Hi.

Options
Fairly new to MFP. So far doing an awesome job (for me, lol) on tracking food. Exercise, not so much but working on it. Here's my dilemma. I work swing shift from 3:00 to 11:00 p.m. I eat dinner around 5:30 p.m. and have a snack or two (usually fruit or nuts) prior to 11:00 but I am always hungry when I get home. I'm up until about 2:00 a.m. usually laying in bed watching tv. I've been eating a peanutbutter sandwhich (wheat bread, lowfat p.b.) with a glass of skim milk and often a cup of cherries just to fill me up and help me sleep but that's alot of calories. Anybody got an idea about what I can have that will serve the same purpose and not run the calorie count up? Thanks.

Replies

• moprincess76
    Options
    can you eat your "dinner" later during your shift?
  • moprincess76
    Options
    can you eat your "dinner" later during your shift?

I worked swing for yrs and had the same problem.. i switched when i ate my dinner to 8-9 pm and the starving feeling went away...
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You can warm up that skim milk and add cinnamon. That's a lower calorie snack that will help you feel more relaxed so you can sleep.

What about eating a hard boiled egg with light salt & pepper? I find that one of those satisfies my hunger easily. (You can cook a bunch and store them in the fridge.) Any more than one, and you'll worry about calories. Add in some string cheese perhaps?

Peanut butter usually fills me up if I eat the regular version. I go with the all natural stuff that isn't loaded up with corn syrup. What if you tried that and limited yourself to some low calorie crackers instead of the bread? Or swipe it on celery with some raisins (i.e., ants on a log)?
  • Danelyh
    Danelyh Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, :happy: I am a night eater and have had to curb that desire to pig out in the evening. These are some of the foods I eat
    Baked potato with one TBS I can't believe its not butter, salt and pepper
    Shredded wheat and bran cereal 1 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup skim milk
    3-6 whole wheat or multi-grain crackers (depends on the serving size with 1-2 ounces of cheese
    Plain oatmeal with 1/4 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon of splenda
    If I really need to munch I make a salad 1-2 cups with 2 ounces chicken tender (cut up), or sliced almonds, dried cranberries, mandrin oranges, whatever sounds good and only 1 TBS of salad dressing
    1/2 cup frozen red seedless grapes:tongue:
    2 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup shredded cheese
    None of these things are really loaded with calories or fat and they stay with you longer and you don't get hungry again in an hour or two.
    If you are interested, please add me as a friend. I can use all the support, motivation and food/meal tips I can get :smile:
  • eeva53
    eeva53 Posts: 4
    Options
    That's a good idea. I've been so locked into this schedule I didn't think about that. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  • eeva53
    eeva53 Posts: 4
    Options
    Good suggestions. Thanks for being so specific. I have very little imagination when it comes to food, lol. How do I add you as a friend?