When eating a midnight snack, what day should you log it in?

Options
Since I'm a teenager, I stay up until like, 3:30 in the morning. I'm obviously bound to get hungry...my question is, whenever I'm eating after 12, should I put it in the for the previous day because I'm not sleeping yet? Or should I put it in for the next day because it's after 12?

Replies

• Laquaya
    Laquaya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thiing.
  • themsbauer
    themsbauer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i keep adding food on the same day until i go to sleep. even if i stay up really really late. so i dont start tracking until i get up again
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    I would say the previous day since you didn't actually "sleep" and start a new day of calories.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Well DUH! Log it BOTH days! Everyone knows food after 8 counts double!

Actually... I agree with everyone else... log it as Today.
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me, I would put it under the previous day since I haven't gone to bed yet. I consider a day from one "sleep" to the next. But I don't think it really matters as long as it gets logged somewhere.
  • adventuring
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter as long as you factor it in somewhere because the real matter is your weekly deficit. If you have calories left over, put it on today. If you don't, put it on tomorrow and make sure you don't go over then. At the end of the week, that's the same amount of calories.
  • aggiecs
    aggiecs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I count it as part of the previous day - I figure it's 24 hours, just not necessarily from 12 to 12. :)
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm a night worker, don't usually go to bed until around 2am, and usually eat "dinner" at about 12:30am or so.
    I always log things in the chronological day, not the calendrical day.
    Basically, I divide my day by when I sleep, not when the clock says, so if I eat before sleep, it's the day preceeding, and after sleep, I log the next day.

Pj
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yeah unless i have a huge deficit then i cut it out of the next day's calorie intake
  • NewNdebeleWife09
    Options
    I am a night owl too! :laugh: I personally would put it on the day you consider it (such as you are awake at 4.30am, consider it the day before. It's 4.15am today, and I would consider that Wednesday night not Thursday morning) it's personal choice though!
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    I count it as the same day too, If I haven't been asleep
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    i keep adding food on the same day until i go to sleep. even if i stay up really really late. so i dont start tracking until i get up again

I do this as well.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've seen some food diaries where instead of types of meals, people change their labels to blocks of time. So instead of "breakfast" someone might have "8am-11am". That seems like a nice way to customize your diary if your schedule doesn't line up well with the standard MFP food diary. You can change those food diary headers under the "tools" tab. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Either way, just do it consistently every time.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I log it for the day after if i'm eating after 12 (because it is the day after!)...plus I balance out my calories and eat super healthy the following day to balance out the calories!!
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters, so long as you're consistent.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I log it for the 'previous day' since I stay up until 3 in the morning a few days a week I'm usually eating until 1 or 2. It's not a new day for me until I've been to bed and gotten back up.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    yeah unless i have a huge deficit then i cut it out of the next day's calorie intake

This would be an example of NOT being consistent.
  • fbuschur
    fbuschur Posts: 57
    Options
    I take it out of "tomorrow"s calories. I shouldn't be eating that late at all, so I punish myself by starting with yesterdays late night binge...
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers :) I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter as long as I'm being consistent and the calories go somewhere. :)