced onion, or use precut stir fry veggie trays or even frozen veggies.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My favorite is to cut zucchini and squash into "spears", spray or toss with olive oil, sprinkle seasoning (I like seasoned salt and pepper) and roast! Make sure to spray the pan as well! I think I do them for 35 minutes at 400 (but I always check on the about halfway and then towards the end to make sure they don't burn)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I roast broccoli and cauliflower pretty often. You can just use frozen veggies, coat them in olive oil and whatever herbs you like, then pop them in the over at 350 for about a half hour or so. I usually stir them around once or twice while cooking.

Sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, and zucchini roast very well. My go-to spice blend is salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Trader Joe's "Everything but the Bagel" seasoning works well for roasted veggies as well.